XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

File or Folder Not Available (USB MUSIC)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default File or Folder Not Available (USB MUSIC)

I have a problem that is really upsetting me!! I have a 16gb usb, usually I put songs in it and all of the songs work. Recently I added more songs but when I try to play them, an error "File or Folder Not Available" come up. Can you help me on solving this problem please?
Thanks

Old 09-16-2013, 02:17 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I would take the songs off that you added and see if it works again. You may need to reformat the USB drive and readd songs. I believe the format needs to be fat32 for the drive.

Old 10-29-2016, 03:27 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you ever find out what caused this?

I too am experiencing similar. No matter what I do the same error is displayed.

All the tracks play perfectly well on any number of other players just not on a USB stick in the XF. Never had this issue before.

Have tried converting the files to mp3's again, changing bit-rates, sampling etc but all to no effect. Defragged the memory stick, re-formatted and repopulated to no effect. So I'm rather lost now.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:38 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

MoabUtah, just to ask a silly question, but are you using the music in the constant bit rate (CBR) or in variable bit rate (VBR) format? The radio will not play any music that is in the VBR format. If you are playing the music through say an iPod, that is doing the conversion for you so the radio will be able to play the music. Once I straightened out my music (had a mix of CBR and VBR), all the music works and I have not had any issues.

The following users liked this post:
MoabUtah (10-30-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 02:32 AM

Everything is in CBR.

Playing everything on a 32GB USB memory stick. Files are sorted into high level folders named Audiobooks and Music. Then split down to respective artist and album folders.

Over 30 books and 100 albums are stored and no problems with anything until yesterday with the addition of a new album. I have even re-ripped the CD and re-named it on the USB stick all to no avail.

To say I am confused is an understatement.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:02 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

MoabUtah, it may be possible that the USB stick suffered an internal failure. I would try finding a new stick to transfer stuff on to and see if the same files have the same issues. Most likely, the portion of the stick that stores where files are located has failed and this is causing the radio to be sent on a wild goose chase to find the information, leading to it doing what it is doing. if the failure was in the portion that stored the music/books, then only that one file would not work.

The following users liked this post:
MoabUtah (10-30-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 08:22 AM

Yes, you may be correct. The odd thing was that some of the tracks were already on the drive under a different album and played correctly. By copying these tracks into a second album before deleting the original non-playing versions they now play okay. So possibly some bad sectors involved .... would have thought they'd have been sorted with a format but anyhow, it appears resolved for the time being.

Thanks for your input.