XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Finding right brake pads for 2011 JX

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finding right brake pads for 2011 JX

I hope this will make sense as it is confusing me!

The 'Brake pads worn' warning came on the other day on my 2011 Jaguar XJ. I tried to figure out which pads were needed and when I looked online there are only 2 types I can find:

1. Front pads which are fitted for a brake wear sensor.
2. Rear pads which specifically say they are NOT fitted for a brake wear sensor.

That made me conclude that it had to be the front pads that were worn as they are the only ones that could have had sensors. So I ordered the pads and sensors, stripped wheel and caliper off to replace and the pads are as good as new with virtually no wear.

That makes e think it MUST be the rear pads. However I cannot find any online that say they are suitable for brake wear sensor! Weirdly I have found rear brake wear sensors... just not rear pads that will take them!

So, would love advice on what I am missing

Many thanks,

Stuart

Old 06-01-2017, 01:38 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Why not take off the rear wheels and look. That way you'll

1) see if the pads are worn
2) see if they do/don't have pad wear sensors
3) avoid buying even more incorrect parts.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:48 PM
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

Did you take off both wheels at the front ? could be uneven wear and may have been the sensor on the other wheel maybe ? When I have done my front ones I cannot remember if the sensor is on the inner or out pad, did you check both inner and outer ?

Old 06-01-2017, 03:58 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Stuart, when I replaced my rear pads, I simply pulled the old sensors off and slid them on to the new pads. Very easy to do. The only time you need to replace the sensors is if you let the warning light go for a big and you actually wore off the end of the sensor leading to a broken wire in the sensor (which it is designed to do). But, if you catch it fairly quickly, you won't need a sensor.

If you need some tricks for getting the e-brake reset without having to do a lot of playing around with a computer or whatnot, let me know. Takes just a minute per side to reset things so you don't get any warning lights after the pad change.

Old 06-03-2017, 11:17 PM
Received 225 Likes on 144 Posts

Assuming you have confirmed it is the rear pads that are worn, check what roviw suggests in post 3, then you can source rear pads and a sensor. When I changed my 2012 rear pads I used centric 105.10950. These are ceramics as I wanted to cut down on brake dust. There are other pad varieties available.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Brake pad wear sensor Rear.pdf (578.9 KB, 120 views)