XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

More Issues (Continued)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Default More Issues (Continued)

If you read my other read, which a lot of people apparently have, you'd know I've had problems since before I bought the car (from the initial test drive - which in and of itself was an indicator of things to come). Regardless. After Jaguar having my car for over a week... I get to enjoy it for one half of a day (this morning), only to have the parking sensors and rear view camera go out... ignoring this and hoping it was the last time, I put it into drive and guess what? The entire console goes out! YAY! I grabbed my camera like I have been doing to get 'proof' since they can't seem to duplicate anything, ever, even though I have THIRTY ONE 1+ minute videos, detailing everything I've complained about... but the screen popped back on and I got nothing.

To top it off... I have to speak with an accent and redneck to get the voice command to function properly. I have a 3 minute video of it trying to accept me saying "Florida" as the search area. I speak extremely clearly and with no accent (I'm from the US), with proper tone and inflection... so needless to say. Each time I get my car back, something additional is wrong.

Jaguar has put almost as many miles on the car 'testing it' and 'taking it home with them' then I have (Yeah, I was told someone took it home to test it at length during a drive).

Just thought I'd continue to update everyone on the Gullivers Travels versions as it pertains to my Kia XJ L!

Old 01-11-2011, 01:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I forgot hoe I did it but you have to change the voice from uk to English USA that helps

Old 01-11-2011, 09:13 AM

I already checked that... it's set accurately. I even did the voice training to make 100% sure.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by New2Jag
If you read my other read, which a lot of people apparently have, you'd know I've had problems since before I bought the car (from the initial test drive - which in and of itself was an indicator of things to come). Regardless. After Jaguar having my car for over a week... I get to enjoy it for one half of a day (this morning), only to have the parking sensors and rear view camera go out... ignoring this and hoping it was the last time, I put it into drive and guess what? The entire console goes out! YAY! I grabbed my camera like I have been doing to get 'proof' since they can't seem to duplicate anything, ever, even though I have THIRTY ONE 1+ minute videos, detailing everything I've complained about... but the screen popped back on and I got nothing.

To top it off... I have to speak with an accent and redneck to get the voice command to function properly. I have a 3 minute video of it trying to accept me saying "Florida" as the search area. I speak extremely clearly and with no accent (I'm from the US), with proper tone and inflection... so needless to say. Each time I get my car back, something additional is wrong.

Jaguar has put almost as many miles on the car 'testing it' and 'taking it home with them' then I have (Yeah, I was told someone took it home to test it at length during a drive).

Just thought I'd continue to update everyone on the Gullivers Travels versions as it pertains to my Kia XJ L!
You definitely have a lemon there and your dealer and Jaguar should work with you to swap it out for a different one--you will never be happy with that particular car after all you're going through. Most of us have had some glitches that were annoying and frustrating, but it seems from most of the posts in this forum (and, of course, forum threads by their nature mostly contain complaints) that, in general, the issues have been resolved after a reasonable length of time to the owners' satisfaction. This is really a great car when everything works and there are no extraneous sounds emantating, so hopefully you're not too turned off at this point.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I really admire your patience. If it was me I would have already had a major fit - with my lawyer present - and either would have gotten a new car or demanded a full refund. How much $ the XJ sells for? 90K or so? Please.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

I really admire your patience, too. I would have blown a major lid by now. After reading all that, you must have a real lemon. After all these attempts Jaguar should do the right thing and exchange your car for another one. In their own interest and in the interest of fairness. The car you have will never make you happy. Please know that not all cars are like yours. As you can see here. I had a few issues. Basically one pre-delivery "rework" of tsb's and one more visit took care of ALL of them and so far they fixes lasted over a 1,000 miles and 2 months.
But during that time reading your post made me very concerned. I hope they exchange that lemon for you so you can enjoy what how great the new XJ is. Good luck.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:21 PM

New2Jag,

You should post your videos on YouTube on a "2011 XJ Review" video, mentioning the good things about the car and also the stupid issues. All the so called "reviews" on you tube about this car are nothing more than sales pitch videos. Maybe if the truth starts to hurt, Jaguar will put more effort on ironing the issues once and for all, and the internet is great for making all this possible.

The following users liked this post:
JL108 (01-25-2011)
Old 01-17-2011, 03:46 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I agree with Maybe XJ. As much as I like my car so far what you are going through is totally unacceptable and is something no one should have to go through at this price point. For me living in Germany I completely understand why Mercedes, Audi, and BMW hold the stature they do. They make a ton of cars and models(some only for the European market) and they are consistently above average. I think you have to compare a Jaguar to an Aston Martin and Maserati. While not as expensive you feel as if you are getting a personalized car, I mean after all they only make three models. So when you buy a car that is suppose to be of that caliber and it is having this many problems at a point it becomes unacceptable. I mean after all the XJ was unveiled in 2009(I sat in it at the Frankfurt Car Show), delayed for 2010 and released for 2011. So really they had a full year to work all this mess out. And the lack of a standard of knowledge coming from their dealership's is something Jaguar should not tolerate if they want to succeed again in the US market. Jaguar is not BMW or Audi and doesn't have the years of consistency they do which garners customer loyalty. I really want Jaguar to succeed for several reason. First and foremost I own one and don't wanna be that guy that owns a car from a car company that no longer exist. Second, I believe they make some of the most beautiful cars on this planet as seen by the XJ winning the Design of the Year Award. And finally, Jaguars are cool in the way Aston Martins are cool. BMWs are nice, Lexus' are nice. Jaguars are cool. So end the end Jaguar needs to start behaving like the boutique car maker it is and treat its customers accordingly. I think the VW Group would have made a better owner for Jaguar than Tata but only time will tell.

Last edited by ExpatJag; 01-17-2011 at 03:48 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Maybe_XJ
New2Jag,

You should post your videos on YouTube on a "2011 XJ Review" video, mentioning the good things about the car and also the stupid issues. All the so called "reviews" on you tube about this car are nothing more than sales pitch videos. Maybe if the truth starts to hurt, Jaguar will put more effort on ironing the issues once and for all, and the internet is great for making all this possible.
Excellent Idea!

Old 01-17-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
I agree with Maybe XJ. As much as I like my car so far what you are going through is totally unacceptable and is something no one should have to go through at this price point. For me living in Germany I completely understand why Mercedes, Audi, and BMW hold the stature they do. They make a ton of cars and models(some only for the European market) and they are consistently above average. I think you have to compare a Jaguar to an Aston Martin and Maserati. While not as expensive you feel as if you are getting a personalized car, I mean after all they only make three models. So when you buy a car that is suppose to be of that caliber and it is having this many problems at a point it becomes unacceptable. I mean after all the XJ was unveiled in 2009(I sat in it at the Frankfurt Car Show), delayed for 2010 and released for 2011. So really they had a full year to work all this mess out. And the lack of a standard of knowledge coming from their dealership's is something Jaguar should not tolerate if they want to succeed again in the US market. Jaguar is not BMW or Audi and doesn't have the years of consistency they do which garners customer loyalty. I really want Jaguar to succeed for several reason. First and foremost I own one and don't wanna be that guy that owns a car from a car company that no longer exist. Second, I believe they make some of the most beautiful cars on this planet as seen by the XJ winning the Design of the Year Award. And finally, Jaguars are cool in the way Aston Martins are cool. BMWs are nice, Lexus' are nice. Jaguars are cool. So end the end Jaguar needs to start behaving like the boutique car maker it is and treat its customers accordingly. I think the VW Group would have made a better owner for Jaguar than Tata but only time will tell.
And not to mentione that the Jaguar is overall a better car as lets say a Maseratti. Those Maseratti consistently don't get very high reviews by testers because of a variety of shortcomings. Yet, they cost double then a Jaguar. And that despite the fact that Maseratti is owned by German Volkswagen.
So, YES I want Jaguar to stick around as well. I always can get Mercedes, BMW, Audi or something like that. But the Germans admit in their own press and magazines that their design style all geared to be "clean and functional" while "exciting and fun" can rarely be found. I.e. my CLS63 which has great exterior lines (at the cost of interior space) has a VERY BORING and bare interior.
So, YES I hope Jaguar is listening. I believe they do. Not sure about their capabilities to make corrections and how quickly.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:16 PM

Perhaps with the exception of Ferraris, Italian cars are HORRIBLE in their electrical systems. I had a very experienced mechanic tell me once that the Italian auto engineers will use a 30 Ohm resistor in their circuits that ask for a 50 Ohm resistor just because it will "work the same way". Yeah right.

Same goes for French cars. I will never forget when I was in Germany with a French rental car - Renault Mégane - what a POS! The buttons for the a/c were in the left side of the steering wheel -on the dashboard where the lights switch should be - and you needed a toothpick to press them... Not to mention that I was going at 120mph maxed out and I had the BMWs zooming by as if I was parked.

Back to Jags, I indeed hope they read these forums - and I mean dealerships AND the people at the headquarters. I would even say that a reply here from someone at Jag would only enhance their image - after all they would be sending a signal that they care about their customers. Unless they would post something like 'sorry, good luck'. That would suck!!

Last edited by Maybe_XJ; 01-17-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:33 PM

I am going to email the link to this forum to the VP of PR for Jaguar NA. Whether he chooses to use it or not will be completely up to him. I really want to get it to someone at Jaguar UK.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:48 AM

Well I agree with everyone that this car is awesome in every sense of the word in comparison to pretty much any other high end car, there is no question there, but as of this point, I don't think I'd buy a Jaguar again after the way I've been treated the last few weeks, which is to say, very casually.

I emailed them last Monday asking for resolution - it's Tuesday and nothing. If this is how they treat customers, they can forget about me being a repeat customer. What's comical is that they had an Aston Vantage, which I really want... the service PRIOR to the sale was amazing... (half the reason I bought at that dealership rather than drive 100 miles to save $1500)... I told the owner of the dealership that his sales peson was the reason I was happy. Second I drove off the lot... that all went away. No "I'm sorry Clyde for having your car a month" or "I'm sorry Clyde that each time you've picked it up, you have to bring it back the next day".

Most of friends don't even believe that I own the car at this point because, like the Loch Ness Monster, they've only heard of other people actually seeing it - never seeing it themselves.

I hope someone from Jaguar NA reads this and thinks to themselves, "Gee, 30 year olds aren't really our target market, maybe he will tell all of his friends either how awesome or how horrible the car and service after the sale was and we can start selling to the younger generation as well... lets make him happy.

That will be wishful thinking as this car is depressing at this point... Today is the first day I've driven it since last WEdnesday (seriously) because it's such a sore spot for me.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Maybe_XJ
Perhaps with the exception of Ferraris, Italian cars are HORRIBLE in their electrical systems. I had a very experienced mechanic tell me once that the Italian auto engineers will use a 30 Ohm resistor in their circuits that ask for a 50 Ohm resistor just because it will "work the same way". Yeah right.

Same goes for French cars. I will never forget when I was in Germany with a French rental car - Renault Mégane - what a POS! The buttons for the a/c were in the left side of the steering wheel -on the dashboard where the lights switch should be - and you needed a toothpick to press them... Not to mention that I was going at 120mph maxed out and I had the BMWs zooming by as if I was parked.

Back to Jags, I indeed hope they read these forums - and I mean dealerships AND the people at the headquarters. I would even say that a reply here from someone at Jag would only enhance their image - after all they would be sending a signal that they care about their customers. Unless they would post something like 'sorry, good luck'. That would suck!!
Oh yeah, it's all true. Having been raised in Germany I know all about the French and Italian cars. There is a reason they never made it in the US market despite several attempts.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by New2Jag
Well I agree with everyone that this car is awesome in every sense of the word in comparison to pretty much any other high end car, there is no question there, but as of this point, I don't think I'd buy a Jaguar again after the way I've been treated the last few weeks, which is to say, very casually.

I emailed them last Monday asking for resolution - it's Tuesday and nothing. If this is how they treat customers, they can forget about me being a repeat customer. What's comical is that they had an Aston Vantage, which I really want... the service PRIOR to the sale was amazing... (half the reason I bought at that dealership rather than drive 100 miles to save $1500)... I told the owner of the dealership that his sales peson was the reason I was happy. Second I drove off the lot... that all went away. No "I'm sorry Clyde for having your car a month" or "I'm sorry Clyde that each time you've picked it up, you have to bring it back the next day".

Most of friends don't even believe that I own the car at this point because, like the Loch Ness Monster, they've only heard of other people actually seeing it - never seeing it themselves.

I hope someone from Jaguar NA reads this and thinks to themselves, "Gee, 30 year olds aren't really our target market, maybe he will tell all of his friends either how awesome or how horrible the car and service after the sale was and we can start selling to the younger generation as well... lets make him happy.

That will be wishful thinking as this car is depressing at this point... Today is the first day I've driven it since last WEdnesday (seriously) because it's such a sore spot for me.
I do believe every word. I tried to custom order a car and some dealers had NO CLUE how to even get it done right and what options are available when. I contacted Jaguar NA to complain about the dealer and all I got is some sweet female voice giving me lip service and sweet talk. She said she even contacted the dealer and talked to them. But no action whatsoever. All just blabla and BS.
I went to a delaer which is now 30 miles out of my way but which I know from the past as I bought Jaguars there before. Going to Elmhurst Jaguar made all the difference in the world. But Jaguar NA and their represantitves have no idea how to make a customer feel as a valued customer. I had the feeling they had no interest selling a $92k car. Eventhoug I know they work behind the scenes I hope they do something to improve customer communication and relation. I would not buy another Jaguar if I'd be in your position. No way. OK, you got a lemon. Stuff happens. But all you aks them is to make it right and treat you with respect and giving you the feeling to be a valued customer. In you and their own interest. For a car in this class that is not too much to ask. It should be understood and expected. No doubt. I am really sorry for you. I would have lost all the fun on the car after those problems.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:36 PM

I emailed the Vice President of PR for Jaguar NA. And gave him the link to this site. Everytime I have emailed him he has responded maybe not in what I would call a timely matter but he is a VP and I am just happy he responded. If I were you New2Jag I would shoot him an email explaining your situation and see if he can point you in a direction. I would make a point to let him know how the dealership it totally ruining it for them and that word of mouth is very powerful.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
I emailed the Vice President of PR for Jaguar NA. And gave him the link to this site. Everytime I have emailed him he has responded maybe not in what I would call a timely matter but he is a VP and I am just happy he responded. If I were you New2Jag I would shoot him an email explaining your situation and see if he can point you in a direction. I would make a point to let him know how the dealership it totally ruining it for them and that word of mouth is very powerful.

If anybody is curious as to where I got that information from see below.

http://www.interactivejaguar.com/home/index.php

Old 01-18-2011, 02:04 PM

New2Jag... When you send an email to this guy, send him the link for your posted videos on YouTube showing all the BS.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

And that despite the fact that Maseratti is owned by German Volkswagen.

^huh no. VW group owns major competitors..Bugatti and Lamborghini Fiat owns maseratti

Old 01-19-2011, 09:52 AM

I'd be more than impressed and probably felt that someone made things right if someone like him actually stepped in and helped try to fix this.

I dropped the car off, again, this morning... 6th time... 7th if you count the four days they were fixing it before I purchased it since things were wrong. I was called last night, told that an engineer was coming down and that they would work on it. What's funny is that is what I was told last time it was there for a week so we'll see.

My sales person saw me there and we chit chatted for 10 or so odd minutes and he was genuinely apologetic... like I said before, he's about the main reason, besides the car itself, that we bought there. He assured me he would make it right and make me happy since I've been the most patient person he's dealt with.

I'll say it again. Maybe if Jaguar paid more attention to the younger generations, especially since most of us are hyper-connected on the web and blab until they're blue in the face online good or bad, they would open up a new revenue stream for themselves.

If they fix it... terrific, but something needs to be done to compensate me. Whether it's making my payments the last two months, or, like I suggested, the very nice set of aftermarket MOZ rims they have sitting on a car out front in exchange for my set. It's aggravating to hear all the free stuff everyone has received for their troubles after one visit and here I am on #7 and the only thing I got was a request from one person unrelated to my purchase to give them all 5's on the survey regardless of how things were.

We shall see after this last attempt. Against my better judgment, I took it in without filling out the defect notice form and sending it certified. I was assured by someone 'high up' that if they couldnt' get me resolution, he would go to bat for me and get the car replaced by way of his rep. I hope taking someone at their word and a hand shake won't bite me in the ***.

Quick Reply: More Issues (Continued)