XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

New service bulletin released today for roof popping/creeking

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default New service bulletin released today for roof popping/creeking

FYI for everyone who still has the roof noises a new bulletin was released today. This bulletin is to fix the creaking and popping noises from the roof when the body of the car flexes ( I.e. Bumps, driveways, turning sharply). There is a kit of screws, Teflon washers, and possibly brackets that will need to be ordered so call your dealer and get yours ordered and make an appointment. Looks like it would take a couple hours to complete. The headliner has to come down and Teflon washers are installed between the sunroof track and the roof and a bunch of screws are replaced and torqued to certain specs depending which screws. I was talking with a field engineer today said they have completed a few already and have had success with it.

The following users liked this post:
Randy Mounts (02-20-2020)
Old 09-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

My dealer ordered this parts kit for me today--should take about a week to come in. The roof popping just started again in the right rear of the car, but not nearly as bad as when I first got it in June, 2010 when they fixed it until now (currently 13,000 miles). Only happens when I go over a major bump or sharply turn up an incline--like austinmartus says, when the body flexes.

I'm going on vacation Friday for a couple of weeks, so I have an appointment to install the parts on Monday, October 10th. I'll post up the results.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Released from who?

Old 09-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I went in to my dealer today and asked if they would order me the kit without me leaving the car there first. She went back to talk to the service manager and he said they would prefer to check the car out before ordering. It must be standard policy. Anyways their giving me a Jag loaner so I agreed. She said they just did two cars with the new kit and said it's a major operation. She referred to the word "casting" when talking about the fix and I was wondering if anyone was familiar with that term. Anyways I'm taking the car in on Tuesday morning and we'll see what happens..... I was under the impression this new fix wasn't coming out until Oct. but she said it's out now.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:43 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

It is on the Topix website but you have to pay to view it but it is out there. I mentioned it on another thread. JTB00236NAS1 - Panoramic Roof Noise should be the fix.

The following users liked this post:
Cadillac (09-23-2011)
Old 09-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could kill my dealer. Dropped off my car for the "ticking noise" in the sunroof at the beginning of the week. I asked him "you want me to drive you around to hear it" and he said "No, we know what it is".

Well, go to pick it up today.. Lo and behold, no repairs made, could not duplicate the issue. These guys must be deaf, it took me about 10 seconds on the road to hear it again.

I sent them an e-mail scheduling another appointment when the new fix comes in. My problem is different (no "pop", just a "ticking" and rattling in the roof area), but I figure I might as well kill 2 birds with one stone.

My face had to be classic when he said "we couldn't hear anything". Are you guys deaf from listening to so many popping roofs?

Old 09-23-2011, 04:30 PM

Well the new fix is apparently in because that's why my car's going in on Tuesday. It better be in! I also offered to drive them around to no avail..... RippedPuma I don't think their going to perform any TSB on your car unless it's experiencing the problem (POPS, KNOCKING & "CRACKING GLASS!"). The dealers aren't going to order parts unless they know that's the problem. Good luck!

Old 09-25-2011, 11:40 AM

my roof sounds worse than ever. It sounds like cracking & popping noises now I cant take it .

Old 09-25-2011, 12:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After the new fix? Or is it just getting worse by itself?

Originally Posted by jcamp
my roof sounds worse than ever. It sounds like cracking & popping noises now I cant take it .

Old 09-25-2011, 03:41 PM

I'll let everyone know what happens on Tuesday.........

Old 09-25-2011, 05:58 PM

no not the new fix dealer told me the kit will be in mid october. can't wait!

Old 10-11-2011, 06:35 PM

Took my car in yesterday morning for the latest roof popping TSB. Got it back today at noon and it is fixed (for now). Here is what was listed on the service order:

Performed repair as per TSB JTB00236. Fit washers to roof and roof alignment.
1 C2D23230 Kit
Part #C2D16894

They also fixed a ticking noise that was coming from the right front passenger area:

Cause: Binding at hinges and body panels.
Performed repair as per SSM52597. Adjusted body panel under hood for noise.

They also addressed a few recall issues:

Completed K062. Replaced rear antenna pod cover.
Completed K075. Reconfigured BCM (sidelights can remain on at ignition off).
Completed K084. Level bonnet catch assembly spring.
Completed J019. Wiper arm adjustment.
Completed K088. Replaced center console glove box lid latch.
Could not complete K069. Replace drivers air bag module-parts on order.

Car is currently quiet as a mouse and I really tried to make the roof pop by going up and down some inclines that were causing the noise before the repair. Hopefully it doesn't loosen up again and start popping. The first fix back in July, 2010 lasted until just a month or so ago.

Great service from my dealer and a new XF as a loaner. No complaints. Still in love with this car.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:00 AM

Mine is going in today I'll update everyone

Old 10-12-2011, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jffcurt
I'll let everyone know what happens on Tuesday.........
What happened that Tuesday?

Old 10-12-2011, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Good for you , happy safe and pop free driving lol

Old 10-12-2011, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by jcamp
What happened that Tuesday?
I posted under: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...se-know-61382/

You said they gave me the old fix....... It sounds different than what HouTexJag received. Mine is fixed for now but I have the feeling that it isn't going to last so it will be interesting to hear if the new fix is the "fix all". I did go over a very steep incline turning to the right shortly after the fix and thought I heard something but nothing like before............

Old 10-12-2011, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jffcurt
I posted under: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...se-know-61382/

You said they gave me the old fix....... It sounds different than what HouTexJag received. Mine is fixed for now but I have the feeling that it isn't going to last so it will be interesting to hear if the new fix is the "fix all". I did go over a very steep incline turning to the right shortly after the fix and thought I heard something but nothing like before............
The fix you posted was the old one that I had done in July, 2010 that worked until recently, but then failed. The new fix that I just had done is different and the latest and greatest according to my dealer. That's why I posted the TSB # and part #.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:12 PM

Got mine back yesterday , same repair as houtex, I pray it lasts!

Old 10-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

YES, I got mine installed. I lost faith and thought there is no way to fox it. And guess what: No matter which of my regular "pop" spots or rattle spots I tried; no noise from the roof whatsoever.
Now, lets hope it lasts. From what I know about the TSB there is a chance.
I'd like to commend my dealer for always working with me through that for all so frustrating problem. (On top of it my fuel level sender went out).
Dealer had the car only a good day and got all done.

But WHY did it take Jaguar over a year to come up with such a fairly simple TSB which can be installed in 2 hours? May didn't take us serious enough? Or didn't listen to the dealers? Not nice.

Now I do like my car again. Now I hope it lasts and I can stay away from the dealer techs for a while.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:23 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

I had the ticking as well. From the center area where the shades are. (When I got the car another from above your left ear see my earlier post. easy fix).
However, the ticking noise from the center is fixed with the new TSB.

Quick Reply: New service bulletin released today for roof popping/creeking