XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

newbie with rattle in rear

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie with rattle in rear

Hello all,

I just got my new XJL supercharged last weekend. Haven't driven it much due to snow in Indiana (working on getting snow shoes ASAP). In short, I absolutely love the car - it's the finest sedan I've owned and to me, it's the perfect blend - drives like a german car and has all the gadgetry of a japanese make (I haven't experienced any of the glitches yet).

However, I have a terrible rattle coming from somewhere in the rear of the car. It takes a bit of a rough road to reproduce the rattle,but when it happens, it's quite loud and obnoxious. My suspicion is something with the rear sunshade. I would've driven with the sun shade in both positions to see if anything changes, but can't raise the shade right now due to newly applied window tinting

Anyone else notice anything similar ??

Old 01-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

The window tint myth is mildly true now-a-days as it was meant to deter from people ruining tint on older cars where the windows met with resistance on the water barriers.

The rear sun shade only touches the window in two particular parts and even then, with very little resistance. There are two wheels I believe on either side that guide it up when it hits the window at the top. Even then, it rests on the rear headliner I believe.

As per your noise. Many of us have a noise that eminates from the pillar right next to your left ear. A noise that I liken to the sounds of someone tapping a pencil on a wood desk relatively quickly at higher speeds. It's the same noise that when in school, someone behind you doing it would irritate you to the point of asking them to stop.

You sure that's not it?

Old 01-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Or is it the dreaded roof popping noise that so many of us have experienced? Would not call it a rattle--it comes from the rear of the roof and sounds like acorns dropping on the roof or like when you overtighten a nut on a bolt. It happens mostly when turning up or down an incline when the car "flexes" or when you go over major bumps in the road. It is a problem with the sun roof track and/or the way the glass roof is attached and is fixable with a TSB from Jaguar that your dealer should be aware of.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:21 AM

Thanks for the replies.

It's definitely not from the B pillar. It's certainly coming from the rear. It could be the roof popping that everyone speaks of - I didn't realize that the "popping" is reported in the rear of the car. I was under the impression that it was around the midsection of the roof, so I thought is was a different issue. I'll have my dealer look into it.

Cheers.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:51 AM

I think the TSB from Jaguar will fix your issue. Have you checked to see if this has been performed on your car?

Old 01-13-2011, 04:41 PM

I asked the dealer to make sure all TSBs were taken care of prior me taking delivery of the car, so I assumed it was. Maybe not ?? The car is going in next week to address this so I'll be sure to mention that specifically.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reading the title of your post I wondered if you sat on your baby's toy.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:51 AM

HAHA

Kids aren't allowed in my car due to such potential hazards . . .

Old 01-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Default MAKE SURE the roof pop fixes had been done by dealer

Hi,
just make sure your dealer did the roof noise fixes. They had been addressed by Jaguar. There are 2 tabs which are used to guide the rear window into iths proper place during production. Dealers are instructed to brake them off with needle nose pliers. Also there are to studs and hex nuts which are used to temporarily secure the glass roof system. Those nuts should be removed and left removed. In addition the studs are to be bent so they are centered in the hole so they don't touch. Again, those are also used as temporary securing during production. (Until glue us dry).
The dealer HAS access to detailed instructions with pictures and so on. It does involve lowering the headliner. So make sure everything is clean and unbroken after the dealer is done.
My dealer had done a great job during 1 visit and all my noise was gone. If needed I can send the PDF with the dealer instructions to anyone's email.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Gears -

Can you send me a copy of the repair procedure (nsl1@netzero.com). I've had my car (2011 XF Premium) for about a month and the rattles from the roof and/or back are becoming a little annoying. I have to take the car in to have the cruse control +/- switch replaced and I would like to have the rattle fixed as well.

Thanks

Old 01-17-2011, 03:21 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by nsl1
Hey Gears -

Can you send me a copy of the repair procedure (nsl1@netzero.com). I've had my car (2011 XF Premium) for about a month and the rattles from the roof and/or back are becoming a little annoying. I have to take the car in to have the cruse control +/- switch replaced and I would like to have the rattle fixed as well.

Thanks
NSL1,
I don't think the fix is referring to will help your XF. He is specifically referring to the 2011 XJ model. You might wanna check the XF board and see if any solutions are posted there.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by gears
Hi,
just make sure your dealer did the roof noise fixes. They had been addressed by Jaguar. There are 2 tabs which are used to guide the rear window into iths proper place during production. Dealers are instructed to brake them off with needle nose pliers. Also there are to studs and hex nuts which are used to temporarily secure the glass roof system. Those nuts should be removed and left removed. In addition the studs are to be bent so they are centered in the hole so they don't touch. Again, those are also used as temporary securing during production. (Until glue us dry).
The dealer HAS access to detailed instructions with pictures and so on. It does involve lowering the headliner. So make sure everything is clean and unbroken after the dealer is done.
My dealer had done a great job during 1 visit and all my noise was gone. If needed I can send the PDF with the dealer instructions to anyone's email.

Hey Gears - can you send me the PDF please (cpuranik@yahooooo.com). Also, what dealer do you go to?? I also get my services in the Chicago area.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by cpuranik
Hey Gears - can you send me the PDF please (cpuranik@yahooooo.com). Also, what dealer do you go to?? I also get my services in the Chicago area.
Hi,
of course I will send them. But as someone already stated, they won't do anything for the XF.
My dealer is Jaguar of Elmhurst. They are owned by a good old German who runs a very "clean" and correct operation. I had a very good sales experience, but better yet, I feel the service department is really knowledgable about the XJ. As always, they are not perfect, but in terms of warranty service for the XJ, they couldn't have done better.
I will email the PDF's tonight.

The following users liked this post:
cpuranik (01-17-2011)
Old 01-17-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by nsl1
Hey Gears -

Thanks
Will do, but they certainly will not be helpful for the XF

Old 01-17-2011, 11:12 AM

Hey Gears,

You're probably thinking about the other guy who posted on here earlier. I actually have an XJL supercharged so the PDF will be very good for my files. I actually won't need it to give to the dealership because I go to Elmhurst Jaguar as well (which BTW makes me feel a lot better, given your experience with them). I dealt with Kiril and Jack on my deal - both were very good to work with.

Thanks again.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:26 AM

Hey Gears,

You're probably thinking about the other guy who posted on here earlier. I actually have an XJL supercharged so the PDF will be very good for my files. I actually won't need it to give to the dealership because I go to Elmhurst Jaguar as well (which BTW makes me feel a lot better, given your experience with them). I dealt with Kiril and Jack on my deal - both were very good to work with.

Thanks again.
Yes, sorry, I did confuse your message with the one from the XF guy. I know Kiril, but I mostly dealt with Jack at Elmhurst Jaguar. He was GREAT to work with. Initially I custom ordered a car, but changed my mind when another car came and the custom order wait was longer then we thought.
Ricco, one of the service managers is very knowledgable. He is a bit grouchy at times though, but always helpful. I believe the other service manager's name is Joe. He is a car nut and also very knowledgable about the XJ. Like I said, they aren't perfect. I had to "correct" a couple minor things, like a loose clip in a door panel), but that is only because I didn't want to go back. And thats not their fault. Compared to what I read about some dealers here and some of the roof popping stories I was very concerned initially. But the Elmhurst team simply fixed everything and didn't leave a single speck of dirt or scratch behind. I will send you the TSB info. For the roof fix, they only do that if needed. So you need to tell them about the noise and they will fix it. In my case there had been 2 different noise issues. One the headliner itself with some rubbing, a loose frame around rear roof glass and loose clip. The other the roof popping noise from the glass casette itself. I will email you the dealer repair info shortly on that. Mostly I had problems when the car was cold and parked in the cold for a while. (Again that pertains to the roof liner). As you can see I became somewhat of an expert. That is because I am a real stickler when it comes to noise in cars. Most people wouldn't notice.
Otherwise I LOVE the car and would buy it again. Friend of mine who lives in Elmhurst bought one there as well and is equally happy.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by gears
Yes, sorry, I did confuse your message with the one from the XF guy. I know Kiril, but I mostly dealt with Jack at Elmhurst Jaguar. He was GREAT to work with. Initially I custom ordered a car, but changed my mind when another car came and the custom order wait was longer then we thought.
Ricco, one of the service managers is very knowledgable. He is a bit grouchy at times though, but always helpful. I believe the other service manager's name is Joe. He is a car nut and also very knowledgable about the XJ. Like I said, they aren't perfect. I had to "correct" a couple minor things, like a loose clip in a door panel), but that is only because I didn't want to go back. And thats not their fault. Compared to what I read about some dealers here and some of the roof popping stories I was very concerned initially. But the Elmhurst team simply fixed everything and didn't leave a single speck of dirt or scratch behind. I will send you the TSB info. For the roof fix, they only do that if needed. So you need to tell them about the noise and they will fix it. In my case there had been 2 different noise issues. One the headliner itself with some rubbing, a loose frame around rear roof glass and loose clip. The other the roof popping noise from the glass casette itself. I will email you the dealer repair info shortly on that. Mostly I had problems when the car was cold and parked in the cold for a while. (Again that pertains to the roof liner). As you can see I became somewhat of an expert. That is because I am a real stickler when it comes to noise in cars. Most people wouldn't notice.
Otherwise I LOVE the car and would buy it again. Friend of mine who lives in Elmhurst bought one there as well and is equally happy.

That's all very promising, as I have three different noise issues as well, and am also very particular about noise in the car. I seem to have the same issue you mentioned regarding the rear roof glass. I also have some minor rubbing at the top of the B pillar where it meets the headliner. Someone posted a comment about this and it seems to be easy to fix. Looking forward to getting the car back in "quiet mode."

Old 01-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I have yet to hear any noise but I am on the look out for it. Hopefully all the TSB's were done prior to me picking it up. They were prepping for over a week though I doubt that was all on my car.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:55 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

DUDE... Super LMAO for the title of this thread!!

Old 01-19-2011, 11:13 AM

That's all very promising, as I have three different noise issues as well, and am also very particular about noise in the car. I seem to have the same issue you mentioned regarding the rear roof glass. I also have some minor rubbing at the top of the B pillar where it meets the headliner. Someone posted a comment about this and it seems to be easy to fix. Looking forward to getting the car back in "quiet mode."
I posted about the B Pillar noise here in the past. I found the cause and posted a fix. Not sure if the dealer knows about that one. You can look at my posts and bring my idea of the fix to the dealer. That one minor noise annyed me the most as it was right above my ear.

Quick Reply: newbie with rattle in rear