XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Oil change for 2014 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 10:26 AM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

All four were very reliable, and driven all year. The late models have been decidedly more difficult to obtain parts for, and as you stated, there is just not a wealth of information out there. This is the place to get it, for sure, but what is here seems to be about the extent of it. The newer cars are more capable and very reliable. The trade off is that they are a bit more complex.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:02 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Enosgl
"Correct"? The manual REQUIRES "WSS-m2c925A". There is at least one other brand of oil that MEETS Jaguar's WSS-m2c925A spec. The implication that anything not Castrol (Jaguar's SUGGESTION) is incorrect oil is just silly. My dealer says Jaguar RECOMMENDS Pirelli P Zero Nero tires, yet didn't hesitate to sell me Continentals when I wanted something with better snow driving capabilities. By this logic, Jaguar OEM spark plugs, oil and air filters, and windshield wipers are the only ones to use?

This is my fourth $100k Coventry cruiser that has been cared for in this manner, and none have given a lick of resistance up to the 120k mileage mark, when I have traded them. On all of them, I used the specified oil, no more, no less. Not trying to be argumentative, but the impression seems to be that Castrol is some magical fluid that is the only one that is acceptable, and that is not the case. There is a reason JLR SUGGESTS Castrol, but REQUIRES WSS-m2c925A.
Does it really matter? My point was I have 2 cases of Jaguar oil. If any member in MD would like it, let me know it does me no good sitting in my garage. Maybe you want the other extra things I have as well we can make a deal for all of it. Tuner, mats, oil, filter, keyfob, etc. I just want it gone! See my sale ad and PM me! MD residents (no ship) can have everything I have in the sale section for $300!

Old 10-16-2018, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,217 Likes on 1,754 Posts

Thanks for the offer but shipping on oil kills that deal.
I did just pick up the correct Castrol on EBay for about $13/L but I think next time I will use the Liqi-Moly as posted above.
Good find as I have been looking for any equivalent oil without luck!

I think what people mean by the correct Castrol is that Castrol has so many very similar products that finding the one that satisfies WSS-M2C925A/B is hard.
We still don't know if WSS-M2C945A or WSS-M2C913A are equivalent? But as someone pointed out outside of the API specs ALL these other ratings are manufacturer derived.
Not all oil companies will spend the money to certify their oils to Jaguar specs. So does the oil meet them? Maybe.

This is similar to the fact that the XJ even after 8 years on the market does NOT have a crash rating from the US goverment. Just too low production numbers. So is the XJ "safe"?
I think so, but I can't prove it!

Old 04-09-2019, 02:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CASTROL ENGINEERS chatting over tea with CASTROL head of Marketing : "JagUAR fan boys fools, only if they knew that CASTROL EDGE WSS-W2C945-A for $9 is the same as CASTROL PROFESSIONAL WSS-W2C925-A for $15 at JagUAR Dealerships. Same looking bottle, we just add a single drop of "special additive" (spit) per quart to 925-A , those Jaguar fan boys idiots" :-)

Old 04-09-2019, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

In your photo there are 2 Castrol Edge containers and there are different "good To Mileage" claims 15k and 20k. So I guess they are the same but different labels? Most confusing. I'll stick with factory spec.

Old 01-10-2020, 03:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oil changes are easy on this car, you don't even have to go under the car. Warm the engine, open the bonnet, inside the oil fill cap is a tube, (about 1/4" ID), hook a suction pump to the tube and pump the oil out. The filter location is on the top of the engine in the middle.
I have a 2013 XJ 3.0, oil changes take less than 30 min.
PS, Jag filters are very expensive, most auto part stores carry them, or Amazon / Ebay.