XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Paddle Shifter Extensions/Larger Paddles for Jaguar XJ

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 01:10 PM
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 467 Posts
Default Paddle Shifter Extensions/Larger Paddles for Jaguar XJ

Hi Guys,

Putting this out there to gauge interest. We're looking at making some larger shift paddles for the current model Jags. At the moment we are planning on machined & brushed aluminum, possibly offering a powder coating option as well.

Would probably be IRO $250/set, direct fit replacement for the OEM paddles and made in the exact style as OEM so they don't look aftermarket, more like an OEM upgrade.

What does everyone think? If there's enough interest we'll probably do a group buy/pre buy once they are signed off. Images below were printed in Plastic, but production parts would be aluminum.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (04-22-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 07:04 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm interested in the idea.. w a mad discount for the forum ppl.. haha

Oh and I did a mock up image. maybe this will help. Tried my best to make it as close as possible to how it should look like.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:20 PM
Sponsor

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-13-2018, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

I installed cast aluminum paddle shifter extensions on my XKR and am very pleased with them. They exceeded my expectations in quality and OEM-like appearance, particularly since they cost less than $35 delivered from China.

For details, see: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nsions-192624/

The following users liked this post:
Adam J (04-14-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

In all fairness to Stuart@Velocity AP, it's not an apples-to-apples comparison. His extended paddles cost more because they're illuminated and replace the smaller OEM paddles. My paddle extensions are not illuminated and simply fit over the OEM illuminated paddles.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:56 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Illuminated? Are you saying the + and - on the paddles are illuminated to match the factory blue?

Old 04-15-2018, 08:41 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

i like these, but $250 seems like a lot, at least to me. i realize they are aluminum and not plastic, but it still seems a little pricey. If they do illuminate like Stuart S says, that is a little better, but i didnt see that in Velocity AP's post.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

My OEM XKR paddles are illuminated, but I'm not sure if my XJ paddles are illuminated. I'll have to check later. If they're not, then the Velocity AP paddles aren't illuminated. Hopefully, Stuart@VelocityAP will clarify this matter.

How do you justify the $250 price if they're not illuminated?

One other thing about my "El Cheapo" paddle extensions - the curved shape conforms to the curvature of the steering wheel and I like the indented design better than the OEM paddles. They also have a pebble grain finish, front and back, that feels nice to the touch.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:39 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I can't stand the paddle shifters and have never used them. Mostly because I hate driving with 2 hands.

I am curious who here uses the paddles?

Old 04-16-2018, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by JagGate
I can't stand the paddle shifters and have never used them. Mostly because I hate driving with 2 hands.

I use them when i really want to have fun, but i agree i hate driving with 2 hands as well. thankfully, the transmission is pretty good about knowing what i want 90% of the time, so the paddles arent needed, but sometimes it is fun. the downshifts are so satisfying.

that being said, i would use manual mode way more if there was an actual stick, but ive had paddles in the last several cars and i love them.

back to the extensions, i am almost positive the OEM ones do not light up. they are nearly entirely covered by the steering wheel anyway, so it wouldnt surprise me if they werent.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

On my car the OEM paddles were illuminated. I changed my paddles to the F-Type orange paddles and they too are illuminated.

Attached Thumbnails Paddle Shifter Extensions/Larger Paddles for Jaguar XJ-img_0183.jpg   Paddle Shifter Extensions/Larger Paddles for Jaguar XJ-img_0184.jpg   Paddle Shifter Extensions/Larger Paddles for Jaguar XJ-img_0185.jpg  

Last edited by XJsss; 04-16-2018 at 10:18 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by XJsss:
Panthro (07-04-2018), Stuart S (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 10:45 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The + and - are illuminated on mine. I suspect you would see the illuminated + and - with these stick ons.

I can't find original post but another option here,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Wh...!US!-1&vxp=mtr

Old 04-16-2018, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

I considered that open design but bought the curved ones since I thought they looked better.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:55 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Stuart S
My OEM XKR paddles are illuminated, but I'm not sure if my XJ paddles are illuminated. I'll have to check later. If they're not, then the Velocity AP paddles aren't illuminated. Hopefully, Stuart@VelocityAP will clarify this matter.

How do you justify the $250 price if they're not illuminated?

One other thing about my "El Cheapo" paddle extensions - the curved shape conforms to the curvature of the steering wheel and I like the indented design better than the OEM paddles. They also have a pebble grain finish, front and back, that feels nice to the touch.

I'm not aware of any illumination. We are not trying to 'justify' a price.

This is something a couple of owners brought to us, we have discussed with our machining contractor and the price is what we can sell them for, at a reasonable profit. In order to produce them in a nice aluminum with a high quality finishing process it's not exactly cheap, especially if you want them to fit nicely.

If people aren't interested in paying that kind of price we simply won't make them. No harm, no foul. That's why we are canvassing opinion.

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-16-2018, 03:03 PM
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by JagGate

I use them just about every time I drive to uptown Charlotte, which is about 4-times a week. Dynamic mode, Sport and paddles.

Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio
I use them when i really want to have fun, but i agree i hate driving with 2 hands as well. thankfully, the transmission is pretty good about knowing what i want 90% of the time, so the paddles arent needed, but sometimes it is fun. the downshifts are so satisfying.

that being said, i would use manual mode way more if there was an actual stick, but ive had paddles in the last several cars and i love them.

back to the extensions, i am almost positive the OEM ones do not light up. they are nearly entirely covered by the steering wheel anyway, so it wouldnt surprise me if they werent.
Yeah, it took me awhile to do the old two-hand drive thing. I've gotten pretty good and can upshift w/one hand lol. I've found that if you leave the car in Dynamic and Sport that it feels like it will never upshift unless you let off the gas. It does a good job of the downshift on it's own. You only have to upshift.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
I'm not aware of any illumination. We are not trying to 'justify' a price.

This is something a couple of owners brought to us, we have discussed with our machining contractor and the price is what we can sell them for, at a reasonable profit. In order to produce them in a nice aluminum with a high quality finishing process it's not exactly cheap, especially if you want them to fit nicely.

If people aren't interested in paying that kind of price we simply won't make them. No harm, no foul. That's why we are canvassing opinion.
You were prudent to make inquiries before you invested in a production run because you now know your competition from China. Sure, cast aluminum costs much less to make than milled billet, but I doubt that the average person could tell the difference in this application.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:41 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Stuart S
You were prudent to make inquiries before you invested in a production run because you now know your competition from China. Sure, cast aluminum costs much less to make than milled billet, but I doubt that the average person could tell the difference in this application.
Maybe not, but, again with all due respect to all the owners out there, we're not interested in making stack 'em high and sell 'em cheap products and making $10/part. We just aren't set up that way and I can imagine the headache dealing with returns or failures or whatever if we went the cheap route.

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-17-2018, 12:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stuart, I'd be very interested. There's nothing like high quality, thoughtful accessories. I would also be much happier with machined aluminum over cheap cracker-like cast aluminum or pot metal, thank you. I do know where the paddles are on my car and don't really need billboard lighting to find them.

Cheers,
Gary

Old 04-26-2018, 11:41 AM

Hey Stuart,
If you guys make these, presumably the machined/brushed options would be $250, and a powdercoated option would be more?

Old 05-03-2018, 11:08 AM
Sponsor

Samples are in. Very happy with the way the finish turned out. We'll be test-fitting these and should go into production soon.

www.velocityap.com

Quick Reply: Paddle Shifter Extensions/Larger Paddles for Jaguar XJ