XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Passenger seat moves by itself

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 08:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Passenger seat moves by itself

The passenger seat in my 2015 Jaguar XJL Portfolio sometimes moves all by itself when occupied. Four times the seat has moved backward and the seat back has reclined. Once the seat moved forward with no seat back movement. This has happened five times when my brother has been riding with me over the past nine months that I've had the car and, when it happens, it becomes something to chuckle about. Not so much humor when it's happened two times to my wife, however!

Has anyone ever experienced this before? I mentioned this to my dealer by phone and they have never heard of this as an issue, although I haven't taken it to their tech to troubleshoot yet. The dealer is about 45 minutes away and I wanted to gather as much information as possible before going there. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:30 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Welcome to the forum SRSure,

That's potentially dangerous.

Guessing your wife will drive with the seat closer to the steering wheel than you do so the time it moved forwards could be to her memory set position? Going fully back with seat back reclined sounds like another possible memory setting. If so, it could be a switchpack or module fault. Before taking a trip to the dealer, have you tried clearing and resetting memory pre-sets?

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 06-13-2017, 10:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Graham,

Thanks for your reply. Good thought about the seat memory. Since it's the passenger seat and the car is relatively new (to me) I don't believe anyone (including me) has set the seat's memory. Further, this car had previously only been used as a dealer demo car, so it's likely that the seat memory had not been used in its prior ownership. Therefore, I'll set all three memory buttons to see if resolves the issue. If not I'll pass along all of your information to the tech.

Finally, since I'm new to the Forum I'll follow your recommendation to post an intro about myself. Thanks again!

...Steve

Old 06-24-2017, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it as happened to me a couples of time (driver seat).After second tough and trial I found that when I would activate the power window switch, the top of my hand would also contact the memory setting and get the seat going (panic). Poor design ,switches are too close from one another.Love my Jag I just pay more attention when operating windows