XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

replacing sills for illuminated sills ? instructions ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 10:07 AM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default replacing sills for illuminated sills ? instructions ?

Hi there,

Does anyone have the TOPIX instructions for replacing the door sills ?

I bought illuminated ones ( all 4, very good deal ) and want to install them - tried everywhere, but can't find instructions anywhere...

any good soul out there with the replacing instructions for it ?

Old 09-28-2015, 11:35 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

The sills are just held in place by friction clips. So, get a screw driver or other similar prying device, get in under the plastic plate and lift up the one end about 1cm or so. From there, you can work your way around and pop all the friction clips. You should see them on the new plates that you have. As for making the lights work, the plugs should be under the plates and have power to them already. So, making them light up should take no work at all.

The following 3 users liked this post by Thermo:
Goncalo Proenca (09-28-2015), QP7 (01-20-2024), retriever-007 (09-29-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
The sills are just held in place by friction clips. So, get a screw driver or other similar prying device, get in under the plastic plate and lift up the one end about 1cm or so. From there, you can work your way around and pop all the friction clips. You should see them on the new plates that you have. As for making the lights work, the plugs should be under the plates and have power to them already. So, making them light up should take no work at all.
thanks thermo !

are the friction clips re-usable ? i,e., should I go to Jaguar and buy a few extra or the old ones will be ok to reuse ?

so there are no screws ? just poping up stuff ?

Old 09-28-2015, 01:19 PM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Goncalo Proenca
Hi there,

I bought illuminated ones ( all 4, very good deal ) and want to install them - tried everywhere, but can't find instructions anywhere...

Care to tell us where you got them? I'd love to do this next.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:24 PM
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

I did my cills just after I got the car, took about 10 minutes for the first one and maybe 5 minutes for each of the others, just be careful prying them up and when you clip them back down be careful not to pinch the wires, as mentioned above , you will see the wired socket lead underneath and the plug lead on the cill just pushes straight into it, they look brilliant.
I did not need any additional clips.

The following 2 users liked this post by roviw:
Goncalo Proenca (09-28-2015), retriever-007 (09-29-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by XJLFTW
Care to tell us where you got them? I'd love to do this next.
good old eBay

Prices are nuts though... usually 700-800 usd for each pair ( front OR rear ) .. so sround 1500-1800 usd the all 4.

I found a guy in the UK ( Im in Portugal, so its all within Europe, hence no import or vat charges ) that was selling them ( 4 ) for ... 550...

He said they were as new, bla bla bla... as per tracking number, they are supposed to arrive to me tomorrow... So will report back

The following users liked this post:
retriever-007 (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 08:29 AM

Soooooooooo... My sills have arrived and I install them myself.

Total time ? around 10 minutes for all four of them.

Background : I'm very DYI challenged. I suck at it. I was very afraid of installing myself, but I decided to give it a try and if didnt work, I would go to Jaguar. Lovely that I did.

Tools used : a screwdriver ( doesnt matter the size, just to pry the old thing off )

with a screwdriver, pry off the old ones. start from the door side.

get the carpet up and you will find this connector.

pop the new ones in and ... TADA !

just FYI - the front sill is different. but same principle. no screws to turn, nothing. just pop off, pop in the new one.

Scout eBay - bought mines for a steal ( all 4 of them for less than 500 ). It makes the car nicer for a little

The following 6 users liked this post by Goncalo Proenca:
kroache (02-01-2021), LiquidIce (09-29-2015), michaelnv (10-05-2020), NateLWB XJ (04-20-2016), Norri (09-29-2015), retriever-007 (09-29-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-29-2015, 11:22 AM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Soooooooooo... My sills have arrived and I install them myself.

Total time ? around 10 minutes for all four of them.

Background : I'm very DYI challenged. I suck at it. I was very afraid of installing myself, but I decided to give it a try and if didnt work, I would go to Jaguar. Lovely that I did.

Tools used : a screwdriver ( doesnt matter the size, just to pry the old thing off )

with a screwdriver, pry off the old ones. start from the door side.

get the carpet up and you will find this connector.

pop the new ones in and ... TADA !

just FYI - the front sill is different. but same principle. no screws to turn, nothing. just pop off, pop in the new one.

Scout eBay - bought mines for a steal ( all 4 of them for less than 500 ). It makes the car nicer for a little
Four of them for less than $500--let me know where you bought these and I just may get four. Thanks.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by retriever-007
Four of them for less than $500--let me know where you bought these and I just may get four. Thanks.
eBay. I saw an add that four of them that ended and the reserve price wasn't met - so I contacted the seller directed and made an offer, he said ok and I'm a happy man

Old 09-29-2015, 12:25 PM

eBay. I saw an add that four of them that ended and the reserve price wasn't met - so I contacted the seller directed and made an offer, he said ok and I'm a happy man
Thanks for this quick reply. I am checking Ebay and if I find something similar I will post on the forum.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:17 PM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks Goncalo for the pics and details on installing them. The look gorgeous!

The following 2 users liked this post by LiquidIce:
Goncalo Proenca (09-29-2015), retriever-007 (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by LiquidIce
Thanks Goncalo for the pics and details on installing them. The look gorgeous!
Welcome ! Just wanted to show that its REALLY a five minute job to install all of them and even the most DYI challenge person ( that includes me ) can do this.

Everyone start scouting eBay, Craiglist, Gumtree and all that - its really worth it, I'm really happy with them

IMPORTANT NOTE HOWEVER

while the front sills are identical, there are rear SWB and LWB sills.

make sure you get the correct rear sills for your car ( XJ or XJL ).

The following 3 users liked this post by Goncalo Proenca:
AlexSaltLife (09-30-2015), Ken Dreger (06-13-2021), retriever-007 (09-29-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 05:22 PM
MHT
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I just purchased my Jaguar in July. It was a left over new 2014 with 11 miles on it. I purchased the illuninated sill plates front and rear and trunk finisher. I did the install myself. The front sill plates were easy but due to the position of one of the retaining clips on the rear sill it took a little time.
One of the most impressive things about this car IMO is how accurate the owners manual is, everything that is in the book is in the car. I have not found this to be true with some other cars that I have own.
I also like the fact that I have yet to take the car in for some warranty issue.

Ken Dreger (06-13-2021)
Old 10-01-2015, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by MHT
I just purchased my Jaguar in July. It was a left over new 2014 with 11 miles on it. I purchased the illuninated sill plates front and rear and trunk finisher. I did the install myself. The front sill plates were easy but due to the position of one of the retaining clips on the rear sill it took a little time.
One of the most impressive things about this car IMO is how accurate the owners manual is, everything that is in the book is in the car. I have not found this to be true with some other cars that I have own.
I also like the fact that I have yet to take the car in for some warranty issue.
What did you purchase?

Old 10-02-2015, 02:40 AM
MHT

What did you purchase?

2014 Jaguar XJ AWD Rhodium Silver

Old 10-03-2015, 05:02 PM

Have had my 2012 XJL since last November and also have not had to take it in for any warranty issues--hope that continues. In June though I purchased an extended warranty; got a great price.
This month will be taking the automobile for its annual checkup.
Oh, what OEM tires came w/ your '14 XJ?

Old 10-03-2015, 06:24 PM
MHT

Have had my 2012 XJL since last November and also have not had to take it in for any warranty issues--hope that continues. In June though I purchased an extended warranty; got a great price.
This month will be taking the automobile for its annual checkup.
Oh, what OEM tires came w/ your '14 XJ?
The Perilli P Zero Nero All Season UHP Tires were OEM on my car. If Perilli made the Centurato P7 Plus that was not a Run Flat Tire in the sizes that I needed, I would purchase it in a heart beat.
The Peril P Zero is a nice tire but IMO the Centurato P7 Plus is the better tire of most any brand on the market.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by MHT
The Perilli P Zero Nero All Season UHP Tires were OEM on my car. If Perilli made the Centurato P7 Plus that was not a Run Flat Tire in the sizes that I needed, I would purchase it in a heart beat.
The Peril P Zero is a nice tire but IMO the Centurato P7 Plus is the better tire of most any brand on the market.
Thanks for your response. I'm thinking about getting Continentals DWS
when the time comes. This tire appears to have gotten good reviews by
a number of people on this forum.

Old 10-04-2020, 08:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ x351 Tread plates

Hi, How do you remove the basic tread plates please

Old 10-05-2020, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

See my Post #7 in this thread from 2015:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...plates-153556/

I used a flat blade screwdriver to pry up a corner and then lift to release the friction fasteners and remove the original sill. Plug the electrical connectors together, line up the tabs with the slots, and press down to snap in. Both sides took me less than 10 minutes.

If I were to do it again, I would use a plastic trim tool pry bar. They're designed for the job, with better leverage and and won't scratch the sill plate.

A set of plastic trim removal tools is inexpensive and available on Amazon, Ebay, and your local auto parts store. They should be part of every shade tree mechanic's toolbox. I bought my set about a couple of years after after I did my sill plates, as I needed them to remove some dashboard trim in order to replace my cupholders. I should have brought them long before then, as they're very useful.

Ken Dreger (06-13-2021)

Quick Reply: replacing sills for illuminated sills ? instructions ?