XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Squeaky Squealing chirping under dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 01:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Squeaky Squealing chirping under dashboard

Hi, I have a 2011 Jaguar XJ. A few months ago I started having a horrible squealing squeaking chirping noise underneath my dashboard. Sometimes it almost sounds like there’s a bird. Such a beautiful car but annoying to drive. Anybody else have that? Please help.

The following 2 users liked this post by vas sinyuk:
A.J. Lee (11-21-2020), Paul Bradbury (02-09-2020)
Old 11-25-2018, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Only thing I can think of is the climate control system fan has dry bearings. Try switching off the fan and see what happens

Old 11-26-2018, 06:48 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems that you have the same problem as I do.
Do you have the diesel engine?
What kind of sounds are those? For instance, I had them only between 1500 and 1750 rpm and very annoying at cold starts. Whenever the engines gets warmer they become much quieter ( still noticeable though ).
Also, they are heard only when car is moving.

I had the dashboard completely disassembled along with plastic cover where windshield wipers are to no avail. It took 2 entire days to to the job. But they never found the problem and it's still there. I have no idea how to get rid of it and no one really does either. Official dealership cannot do anything with it.

You can listen to the sounds I recorded here -

And as you can see the dashboard was completely disassembled, but unfortunately that didn't help -

Old 11-26-2018, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

Can you get a passenger with a rod stethoscope to prod around while it is making the noise to help narrow down its source? That should tell you easily if the sound is inside the bulkhead or the outside.

Vas, if you turn off the climate control using the button on the climate page on the touch screen does the chirping noise stop? Is it continuous? Does the fan speed change the noise?

Lolshto, as yours is only when the vehicle is moving and more pronounced when cold, I'd get the car on a rolling road and listen/poke from the outside. How many miles has your car done, and did the sound start suddenly or get worse over time? I recall reading on these forums that there were issues with the engine mounts on some of the earlier vehicles which were replaced under warranty. If you send me a private message with your full VIN I can have a look to see if there are any obvious bulletins for vibrations for your car.

The following users liked this post:
KiwiJon (02-11-2023)
Old 11-26-2018, 09:51 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by lolshto
..... I had the dashboard completely disassembled
And as you can see the dashboard was completely disassembled, but unfortunately that didn't help -

Wow! Full marks for determination.

I'd have been tempted to turn the radio volume up before going that far.

Graham

Old 12-02-2018, 12:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lolshto
It seems that you have the same problem as I do.
Do you have the diesel engine?
What kind of sounds are those? For instance, I had them only between 1500 and 1750 rpm and very annoying at cold starts. Whenever the engines gets warmer they become much quieter ( still noticeable though ).
Also, they are heard only when car is moving.

I had the dashboard completely disassembled along with plastic cover where windshield wipers are to no avail. It took 2 entire days to to the job. But they never found the problem and it's still there. I have no idea how to get rid of it and no one really does either. Official dealership cannot do anything with it.

You can listen to the sounds I recorded here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF3O...zvuujJvwIMAHWU

hi Lolshto.... how did you remove the dash or the wooden trim below the windshield without cracking it? I have a loose or broken plastic clip bouncing around behind the dash somewhere and the dealer won’t do anything to fix it and it’s driving me absolutely nuts. So I have to do it myself. How long did it take to take apart? Put back? Any tool suggestions? Thanks.

Old 12-02-2018, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Quartzboy

hi Lolshto.... how did you remove the dash or the wooden trim below the windshield without cracking it? I have a loose or broken plastic clip bouncing around behind the dash somewhere and the dealer won’t do anything to fix it and it’s driving me absolutely nuts. So I have to do it myself. How long did it take to take apart? Put back? Any tool suggestions? Thanks.
Hi. It took 2 days to completely disassemble it, test where vibrations are coming from and put back together.
Unfortunatelly, I don’t know the details about the process as I came next day when it was completely removed. As far as I understood there is nothing special, just a lot of work to be done.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Quartzboy
How did you remove the dash or the wooden trim below the windshield without cracking it?
Step 37 onwards in the IP Upper Section document shows removing the wooden trims.

Geoffrey Fake (02-11-2023)
Old 12-02-2018, 01:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xdave
Step 37 onwards in the IP Upper Section document shows removing the wooden trims.
you are awesome! Thank you so much!

Old 01-15-2019, 01:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

hallo, i have the same issue.
did you solved it?

thanks
sandro

Old 01-25-2019, 06:40 PM
Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

Ya know- - -
I ran into the same thing about 4 months ago.
It started out as a light chirping and squeaking, two independent but associated sounds that seemed to be coming from under the dash. In this case, the drivers side (the side will make sense in a minute).
I pulled the under-cover of the dash a couple of times & contorted with head-down in the foot well, could find nothing.
At first we thought it was a squeak that we get where the door meets the dash, that produces a slight squeak sometimes.
(come to think of it I don't hear that since we found the problem we're talking about...)
But anyway, I then started approaching the dash from under the hood, to see if I could get into it from the engine bay.
I was able to manually bounce the front drivers corner and reproduce the squeak after it got bad enough.
Then when my wife was in the garage with me & I was bouncing it, hearing the squeak/squeal, my wife's keen eyes noticed the top of the shock moving around in the shock tower/mount.
Apparently, the foam isolator material in the upper shock mount and upper bearing deteriorate after a few years.
When this happens, the top shaft of the shock rubs other metal parts, and produces the squeak & chirp that we'd been hearing.
I ordered the parts from the online Jag dealership that I get most original Jag parts from.
I took them to a local independent Jag mechanic, and after $180 (I think) of labor, the new front left upper shock mount, bearing and spacer were installed and no more squeaks or chirping.
I think the ride is a little better too.
I'll buy the same parts for the passenger side & schedule installation in a week or two, since although there's no noise yet, we can see the top of shock shaft move around in the foam filling of the top mount.
If you look at the top of the shock mount and "bounce" the front of the car, you'll see the top of the shock shaft/rod dance around in a worn shock mount Jag part # C2D51875) & top bearing (Jag part #C2D16903), and maybe hear it squeak. If so, maybe spray it with a little silicone spray, and the squeak will go away briefly.

Worn out passenger side
You can see that the top of the shock (where the connector is on the Servotronic shock) isn't centered.

newly replaced drivers side

Last edited by 12jagmark; 01-25-2019 at 06:59 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by 12jagmark:
Geoffrey Fake (02-11-2023), IanXF (03-08-2023), Ken Dreger (11-28-2023), KiwiJon (02-11-2023), QP7 (02-15-2024), Tyler Longo (07-17-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-26-2019, 06:31 AM
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

12jagmark,
Well that’s a good result. Well done and thanks for reporting an issue which may become apparent to some of us in the future and save a dashboard strip down.
I’ll give my mounts a spray of WD40 the next time the hood is lifted.

The following 2 users liked this post by Langstraat:
oldrover (02-07-2019), QP7 (02-15-2024)
Old 01-26-2019, 11:16 AM

WD-40 might not be the best thing to try, depending on if you're certain you'll be replacing the upper shock mounts & bearing very soon.
WD-40 is bad for plastics and things like the foam used in these parts, so even if yours are still good, the WD-40 would expedite the insulator material in them to fall apart.

It was really surprising to me that something in the engine bay area could sound to be clearly inside the dash. But the structure makes it work out that way.

I could've sworn it was in the dash, but it wasn't.
I hope this helps some that are looking for that annoying squeak & chirp.

oldrover (02-07-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 01:22 PM

Okee dokee,
I have an aerosol of Silicone spray leftover from my squeaky roof panel.
Cheers

Old 01-26-2019, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Langstraat
Okee dokee,
Cheers
Good luck, I hope it helps you identify the problem.
Please let us know if the that's what it turns out to be.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by 12jagmark
Good luck, I hope it helps you identify the problem.
Please let us know if the that's what it turns out to be.
Err no, I meant I’d spray the suspension mounts to ‘prevent’ any squeak coming from them in the future.
My squeaks to the roof most definitely came from the roof as explained in posts I’ve made to threads concerning this perennial problem which has affected many of us XJ owners.

At risk of poking a Tiger with a pointed stick my squeaks have been absent for about a year now.
I miss them; not.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Langstraat
Err no, I meant I’d spray the suspension mounts to ‘prevent’ any squeak coming from them in the future.
Achh-
my mistake, sorry.
I mistook your post for lolshto and his problem noise.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:50 AM

That’s okay, I gave my mounts a couple of squirts this morning; on a just in case basis.

Old 04-07-2019, 02:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speedometer cable noise- no speedometer cable...So relieved I'm giggling

I have been considering selling the Jaguar and reverting to a Ford pick-up truck because at least THERE I know how to find where the "dry speedometer cable" noise is coming from.
I could just kiss your face. !!!!
I have been searching for the chirping under the driver's side (left drive) of the dashboard for two weeks and I have a mess to clean-up from all the spray-lubricant I've tried to employ to rid my beautiful ride of this HIDEOUSLY ANNOYING noise.
After finding the account of your experience with the shock-tower, I think I've found the answer.

Ken Dreger (12-01-2022)
Old 04-07-2019, 02:44 PM

Did you hear the noise from the video I uploaded to YouTube?
Did you have the same noise or it was different? I really want to have that problem solved finally, but I have no idea where to search.

Quick Reply: Squeaky Squealing chirping under dashboard