XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Supersport XJL vs SC XJL

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supersport XJL vs SC XJL

Hi Folks,

Anyone have a Supersport? If so, it is worth spending the extra $ vs getting a SC'd XJL...thoughts appreciated...thanks.

- J

Old 02-14-2011, 07:29 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have to ask the question, the answer is "no". Advantages of SS are; 40 more hp, extended leather on roofline, softer leather throughout, illuminated air vents, unique veneers, special wheels, unique glovebox and storage compt lining, limited production, spectrum blue exterior color...I think that's it. IMHO, had they included exterior enhancements to make the front and rear more aggressive, and a bit more horsepower, your question would be a legitimate one. For now, you buy a SS because you have to have it, not because it's worth it. Not sure if that makes sense, but that's how I see it.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:14 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

The answer is know. The performance difference is not as much as you might think. AND you can do that later yourself if it is an issue. It is done by increasing blower pressure of supercharger, and that again is done by ECU remapping. (chip tuning). I am aware of the fact that 2 tuners are already working on it.
The rest is marketing hype for more leather, wood and other pretty things. Mostly so you can say "I paid big$$$$$$$ and I have the best". All status and psychology. Nothing worth the $ 20k + or so. I considered it and didn't see the value.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:58 AM

Thanks Guys for the replies....I sold my Aston Martin Vantage last Summer after our son was born and now looking for something luxurious, sporty, and esthetically pleasing

- J

Old 02-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

4dr Aston would be sweet

Old 02-20-2011, 08:23 PM

Yes 4 Dr. Rapide would be nice but too expensive.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

uhhh Yes it's worth it! But I guess it depends - I just want to own the best of anything I buy. So that being said - if I had the option of getting a regular 5 seris or a fully loaded 3 - I would go for the fully loaded 3.

Also, I'm partial because I have one

Old 07-20-2011, 07:21 PM

bump-

any new thoughts to this thread?

trying to decide if its worth pulling the trigger as well...

Old 07-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the XJ S/C and am very happy with it. I don't think the price difference for the supersport is worth it for the few extra items you get, but if you can easily afford the difference or just have to have purple glovebox lining then go for the supersport.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I think Jaguar made a mistake by not making the outward appearance of the Supersport significantly different than the Supercharged other than just the side badges and some custom colors. I believe they would have had more takers if they had--there are those that would spring for the extra bucks if everyone could tell it was an upgraded model like the MB AMG's with skirts, spoilers, and quad exhausts.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:27 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As far as I can tell, the only difference between my SC and the SS is a purple glovebox and $30k or so.

But I could be wrong. Get what makes you happy.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you just want the power difference, Arden, the German tuner has an aftermarket ECU and sport pipe. There are also a couple American tuners working on things.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

If you just want the performance, you can simply remap the ECU. I spoke to a couple of chip tuners and they are already working on it. Should be out soon. The added performance simply results from an increase in supercharger boost pressure which is controlled by the ECU, which in turn regulates the blow by valve. (so I have been told by a Jaguar tech).

Old 07-21-2011, 02:20 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

What about the speed gauge? Its stops at 170 mph. My car is limited to 160mph. I wish it was 180mph to put me on par with some AMG's and Porsches. I know the Audi S5's speedo goes to 200mph.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
What about the speed gauge? Its stops at 170 mph. My car is limited to 160mph. I wish it was 180mph to put me on par with some AMG's and Porsches. I know the Audi S5's speedo goes to 200mph.
Not all of us have Autobahn access! Actually, I noticed the last time I was in Europe that some of the Autobahn's now have speed limits. I do remember going about 220 KPH (132 MPH) on a Yamaha FJR1300 a few years ago and getting passed like I was standing still--the good thing is that everyone keeps right unless you want to pass. Very courteous drivers.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Very, Very courteous drivers! I did notice this pas March when I was driving from Wiesbaden to Garmish that there were speed limits on and off. This is probably a good thing but also a lot of construction going on.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:28 PM

Yeah they have speed limits all over the place now and unmarked cop cars in some place that have speed limits and the construction thing is just horrible. Its part of the system to keep people employed so they are constantly tearing up the road. But more or less any time I am in my car I am traveling between 110 and 130mph At 160mph gas doesnt last that long. If I drive from my house to Mainz which is 45 mins away at the speeds I go it uses half a tank of gas so by the time I get back I have to go to the gas station and fill up. Because I am in the military we only get a certain amount of rations a month and if I run out of rations I have to pay German prices which is about 8 dollars a gallon. Right now I pay an average of American gas prices which is around 4 dollars.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

This is off topic on my part...... ExpatJag you must be waaaaayyyy up their in rank to be able to afford your beautifully equipped car. Good for you. You deserve it. My father is a retired Air Force Colonel and couldn't imagine owning our car. Then again he had to raise five of us.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jffcurt
This is off topic on my part...... ExpatJag you must be waaaaayyyy up their in rank to be able to afford your beautifully equipped car. Good for you. You deserve it. My father is a retired Air Force Colonel and couldn't imagine owning our car. Then again he had to raise five of us.
Not to stay off topic but I am a Chief Warrant Officer 4. I have no debt other than this car, a decent finacial portfolio and own rental property so I can't complain. I am retiring in 2013 with 24 years so it was a retirement gift to myself after coming back from Afghanistan. I was the condolence letter writer for the 3-Star in charge of the tactical war which gave me an appreciation on how short life is and this was my first new car ever. Plus it doesn't hurt that I paid about eight grand less than everybody else on here.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:35 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
Not to stay off topic but I am a Chief Warrant Officer 4. I have no debt other than this car, a decent finacial portfolio and own rental property so I can't complain. I am retiring in 2013 with 24 years so it was a retirement gift to myself after coming back from Afghanistan. I was the condolence letter writer for the 3-Star in charge of the tactical war which gave me an appreciation on how short life is and this was my first new car ever. Plus it doesn't hurt that I paid about eight grand less than everybody else on here.
Thanks for your service to this country Expatjag we all owe our freedom and safety to the men and women of the armed forces who are willing to risk everything for it.

Nice retirement gift, shure beats the heck out of a gold watch. Lol.

Quick Reply: Supersport XJL vs SC XJL