XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Suspicious dealer service

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 341 Likes on 259 Posts
Default Suspicious dealer service

Am I am being too skeptical that the dealer is honest about their service?

I took in my 2019 for it 4 year service on a Friday morning. At 5pm, I received a video message from the tech saying his lookover of the car was good and he would be the one servicing the car. I then got a text that the car would be ready for pickup at 6pm.

My concerns -
1) From the recommended maintenance, the V8 is not due for spark plugs until 5 years, while the V6 is 4 years. Not sure why the difference in the schedule for the V6 and V8 since they are the same engine, but the dealer said they did plugs on my car, which is an absolutely horrible job on the V8. There's no way a tech could have done plugs, oil change, 2 software upgrades, a recall for a valve, cabin air filter, and engine air filters in an hour.
2) It shows only 1 engine air filter, but there are 2.
3) They show 2 key fob battery replacements, but I only gave them one key.

The whole thing makes me wonder if they even really changed the engine oil. It's so much work just to remove one spark plug to check it, that I didn't have time to do it before I needed to drive the car for a while.

Do you think this is just a Jag dealer scamming Jaguar for maintenance not performed? I am sure the tech would like to be paid on all these services without having to do the actual work. While it didn't cost me anything, if the services weren't done, then it messes up my maintenance schedules, which is a big deal because I plan to own the car for a long time. I'll probably do plugs not too far down the road just to be safe, but the whole thing rubs me the wrong way because I hate scammers and now Jag is pestering me to fill out a survey on the service.

Old 05-25-2024, 12:07 PM
Received 82 Likes on 34 Posts

No way they did all that service in 1 hour.

Old 05-25-2024, 12:20 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The air filter comes as a kit of 2x items (so only shows as '1x filter' - on the UK receipts from Jaguar anyhow). So that may explain that part, The timing of the messages could be awry, ie first one sent well after it was made. Otherwise, I agree that 1 hour is too short to do all that work, especially the plugs.

Old 05-25-2024, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cbarr
The air filter comes as a kit of 2x items (so only shows as '1x filter' - on the UK receipts from Jaguar anyhow). So that may explain that part, The timing of the messages could be awry, ie first one sent well after it was made. Otherwise, I agree that 1 hour is too short to do all that work, especially the plugs.
All good points. And I do see now that the filters are sold as a pair.

Old 05-25-2024, 01:43 PM
Received 181 Likes on 117 Posts

You received a video message, or you had a video conversation? If it was a message, it could have been recorded five or six hours earlier.

Old 05-25-2024, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I have to say, I think you're being a bit paranoid, tbh. The video of the safety and underside inspection was probably done much earlier in the day. I get an inspection video when I take my car in for service, and it is usually some time in the afternoon before I get it. Then I get a phone call that the car is ready just like you, it is normal dealer protocol here.

Old 05-25-2024, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by christ
You received a video message, or you had a video conversation? If it was a message, it could have been recorded five or six hours earlier.
Very possible. Here’s the video I got. There are no clocks in the shop to know what time it was taken. He does say “afternoon,” but that doesn’t narrow it down.

Old 05-25-2024, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
I have to say, I think you're being a bit paranoid, tbh. The video of the safety and underside inspection was probably done much earlier in the day. I get an inspection video when I take my car in for service, and it is usually some time in the afternoon before I get it. Then I get a phone call that the car is ready just like you, it is normal dealer protocol here.
Maybe. But given all the hidden camera proof over the years, this wouldn’t be the first time an auto shop didn’t actually perform stated services. It actually happens a lot. So I would recommend to anyone be a little paranoid and do what you can to “trust, but verify” any and all auto shops. I have caught other shops not doing billed services before. No surprise really given mechanics are pressured to rush and paid flat rate for most work. Huge financial incentive to not do the work.

I just wish I had known they were going to do plugs so I could have made some special marks to check if the coil packs had even been removed. It wasn’t on the maintenance schedule for the 4 year service for my car.

Old 05-25-2024, 06:51 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I would pull a spark plug from each side of the engine to check

Last edited by JaguarXJL15; 05-25-2024 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-28-2024, 02:31 PM
Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

Everyone I've talked to has had to pull the supercharger to do all 8 plugs, so yes I agree this is suspicious. I think it can be done in SITU, but it's tough.
I had my 8 plugs replaced as preventative at 55k miles when I had a donor engine purchased and salvaged for replacement in my car. Even in engine out status, which is the easiest way to do this, 1 hour was billed (of course due to book times vs service times, it probably took 20 minutes)

It's possible the tech is just that good with the right tools/setup but based on my dealer history with JLR NA - I doubt it.

C2Z6525 is the cabin air filter, there is only 1 in the car. The cabin filter is easy to replace (easy to check if it was done, too). Oil takes me 10 minutes at home from the top side, so I imagine just as fast at the dealer.

In my humble opinion, call the service director and ask him about your concerns.

Last edited by dmchao; 05-28-2024 at 02:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lotusespritse (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 02:34 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

TOPix suggests you don't need to remove the SC, but a couple of the rearmost plugs look a pain to get to.

Last edited by cbarr; 05-28-2024 at 02:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dmchao (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cbarr
TOPix suggests you don't need to remove the SC, but a couple of the rearmost plugs look a pain to get to.
From pulling supercharger's multiple times on these engines for other reasons, I don't really see that being necessary to get to the plugs, but I could be wrong. I would definitely say it's worth it to pull off the wipers and all of the cowling to give more access to the back of the engine.

Old 05-28-2024, 03:29 PM
Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

I don't think removing the charger is necessary in full either. There are a lot of supporting parts needing removal, that get in the way. Take a look at Bigg WIll's thread in the XF forum, but in general it seems like it is "not an hour" PITA lol