XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Tail light condensation

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 09:27 AM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Tail light condensation

Have any of you guys experienced this? It is pretty much through the entire passenger side light, and never goes away. It wasnt there when I bought the car, but when the weather started getting cooler, it appeared and hasnt gone away.

Tail light condensation-cj0d58b.jpg

Tail light condensation-bmysaix.jpg

Tail light condensation-7unjgbr.jpg

My car is a CPO, but my local dealer said this isnt covered under the CPO (and the booklet I have basically says the same thing). My salesman (from a different Jag dealer) said it really depends on the servicing dealer's relationship with JLR corporate. The old methods of taking out the bulbs and drying the inside with a hair dryer wont work, and I am apprehensive about drilling a hole in the bottom of my tail light. Though if I need a new one, what difference does it make. Aside from pointing a hair dryer at the outside, or putting the tail light in a giant bowl of rice, anyone have any experience or ideas?

Or should I use this as an excuse to get 2016+ tails?

Old 11-19-2017, 11:45 AM
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

I had a small amount in mine ages ago, nothing as much as yours though. Try actually searching the forum and the UK forum as I am sure it has been mentioned before.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,236 Likes on 1,765 Posts

Is that a slight crack in the plastic in your first picture?
Have you removed the light to inspect it where you can't see?

Old 11-19-2017, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by roviw
I had a small amount in mine ages ago, nothing as much as yours though. Try actually searching the forum and the UK forum as I am sure it has been mentioned before.
i searched here, at least the XJ forum, and there was nothing related. I forgot about the UK forum though.

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I saw the small possible crack between the signal and the trunk earlier today when going out, but I just saw that larger one now that im looking at the pictures on a big monitor. Good catch. If that is i a crack and not a scratch, thats my answer.

I havent taken the light out yet, I was doing a lot of searching for manuals or step by step, i wasnt sure if the bumper had to come off, but based on what ive seen on the rear of the lights, it doesnt.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Whatever that line is, or was, i cant find it on the light now, at least with a flashlight in the garage. I will check again tomorrow during the day, but now that I know how to take the lights out, im going to give that a shot over the long weekend. Worst case scenario is i start sourcing some 2016+ tails.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:23 AM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

I remember reading these are LED, are they sealed with just wires hooking up to the assembly or do they have a replaceable LED bulb kind of a thing?

I've considered replacing my incandescents with the LED's that are made like a normal bulb. I have so many spare bulbs though I haven't run out yet.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by rhomanski
I remember reading these are LED, are they sealed with just wires hooking up to the assembly or do they have a replaceable LED bulb kind of a thing?

I've considered replacing my incandescents with the LED's that are made like a normal bulb. I have so many spare bulbs though I haven't run out yet.
As far as i can tell, there is just one connector into the housing assembly to power the LEDs. Everything is internal, so there is no bulb to speak of.

Whether the connector on the housing itself comes out, im not sure yet, but even if i did, i dont expect it to be much use since the LED boards will be in there, but ill know for sure this weekend.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:49 PM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

With regular bulbs the heat from driving at night will eventually dry them out but that will never happen with LED's.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by rhomanski
With regular bulbs the heat from driving at night will eventually dry them out but that will never happen with LED's.
Yeah once that clicked in my head it was a bit of a bummer. I am going to try a couple of low dollar solutions, like drilling a vent hole in the bottom or using desiccate packets, or just pointing a hair dryer at it, but im not really expecting much.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:08 PM

in case anyone else has this issue and is searching the forum, drilling into these to let the water out really doesnt seem like a logical option, unless you have a replacement light available. the potential to drill into something, since you cant see what you are drilling into, is too high.

removing the tail light and basically hitting it with heat seems to be the best solution for now. i used my fireplace (gas) and since that is heating up the entire house, my next option is to try a small space heater. as far as fixing the problem from happening again goes, the lens doesnt seem to be one solid piece of plastic. Its like the white area was set into the red area, with a sealant or gasket in between, and that is where the water is coming in, because that is where it leaks out of. Maybe once as much of the water as possible is out, i will hit that with some clear silicone sealant or something.

The attached pictures show where it is leaking from, as well as the amount of water collecting at the bottom. Apologies for the bathroom photos, it was the best light without going back downstairs. /lazy

Attached Thumbnails Tail light condensation-20171202_220530.jpg   Tail light condensation-20171202_220219.jpg  
Old 12-08-2017, 12:24 PM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts
Old 12-08-2017, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Paulc732
You could try Putting the light in a bucket of Rice for a couple of days to dry it out...
i was joking around about doing that just not having enough rice to get the job done. It would be a pretty cheap solution though.

Old 03-07-2021, 08:26 AM
Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio
in case anyone else has this issue and is searching the forum, drilling into these to let the water out really doesnt seem like a logical option, unless you have a replacement light available. the potential to drill into something, since you cant see what you are drilling into, is too high.

removing the tail light and basically hitting it with heat seems to be the best solution for now. i used my fireplace (gas) and since that is heating up the entire house, my next option is to try a small space heater. as far as fixing the problem from happening again goes, the lens doesnt seem to be one solid piece of plastic. Its like the white area was set into the red area, with a sealant or gasket in between, and that is where the water is coming in, because that is where it leaks out of. Maybe once as much of the water as possible is out, i will hit that with some clear silicone sealant or something.

The attached pictures show where it is leaking from, as well as the amount of water collecting at the bottom. Apologies for the bathroom photos, it was the best light without going back downstairs. /lazy
I just noticed this in mine, same place, the same or a bit less amount of condensation. Thanks for the update, I may try something similar, or hitting it with a heat gun

Old 05-01-2021, 06:12 AM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

After drying the rear light, will applying a clear protective film on it solve the problem?

Old 08-05-2021, 03:55 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Any update on a full solution? My passenger tail light has permanent condensation now. When I get a chance I will pull the light and dry it out, but any idea what to seal it with? Not having seen it myself, maybe a bead of silicon caulk?

Thanks!

Old 06-19-2023, 08:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dsd
Any update on a full solution? My passenger tail light has permanent condensation now. When I get a chance I will pull the light and dry it out, but any idea what to seal it with? Not having seen it myself, maybe a bead of silicon caulk?

Thanks!
Why condensation? Except a crack? I don't have a crack and still condensationd