Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ ( X351 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/)
-   -   Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/upgrading-2010-2011-slow-touch-screen-display-162946/)

Slammerdoc 07-03-2017 08:43 PM

Is this a 2012MY? If I'm reading all the comments correctly, it should be... I have a 2011 I'm wanting to pop it into. That "should" give me a faster screen, right? Thanks!
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...318bafa954.png

sgregg67 07-04-2017 07:18 PM

Here's a picture of the display from the 2013 model that replaces my early 2012 display

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...d1a37cc05c.jpg

For reference, here's a picture of the 2012 display (manufactured late 2011)

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...83f9055880.jpg

rilot 07-05-2017 04:12 AM

@Slammerdoc You want the bit of that sticker on the right hand side. It will have vertical numbers like 12 03 22. The number on the bottom is the year of manufacture and the middle one is the month. You can see it in sgregg67's pics above.

Serlock 07-12-2017 09:52 AM

I just did the upgrade, everything was 5 minute job. Cant be more happier. I took the 2012 version TS.

Slammerdoc 07-13-2017 08:56 PM

I just did the upgrade as well and we couldn't be happier! Upgraded the 2011 to a 2012 (screen and AC panel). Total cost was less than $300! And it also only took about 10 minutes to install the new panel and screen. Too easy... just 8 easy screws! That was the easiest electronic upgrade I've ever done in any vehicle. Got both items off of eBay ($90 for the AC panel and $206 for the screen). I installed the panel first and confirmed that the extra buttons did not work with the old 2011 screen. But once I installed the 2012 screen, voila! The new buttons worked! The difference is night and day. Brighter screen, faster response, bigger screen buttons, much improved nav controls, and every setting carried over! The satellite retained all functionality as well (my biggest concern). I want to thank everyone in this thread for all the great guidance!

XJLFTW 10-29-2017 05:56 PM

I just bought a 2014 MY screen on Ebay for $130 - seemed like too good a deal to pass up! My car is a MY 2011 (US). Is there anything else I'll need? Is there a fix for the massage seat issue - I rarely use them but would like to keep the feature, if possible.

The PN for the screen is 10E889 CA, manufacture date 14 09 04.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...a13dc66c09.jpg

2014 screen

Gederc 12-29-2017 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Serlock (Post 1719839)
I just did the upgrade, everything was 5 minute job. Cant be more happier. I took the 2012 version TS.

Hi! how much You paid for that? Where did You find it?

Andrew422 03-19-2018 12:01 PM

Hi. Thanks to everyone for this incredibly useful thread, a life saver for my 2010 XJ Portfolio !! :-) ... I hope to have found a suitable upgrade screen, but please could someone help - I need to check if it is a dual view version (as my car is dual view) but the seller does not have details of the donor vehicle, all I have is the part number DW93-10E889-BF - would anyone know if this is a dual screen spec please? many thanks

xdave 03-19-2018 03:34 PM

Hi Andrew,

Dual view screens with WERS p/n CW93-10E889-DB are confirmed working with full functionality.
Single view screens with WERs p/n CW93-10E889-AB are also confirmed working with full functionality.

I think (and I must stress *think*) that revisions starting AX and CX are single view, and those starting BX and DX are dual view based on the way JLR have incremented the revisions on other items. However the only two I know for sure are those mentioned above.

If the DW93-10E889-BF is the one on eBay from a seller in Doncaster be aware that despite their returns policy on the listing, then as a UK buyer under the Consumer Contracts Regulations 2014 you have 14 days to inspect the screen and test it, and can reject it with no restocking cost and a full refund including the original shipping cost with those 14 days. (You only need to pay the return shipping if the seller explicitly tells you in advance, if they don't then they need to cover that as well.)

That said, I think that screen might be towards the later range of compatibility, but if you want to test it please do and report back! Pana89 has posted some excellent step-by-step photos on page 2 of this thread that show how you can just pop the old screen out and test the new one in about 10 minutes with only a flat prying tool and a torx screwdriver. Remember to test the satnav mini map in the instrument cluster, massage seats (if fitted) and the digital media settings (if fitted).

(While checking that I spotted a contradiction with the info in one of my earlier posts in this thread where I mixed up the dates and the part numbers - they were the wrong way round. I can't edit that post anymore so hopefully people reading this thread will read all the replies.)

lolshto 04-22-2018 06:17 AM

I wonder how would a 2010 car react to a 2013 AC unit with ECO button on top right instead of the I/O to turn on/off the screen?
I wanted to buy that unit, but hesitate whether all functions will work. Would would a car do if I press the ECO button ( I don't have engine start/stop function as the car is 2010 MY )?Also, were would I turn on/off the screen if the button no longer exists?
Any help appreciated as always.
AC unit, btw - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2015-Jaguar-XJ-D-3-0-X351-Heater-Controls-AC-Controller-DW93-18C858-XA/132556250145?epid=19017226473&hash=item1edcf7dc21

xdave 04-22-2018 07:23 AM

I've tested a 2012 AC unit with my 2010 MY and it worked, and a 2015 AC unit which caused the MS CAN bus to constantly restart. I believe it was a 2013-made part but it was sold on (It was provided with a TS I was testing).

That linked AC unit came from a 2015 car so I suspect it will cause the same symptoms.

What is your reason for changing the panel over? I went for the 2012 because I wanted to retain the seat button and the dual view button, as well as a dedicated power off button (where the eco button is on the later models). Without that button you won't be able to turn the screen off on an earlier car.

Mike shea 04-22-2018 01:51 PM

2010 XF premium

Originally Posted by xdave (Post 1463535)
If you have a 2010 or 2011 XJ you will know the frustration of trying to use the touchscreen it was built with. The buttons are tiny and the touch screen is unresponsive without continually jabbing at it. It is a massive disapointment in an otherwise brilliant car.

I have seen this question pop up a few times on different forums, but haven't seen anyone sharing the way to upgrade that to the much more usable later versions. Which is odd, because it is really, really easy to do. I have now upgraded the system in four X351s from 2010 and 2011 without any issues encountered so far.

All you need is a 2012MY onwards touch screen from a breakers yard. Typical cost is £150. It takes all of 2 minutes to change over.

1. Pop the surround trim off with a flat blade where where the dash trim has its seam about level with the base of the screen. It just lifts off.
2. Remove the eight size 20 hex screws and remove the AC controls and the old screen.
3. Swap the screens over.
4. Replace AC controls, screws and trim.

That's really it - no programming, no security codes, just turn on the ignition and after a slightly longer than normal pause for the first time only the screen will come on with all the options fitted to your car as before. Only this time you only have to lightly touch the buttons to activate them, and the software will be running at the later version with larger buttons, better sat nav controls, and so on. It is so much safer to use.

There is only one thing you need to watch out for when selecting a replacement screen. If you have dual view and want to retain it then the donor screen must also be dual view. Otherwise it's not an issue to fit a dual view screen to a non-speced car (you'll gain the hardware, but will need to code it by modifying the CCF data to make it available for use). The easiest way to determine whether it has dual view is to either get the donor VIN and check the build spec on TOPIx, or ask for a photo of it still installed and look for the button on the AC control panel.

The AC control panel does change along with the touch screen specs on each model year. For example the earier ones did not have dedicated AV/NAV and PHONE buttons. You can however still access all the functionality with your original 10/11 AC panel. On one car I swapped the panel over as the owner wanted the newer style buttons too and that worked fine too, but it is not really necessary. Note that from 2015 (maybe 2016 US) model years onwards the door locking buttons moved onto the door handles themselves. Also note that from 2013 the BW sound system was replaced with Meridan. If your car has one of the premium amp levels the icon will apear as Meridan if the touch screen is later than 2013, however when tested it still operates as before. From 2017MY the touch screens may be different if the new system was specified so always check the donor unit looks like the one you are removing.

Below are some photos of the last 2013 screen I installed, together with the changed AC controls. The final two with the trim fitted are from a 2015 screen fitted to my own XJ. The software is very close but slightly tweaked nav controls and some UI gloss. The main difference is that the nav screen no longer has that annoying confirmation prompt, instead you get one when first starting the car that times out automatically after 15 seconds if not touched anywhere on the screen.

When looking at the label on the rear of a screen, the sideways numbers on the far right are the date code. The first two are the year, the others I suspect are week codes. Anything made after mid 2011 will have 2012 or later software installed.

can this also be done with the 2010 XF premium screen ?
Thank you

lolshto 05-05-2018 09:18 AM

I ended up replacing the unit from 2012 MY car ( the touchscreen was 2011-12 though ) and it's a day-night difference. Whoever hesitates whether to change or not just change it, you won't regret.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...9b0b65f104.jpg

cicirrigi 05-05-2018 08:27 PM

I am still searching for a display at a decent price.I couldn't find one. As Xdave said I need CW93-10E889-DB to keep full functionality and the dual view option. I will continue watching Ebay maybe I will be lucky.

lolshto 05-07-2018 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by cicirrigi (Post 1890033)
I am still searching for a display at a decent price.I couldn't find one. As Xdave said I need CW93-10E889-DB to keep full functionality and the dual view option. I will continue watching Ebay maybe I will be lucky.

I got mine for 250 EURO installed. This is a non dual view screen, but I never ever used it, so I swapped for a non dual view and changed the AC panel as well ( the same, but without the dual view button ). I find the dual view as useless as night vision in BMW ( I had it once ) and other cars.
I have also red somewhere that single view screen is somehow less blurry.
I am more than happy with the result. It's literally day and night difference and I never regret to lose the dual view functionality, which is totally useless for me.

DanJensen 07-21-2018 11:31 AM

First, a big thanks to xdave for starting this thread and providing the very useful information. Input from other posters was also very helpful. I completed the change using a TS from a ’12 XJ. I was motivated to do so after driving a ’15 XJ, wondering if I could upgrade my TS, and then finding this thread. I can confirm that CW93-10E889-AB is fully compatible with my ’11 XJ, as noted by xdave in post #70, including the mini directional map in the IP. As others have stated, this is a huge improvement and is well worth the 20 minutes and $279 I spent. I was fortunate to find the ’12 TS on eBay from LKQ. It has a manufacture date of 23 July 2011.

I had another success as a result of the changeout. I had previously purchased the Jaguar 2017 SatNav update, supplied on a thumb drive. This did not work in my car, despite efforts by my local Jaguar dealer and Jaguar Corporate. In the end, Jaguar stated I needed to upgrade the TS, but at $2500 I declined. One of the first things I tried after installing the ’12 TS was loading the new map database. This time the process started up as expected and, after ~2.5 hr, the upgrade was fully loaded and operational. This made my $220 map upgrade a useful purchase after all.

I had one additional success. I was able to get rid of my very gummy buttons. Look for “2014 XJ gummy interior buuttons” on the forum, post #10, for details. In summary, just use your fingernails!

Removal of the screen surround is straightforward, as others have described. However, under “2014 XJ gummy interior buuttons”, xdave noted “Be careful not to drop any of the clips down the back or they will rattle!” I found this advice only after two clips dropped off. I couldn’t find them despite a careful search with a magnet, fingers, etc., but fortunately there is no rattle. In my case, missing the two clips from the center attachments made no difference in re-securing the surround. I have attached a few photos of the backside of the surround to show the attachment points and clips.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...bc6c4592f1.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...f3ca1ba366.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...9f7ee4700a.jpg

christ 08-02-2018 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by xdave (Post 1643758)
Dual view screens with WERS p/n CW93-10E889-DB are confirmed working with full functionality.
Single view screens with WERs p/n CW93-10E889-AB are also confirmed working with full functionality.
No need to upgrade the IAM (CD/DVD player module).

You would be able to replace yours with the former, and retain your existing AC control panel buttons, with no loss of functionality on a 2010MY car.

There are no DV screens on eBay at the moment, only one SV screen. Your best bet is to contact a few Jaguar car breakers and tell them your interest in a touch screen from a 2012/2013 car with the part number CW93-10E889-DB printed on the rear. Alternatively you can ask for the last 8 characters of the VIN on any 2012/2013 vehicles they are breaking and use https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix/user/loginForm to check the specification of the vehicle to see if it had dual view then make an offer.

OK - at the risk of being gazumped by someone else looking for the same thing: there is currently a CW93-10E889-BC for sale on eBay UK, so I am duty-bound to ask: will this fit my 2011 (UK 60 plate) flawlessly, and is it dual view? (... and if it does fit, is it new enough to provide any benefit?)

Anyone? xDave?

Paul Winfield 10-06-2018 03:31 PM

My MY2011 keeps tripping off so I have to keep taking it to an independents to clear the fault codes. Im now sick to the back teeth of this really naff head unit and would like to try and source a MY2012 or above that would be suiteable. Does anyone have any ideas on the best place to find one. EBAY seems to be few and far between, and what is on there is an inflated rip off.

Many thanks
Paul

Paul Winfield 10-06-2018 03:42 PM

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192667578...MakeTrack=true

Would this fit my 2011 XJ?

JagXJRuiz 10-08-2018 02:14 PM

Wow I never knew you could do this. This is definitely something I will do in the future. Thank you for the information. Didn’t know it’s so easy to do.

xdave 10-09-2018 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Winfield (Post 1971940)

That is EW93-10E889-XX, so it will fit with the following exceptions:
- Your may not get the satnav minimap in the instrument cluster (you would still get street names). I am not certain of that though, because the instrument cluster video format only changed with the 2015MY (FW93 revised parts).
- SDARS/DAB+ issues have been reported with presets not being saved.
- Front seat massage functions may not work

CW93s are not as rare on eBay/breakers now as more cars from 2012-2013 are sadly now being scrapped. If you can wait a few weeks you may find one.

Paul Winfield 10-09-2018 06:45 AM

Those issues would be acceptable. My model doesnt have massage function or DAB. I also use Waze for my Satnav, not the built in one so I could live with this.

Thanks for the feedback, I will be purchasing later this evening

Paul Winfield 10-30-2018 05:00 AM

EW93-10E889-XX fitted without issues. More than happy with it.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...972aef97b7.jpg

xdave 10-30-2018 06:07 AM

That's great Paul.

Can you confirm if the satnav mini-map in the instrument cluster works ok when a route is selected?

christ 10-30-2018 06:14 AM

Please could you list the non-available functionality, so that I can assess the cost of going to an EW?

Paul Winfield 10-30-2018 06:20 AM

I'll confirm if it works this evening. I dont use the satnav as I use Waze on the phone.

Del Toro Armando 11-18-2018 01:11 PM

Hello

I would like to thank you all for the GREAT topic, full of information and with pictures advises and how to do etc..
I am really grateful

Now I will be the owner of a Jaguar XJ L ( long base) 3.0 diesel Supersport, I go pick up the car next Wednesday, however, it is a model from 9 /2010, it still have the original screen from 2010
I would like to update it to a better version from 2012 2013, but the car ( almost full options) has dual view
My question
is this screen dual view ? or would it work?

Del Toro Armando 11-18-2018 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Del Toro Armando (Post 1990352)
Hello

I would like to thank you all for the GREAT topic, full of information and with pictures advises and how to do etc..
I am really grateful

Now I will be the owner of a Jaguar XJ L ( long base) 3.0 diesel Supersport, I go pick up the car next Wednesday, however, it is a model from 9 /2010, it still have the original screen from 2010
I would like to update it to a better version from 2012 2013, but the car ( almost full options) has dual view
My question
is this screen dual view ? or would it work?

with attachment

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...5f2e93e96b.jpg

Geoffrey Fake 11-19-2018 01:18 PM

Hi Xdave

quick question I have a screen for my 2010 Jaguar XJ L do you know if this Sat nav is dual view? DW93 10E889 BD . C2D30407

thank you in advance

xdave 11-20-2018 05:18 AM

DW93-10E889-BF should be dual view, yes.
C2D30407 (as the orderable part no) is dual view and fits the date range from DW93-10E889-BF, but I cannot cross reference WERS against orderable part numbers myself and need to check with my parts dealer.

Cambo 11-20-2018 06:43 AM

DW93-10E889-BF = C2D31303

C2D30407 = DW93-10E889-BE

BE, BF, same same

Geoffrey Fake 11-20-2018 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by xdave (Post 1991113)
DW93-10E889-BF should be dual view, yes.
C2D30407 (as the orderable part no) is dual view and fits the date range from DW93-10E889-BF, but I cannot cross reference WERS against orderable part numbers myself and need to check with my parts dealer.

I just received the display today and I go pick up my car Jaguar XJ L Supersport at the garage tomorrow ( just bought it) and it has the dualview screen but from 2010

here is the display DW93 10E889 BD C2D30407 hope dual view
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...68143fc1af.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...00af4e6367.jpg

Geoffrey Fake 11-22-2018 04:33 AM

Small cluster screen only with road name no map.

Xdave

i did the change today, all works perfectly,(dual view seats massage seats airco front behind tcrear camera etc etc ... besides ONE thing

the IP screen the small that appears in the cluster only shows the name of the streets... it is a shame

Any idea ?

updating the map to a 2018 would it make a difference ?

Thank you

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...ee026abb54.jpg

Geoffrey Fake 11-22-2018 04:37 AM

I forgot to mention, I replaced the old 2010 AW93 10E889 BJ by the DW93 10E889 BD (C2D30407

christ 11-22-2018 08:29 AM

From my understanding, you have found a known issue (the other being the loss of massage seat functionality) in fitting the DW to an earlier car. No-one that I have seen has found a workaround to this (these?) issue(s)

... but I'm not an expert, just an interested rubbernecker looking to put a CW into mine! (I like the little map, dammit!)

xdave 11-22-2018 08:38 AM

We knew that the screens with the engineering part no starting year EW93 onwards use a different video format to send the satnav video data from the screen (where it is produced) to the instrument cluster. From your findings it appears that change occurred with the DW93 changes. Upgrading the map data won't help there unfortunately as it is hardware.

That means we can conclusively state that only CW93 are confirmed as 100% working.

AW93 and BW93 are the older, slower screen hardware.
CW93 are the ones to upgrade to because they retain 100% functionality with the earlier cars.
DW93 retain front massage controls but was the release when the instrument cluster video format changed so the satnav mini-map will not show street graphics.
EW93 are from the 2014MY when the massage seats changed, so you lose that function in addition to the mini-map. *
FW93 are from the 2016MY major refresh and in addition to the differences above you also lose the ability to store DAB+/SDARS presets (although the tuners still work fine).

* Currently not certain if the DAB+/SDARS presets not saving also applies to EW93.

FW93 may have been the last engineering update to the Bosch screens as the move from IAM2.1 to NGI for the infotainment system was shortly after, although I believe there was a bit of overlap to the change with the various InControl/InControl Touch/InControl Pro variants. (Cambo knows more about that change than I do.)

christ 11-22-2018 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by xdave (Post 1992064)
We knew that the screens with the engineering part no starting year EW93 onwards use a different video format to send the satnav video data from the screen (where it is produced) to the instrument cluster. From your findings it appears that change occurred with the DW93 changes. Upgrading the map data won't help there unfortunately as it is hardware.

That means we can conclusively state that only CW93 are confirmed as 100% working.

AW93 and BW93 are the older, slower screen hardware.
CW93 are the ones to upgrade to because they retain 100% functionality with the earlier cars.
DW93 retain front massage controls but was the release when the instrument cluster video format changed so the satnav mini-map will not show street graphics.
EW93 are from the 2014MY when the massage seats changed, so you lose that function in addition to the mini-map.
FW93 are from the 2016MY major refresh and in addition to the differences above you also lose the ability to store DAB+/SDARS presets (although the tuners still work fine).

FW93 may have been the last engineering update to the Bosch screens as the move from IAM2.1 to NGI for the infotainment system was shortly after, although I believe there was a bit of overlap to the change with the various InControl/InControl Touch/InControl Pro variants. (Cambo knows more about that change than I do.)

Thanks xdave. I'm printing out and saving this post!

Shaun Flowers 12-27-2018 04:15 PM

Screen

[QUOTE=xdave;1464432]The early touch screens are downright dangerous and should never have passed QC. It's all very well putting a warning in the manual that you shouldn't operate them while driving but when they are used for climate control and seat heaters, etc, they are clearly intended to be operated on the move. The screens in the X350/X Type/S Type facelift from 15 years ago were safer and easier to use.

I don't have any 2013+ screens at the moment.

if you do come across a 2013+ screen id be happy to purchase from you as im having trouble finding one. My xj has dual screen.

Shaun Flowers 01-06-2019 01:45 PM

Replacement not working

Ive purchased a replacement unit dated 2015.

when placed in the car i see the jaguat logo, then the screen just goes blank?

anyone know why this is happening?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...a7bfcdbe71.jpg

Cambo 01-06-2019 02:21 PM

That screen is from a Range Rover Sport, it's not compatible with the XJ