Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ ( X351 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/)
-   -   Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/upgrading-2010-2011-slow-touch-screen-display-162946/)

Shaun Flowers 01-06-2019 04:54 PM

Replacement not working

Thanks for that.
how do you know its from a range rover?

i will be looking for another one to buy. What should i be looking for? Apart from the date.

many thanks.

Cambo 01-06-2019 06:42 PM

Because of the part number, the GK62 prefix is Range Rover Sport L494

XJ is xW93 prefix, look here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...3/#post1992064

Dual View you want either DW93-10E889-BF or DW93-10E889-BE

Shaun Flowers 01-07-2019 12:50 AM

Replacement not working

Yes i need a dual view screen. Thanks for your advise.

thats really helped me. Thanks

toxo 01-07-2019 02:58 AM

I appreciate this is in the X351 forum and is centered specifically around XJs, but I guess there could be some similarity with the XF as many systems are similar. I have a MY2011 XFR which is a recent purchase and the touch screen is infuriatingly slow, and as has been mentioned edging towards dangerous. A bit of scouring eBay and google seems to show that there were 2 touch screen units for the X250, one made by Alpine and one that has Bosch logos on the back - the Bosch one looks similar to the unit you're working with here. I would guess that the one unit is for the lower spec stereo option (no subwoofers etc) and the other unit is for the better system. However it appears that while your units have engineering numbers starting A-F followed by W93 the XF units are labelled A-F followed by X93.

I intend to pop the unit out of my dash later on today to see a) which type of unit the car has and b) whether it's an AX, BX, CX etc. There is a breakers near me which has a 2012 Bosch type (CX93) for £70 which might be worth a punt.

toxo 01-07-2019 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by toxo (Post 2010322)
I appreciate this is in the X351 forum and is centered specifically around XJs, but I guess there could be some similarity with the XF as many systems are similar. I have a MY2011 XFR which is a recent purchase and the touch screen is infuriatingly slow, and as has been mentioned edging towards dangerous. A bit of scouring eBay and google seems to show that there were 2 touch screen units for the X250, one made by Alpine and one that has Bosch logos on the back - the Bosch one looks similar to the unit you're working with here. I would guess that the one unit is for the lower spec stereo option (no subwoofers etc) and the other unit is for the better system. However it appears that while your units have engineering numbers starting A-F followed by W93 the XF units are labelled A-F followed by X93.

I intend to pop the unit out of my dash later on today to see a) which type of unit the car has and b) whether it's an AX, BX, CX etc. There is a breakers near me which has a 2014 Bosch type (CX93) for £70 which might be worth a punt.

Just realised I made a mistake in there - the XF units part numbers are X23 not X93! So BX23 is what I suspect I have in mine.

Cambo 01-07-2019 03:19 AM

No, the system in the XF up to 2011MY is totally different to the 2012MY onward, totally different, nothing compatible.

toxo 01-07-2019 03:20 AM

That's rather infuriating. Mine is a very early 2011 (in fact I just checked and the date of registration is 23/Dec/2010) if that makes a difference. If not I guess I will just have to live with it!! The noise more than makes up for it :)

xdave 01-09-2019 08:13 AM

A non-dual view CW93-10E889-AB has just been listed on eBay for £130 ($170 US). Ships worldwide from the UK.
I'm not affiliated, but if you are waiting for a fully compatible screen to come up then that is one.
(edit - compatible with XJ X351, it is not for an XF)

christ 01-09-2019 08:30 AM

Aaargh. So close!

If I fit that one to mine (dual view), am I right in that I will get all of the functionality in the back, the only difference is that the front seat passenger can't watch TV/DVD/VCR?

-- toying with the idea of going with that one until a dual view comes in ...

xdave 01-09-2019 11:47 AM

I believe we have had one member fit a single view screen into a dual view car.
You should retain all features except the front passenger dual view as you have said. The dual view button would just do nothing.
On the other hand you do gain twice the resolution on the screen as half is not used for each seat.

christ 01-10-2019 03:33 AM

So I rush off to click buy, but someone beat me to it. Next time I'm not waiting!

Thanks for the heads up, xDave!

christ 03-07-2019 05:00 AM

For those still following this thread, another one (apparently dual view) has turned up on UK eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-XJ...EAAOSwy6hcgOVK

markstan 03-15-2019 11:11 AM

hi
is it possible to upgrade the screen and add dab as my portfolio does not have it

xdave 03-15-2019 12:02 PM

Hello,
Upgrading the touch screen is covered in this thread.
You can see how to retrofit DAB on this other thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ystems-162263/

clubairth1 03-15-2019 02:03 PM

When asking questions we REALLY need what car you are asking about!!
It does make a difference.

xdave 03-16-2019 10:02 AM

Another one on eBay from Lithuania. Dual view. It is at the top range of the prices these normally go for, but I'll share anyway in case you want one and are happy to pay the price.
UK: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143173515815
US: https://www.ebay.com/itm/143173515815

madman1133 03-25-2019 01:22 PM

So the car I purchased had this upgrade done. However, it seems like some of the functionality was lost. I can't get to the seat massage functions and the parking sensors in the front dont work. Not sure what happened.

christ 03-26-2019 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by madman1133 (Post 2045378)
So the car I purchased had this upgrade done. However, it seems like some of the functionality was lost. I can't get to the seat massage functions and the parking sensors in the front dont work. Not sure what happened.

At a guess your AW93 was replaced by a DW93 not a CW93, as what you describe appears to be the symptoms that result from such an 'upgrade'.

christ 04-03-2019 07:04 AM

For those of you to the left of the pond without dual view:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-2012...MAAOSw8ihck82U

Shaun Flowers 05-19-2019 09:02 AM

One on ebay.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F372672617042

Item no 372672617042

christ 05-21-2019 03:15 AM

OK. So now I am the proud owner of a CW93 10E889 BB. (£89 inc. P&P from mr eBay).

Now I have to decide if I am brave enough to actually start messing with the bits of my car that actually work and risk changing that.

Decisions, decisions.

A question to anyone looking in: is this guaranteed to be a dual view?

Another: will it change the interface in the remote for the TV? The seven year old grandson has figured it out (alone among all family members!), and I don't want to confuse him unnecessarily.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b1o04bezh6...reen.jpg?raw=1

christ 05-21-2019 03:16 AM

Edit: OK - I was steamrollered into it. I broke out my entire toolkit, and set to destroying my car (primarily using xDave's handy step by step guide, supplemented by other nags and aids). I then proceeded to waste a year's worth of adrenaline prying breakable plastic bits until they either snapped or came loose!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0enpqpl5t...OMG.jpeg?raw=1

Ten minutes later, I had the new one in and back together!

Everything works, as far as I can tell, including seat massage and minimap:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xnucfa4gg...map.jpeg?raw=1

... and here is the left overs (ironically, after my agonising, a BB!):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ovu6sg5f5p...nit.jpeg?raw=1

Functionality appears (after a worryingly long w-a-i-t) to be identical, maybe a touch more responsive, with the big difference that the satnav voice is now male - very disorienting!

I can therefore confirm that CW93-10E889-BB works with full functionality. It doesn't appear, however, to be massively more responsive - that may be due to the fact that I had got used to the foibles of the old one over the last 15 months.

christ 05-22-2019 03:35 AM

OK - next day - first impressions were wrong: this new screen is definitely more responsive than the old one, even if the boot time is similar or longer.

I have to confess that I expected the CW screen to give me new buttons on the interface, but I still have:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v69ipw7d5m...New.jpeg?raw=1

Is this the expected interface?

xdave 05-23-2019 09:47 AM

That is the first time I have seen the older style interface on a CW93 display.
Given the date of the unit (on the label) I wonder if that is one of the screens from the switch over period in 2012 when the 2013 MY cars were coming out with the earlier software and the owners were given a free upgrade via their dealers.
I always assumed that was a hardware change, but it may have been software. If you hold in the valet button for about 30 seconds (I forget exactly how long) you should get into the diagnostics menu - can you get the software version and post here?
I would be tempted to reflash the software onto that unit via SDD to see if it changes.

christ 05-24-2019 04:32 PM

I tried holding on to the valet button (for several minutes) and all that happened was my finger got numb. Should the engine be on or off?

christ 05-28-2019 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by christ (Post 2075586)
I tried holding on to the valet button (for several minutes) and all that happened was my finger got numb. Should the engine be on or off?

I answered this myself - it doesn't make any difference. I also tried pressing and holding in all of the other corners of the screen, engine on/ engine off, and no magic screens popped up.

Originally Posted by xdave (Post 2074989)
I would be tempted to reflash the software onto that unit via SDD to see if it changes.

This isn't an option for me, as (1) I don't have access to SDD, and (2) that sounds like I would have a house brick in place of a touch screen if it went wrong.

Colnago 06-09-2019 12:34 PM

Question - just installed a CW93 unit in place of the miserable BW93 that came with my car (2011 Supersport). The install was straightforward and the new screen worked perfectly (much crisper and more responsive). But today when I started the car the screen wouldn't respond to touch commands - only the dash buttons - and randomly loaded the nav screen and proceeded to spin about the map. I tried turning it on and off, turning the car on and off, no change. Is my new display a lemon or is there a software fix? I really don't want to have to reinstall the old screen (the new one is under warranty, fortunately).

christ 06-10-2019 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Colnago (Post 2082602)
Question - just installed a CW93 unit in place of the miserable BW93 that came with my car (2011 Supersport). The install was straightforward and the new screen worked perfectly (much crisper and more responsive). But today when I started the car the screen wouldn't respond to touch commands - only the dash buttons - and randomly loaded the nav screen and proceeded to spin about the map. I tried turning it on and off, turning the car on and off, no change. Is my new display a lemon or is there a software fix? I really don't want to have to reinstall the old screen (the new one is under warranty, fortunately).

I can't be of any help theoretically or practically, but if it were a computer exhibiting those sorts of symptoms my suggestion would be that it is acting as though a control is being held down somewhere - is it possible that something is pressing on the touch screen somewhere? If not I fear that it is a lemon and should go back.

christ 08-12-2019 05:26 AM

Some of you may remember that I plucked up the courage to trade my BW93 10E889 touch screen for a CW93, and it all seemed to go well with no missing functionality. I now have discovered that the remote control no longer functions wirelessly - it works when docked in the armrest, but not when removed. I can't honestly tell if this is new, or started when I did the upgrade. Does anyone have any more knowledge of how this system works to tell me if it is possibly expected behaviour, or if something else may be wrong?

(... not that it is a real issue, as it is perfectly usable in its dock)

Alex Ward 01-17-2020 12:38 PM

Dragging up an old thread here...

To access the Engineering menu for the touchscreen & NAV, press and hold the small Leaper in the top LH side of the screen whilst on the home menu.

DO NOT select anything that says software upload etc as this will brick the system leading to an expensive trip to your local dealer....

Hope this helps...

Alex

Andycots 10-02-2020 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by christ (Post 2074335)
OK - next day - first impressions were wrong: this new screen is definitely more responsive than the old one, even if the boot time is similar or longer.

I have to confess that I expected the CW screen to give me new buttons on the interface, but I still have:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v69ipw7d5m...New.jpeg?raw=1

Is this the expected interface?

Did you manage to update to the newer interface or are you still on the one above.

Andy

christ 10-03-2020 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Andycots (Post 2297465)
Did you manage to update to the newer interface or are you still on the one above.

Andy

Well, yes and no: I wrote that car off, still with the old interface, but I bought a 2017 Autobiography with a (much) newer interface!

... so the old car is still on the old interface, but I am on a newer one! (It remains the only CW93 with the old interface that anyone has seen, though)

Andycots 10-04-2020 02:46 AM

Oh dear, that was a big jump, I did check the donar car and it has the newer button config so should be good to go, just waiting for it to get over the pond.

Andy

Timothy Geyer 10-22-2020 04:39 PM

Good evening to All.

I'm new to the group from sunny South Africa.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread! So much knowledge... Recently bought a 2010 Jaguar XJ and it seems I need to upgrade by display screen to CW93-10E889-DB. We are having trouble finding a second hand one (any help will be greatly appreciated). Can anyone please tell me if they know the difference between CW93-10E889-DB and the CW93-10E889-CB? There are a few 'CB' for sale, but no 'DB'. I have read that the 'DB' is a compatible upgrade. Dual view is preferred.

Thanks, Tim
​​

xdave 10-26-2020 04:12 AM

Hi Tim,

CW93-10E889-CB / C2D24887 is single view, up till vin V39426.
Supersedes onto C2D33155 / CW93-10E889-CC which is single view up till V73685.

CW93-10E889-DB / C2D24888 is dual view, up till vin V39426.
There is no stated supersession for that part.

Timothy Geyer 10-26-2020 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by xdave (Post 2308211)
Hi Tim,

CW93-10E889-CB / C2D24887 is single view, up till vin V39426.
Supersedes onto C2D33155 / CW93-10E889-CC which is single view up till V73685.

CW93-10E889-DB / C2D24888 is dual view, up till vin V39426.
There is no stated supersession for that part.

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge! It is really appreciated.
​​​​​
If you ever come across a dual view CW93-10E88-DB or CW93-10E88-BB please do let know... Really struggling to find one. Searched eBay high and low and also LKQ Online.Online. Plenty of single view CW93's.

Is there really a massive benefit to the dual view?

Regards,

Tim

rothwell 03-25-2021 09:27 AM

I did this mod to my 2011 XJL.

I bought this one for $70 at a breaker near me.

CW93 10E889 AC removed from a 2012 vin# SAJWA2GB2CLV29707

Installed it and it works perfectly.

The_Ikon 03-18-2022 09:08 PM

I just forwarded this thread to my brother, I know it’s older but it’s still informative!

Bierse 11-15-2022 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by xdave (Post 1463535)
If you have a 2010 or 2011 XJ you will know the frustration of trying to use the touchscreen it was built with. The buttons are tiny and the touch screen is unresponsive without continually jabbing at it. It is a massive disapointment in an otherwise brilliant car.

I have seen this question pop up a few times on different forums, but haven't seen anyone sharing the way to upgrade that to the much more usable later versions. Which is odd, because it is really, really easy to do. I have now upgraded the system in four X351s from 2010 and 2011 without any issues encountered so far.

All you need is a 2012MY onwards touch screen from a breakers yard. Typical cost is £150. It takes all of 2 minutes to change over.

1. Pop the surround trim off with a flat blade where where the dash trim has its seam about level with the base of the screen. It just lifts off.
2. Remove the eight size 20 hex screws and remove the AC controls and the old screen.
3. Swap the screens over.
4. Replace AC controls, screws and trim.

That's really it - no programming, no security codes, just turn on the ignition and after a slightly longer than normal pause for the first time only the screen will come on with all the options fitted to your car as before. Only this time you only have to lightly touch the buttons to activate them, and the software will be running at the later version with larger buttons, better sat nav controls, and so on. It is so much safer to use.

There is only one thing you need to watch out for when selecting a replacement screen. If you have dual view and want to retain it then the donor screen must also be dual view. Otherwise it's not an issue to fit a dual view screen to a non-speced car (you'll gain the hardware, but will need to code it by modifying the CCF data to make it available for use). The easiest way to determine whether it has dual view is to either get the donor VIN and check the build spec on TOPIx, or ask for a photo of it still installed and look for the button on the AC control panel.

The AC control panel does change along with the touch screen specs on each model year. For example the earier ones did not have dedicated AV/NAV and PHONE buttons. You can however still access all the functionality with your original 10/11 AC panel. On one car I swapped the panel over as the owner wanted the newer style buttons too and that worked fine too, but it is not really necessary. Note that from 2015 (maybe 2016 US) model years onwards the door locking buttons moved onto the door handles themselves. Also note that from 2013 the BW sound system was replaced with Meridan. If your car has one of the premium amp levels the icon will apear as Meridan if the touch screen is later than 2013, however when tested it still operates as before. From 2017MY the touch screens may be different if the new system was specified so always check the donor unit looks like the one you are removing.

Below are some photos of the last 2013 screen I installed, together with the changed AC controls. The final two with the trim fitted are from a 2015 screen fitted to my own XJ. The software is very close but slightly tweaked nav controls and some UI gloss. The main difference is that the nav screen no longer has that annoying confirmation prompt, instead you get one when first starting the car that times out automatically after 15 seconds if not touched anywhere on the screen.

When looking at the label on the rear of a screen, the sideways numbers on the far right are the date code. The first two are the year, the others I suspect are week codes. Anything made after mid 2011 will have 2012 or later software installed.

Hey guys, isnt it possible to just Update the screen? Maybe the jaguar dealer can update the Firmware and get the Software of the newer screens?
thank you

Bierse 11-15-2022 05:13 AM

Hey guys isn’t it possible to just update the firmware of the older screens at the Jaguar dealer? Thanks in advance.

Br
Sebastian