XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

what to expect from a 13/14 xj 6cyl awd??

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to expect from a 13/14 xj 6cyl awd??

hey i drive for a living need some input.
need a luxury car with my company and usually get a benz or lexus since i no what the common problems are with them. i wil keep the car max 3 years. i usually put about 30k a year on em.

i love this car im hunting for one and have 2 in mind and want to pull the trigger already.

want to know:
Known issues.
expected suspension service.
electrical issues?
Jag warranty worth the $

or anything else i might want to know.

thanks !!

Old 07-12-2016, 03:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,842 Likes on 3,159 Posts

Jay, the big issue that most people have with the 13/14 XJ's isn't so much a "problem", but how the car functions. The car has a feature built into it called "START/STOP". In short, if you are riding around in downtown NYC lets say, when you come to a stop light, after about 10 seconds, the engine will turn off (all electrical still continues to run) and then when you let off of the brake, the engine will restart and allow the car to move again. Now, think about how often you might be in a stop an go situation. some people find this starting and stopping annoying. If you are thinking that you are going to just defeat it, I will guarantee that the dealership will not be able to help you and you won't be able to sell the car with whatever mod is installed as the car was designed with this feature to save gas in stop and go traffic.

As for suspension issues, the car uses a fairly robust suspension setup with only fancy shocks. So, the need for special suspension work should be kept to a minimum. As for other issues, not many out there as the car is ranked one of the most reliable out there.

As for a warranty, that is a loaded question and is very situational. If you are doing long drives a lot (hence why you rack up lots of miles), then I would say skip the warranty and just put away a little more each month to cover any unexpected repairs. If you are doing a lot of stop and go, this is going to be harder on the car and getting the warranty may be a good idea.

On a side note, it seems like your job requires you to put on a good show. If you are transporting clients around, you will want to get the XJL. 2 reasons behind this. The bigger thing is the L version is 6" long and all 6 inches is in the rear leg room. So, the client will be in more comfort, even if you have your seat all the way back. The other thing is the L version can come with airline trays built into the back of the front seats. May be nice for them if they need to do something and need a place to set their laptop. Granted, there are also some features that only come with the L version (reclining seats, massage seats) that may be something worthwhile to have if you want to really make an impression.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,171 Likes on 3,393 Posts

I have a 2013 XJ 5.0L SC SWB and want to comment on the Intelligent Stop-Start system (it was first available on the 2013 models). At first, I didn't like it because I thought it was too intrusive in stop-and-go situations as Thermo mentioned. But what he doesn't realize (because he drives a 2012) is that you can easily control when to cause the engine to stop or keep running. A heavy foot on the brake pedal will cause the engine to shut off, but keeping a light foot on the brake when you're stopped will keep the engine running. Also, there are various sensors that determine when the engine will stop and restart, including the battery condition, cabin temperature and climate control, and electrical load (lights, wipers, etc.). I've found that by setting the AC to recirculate, the engine will remain off for a longer time than when the AC brings in outside air because the interior of the car stays cooler even though the AC compressor stops when the engine stops. And if Stop-Start really bugs you, there's a switch on the dash to completely shut it off. But you have to push that button every time you start the car; it defaults to on, unless you manually shut it off. I've gotten used to it and really like it, particularly since I've gotten 17 mpg in the city with 470 HP!

As for the Jaguar warranty, since you're looking for a used 2013 or 2014 I recommend you lease a CPO XJ: Certified Pre-Owned Program Benefits | Jaguar USA (click on SEARCH INVENTORY) for a CPO XJ. These cars are rare, so search nationwide; don't limit your search to the metro NY area. Ideally, you'll be able to find "the one" with low mileage and the colors and options that you want. The Jaguar CPO warranty extends the original new car warranty to 6 years or 100,000 miles from the date that car was first placed in service; it does not begin when you buy that car. Your Jaguar dealer can tell you that in-service date from the VIN. A knowledgeable Jaguar salesperson is your best resource to determine what options are important to you. Adaptive Cruise Control, for example, is hard to find. You don't need to buy an Extended Service Contract if the CPO coverage will last for as long as you'll be driving the XJ. Read this: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rranty-164118/

Since this will be a company car, I presume that you will lease it. But why are you concerned about the warranty being worth the cost? Doesn't the company pay/reimburse you for all expenses?

Old 07-16-2016, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I have a 2013 XJ 5.0L SC SWB and want to comment on the Intelligent Stop-Start system (it was first available on the 2013 models). At first, I didn't like it because I thought it was too intrusive in stop-and-go situations as Thermo mentioned. But what he doesn't realize (because he drives a 2012) is that you can easily control when to cause the engine to stop or keep running. A heavy foot on the brake pedal will cause the engine to shut off, but keeping a light foot on the brake when you're stopped will keep the engine running. Also, there are various sensors that determine when the engine will stop and restart, including the battery condition, cabin temperature and climate control, and electrical load (lights, wipers, etc.). I've found that by setting the AC to recirculate, the engine will remain off for a longer time than when the AC brings in outside air because the interior of the car stays cooler even though the AC compressor stops when the engine stops. And if Stop-Start really bugs you, there's a switch on the dash to completely shut it off. But you have to push that button every time you start the car; it defaults to on, unless you manually shut it off. I've gotten used to it and really like it, particularly since I've gotten 17 mpg in the city with 470 HP!

As for the Jaguar warranty, since you're looking for a used 2013 or 2014 I recommend you lease a CPO XJ: Certified Pre-Owned Program Benefits | Jaguar USA (click on SEARCH INVENTORY) for a CPO XJ. These cars are rare, so search nationwide; don't limit your search to the metro NY area. Ideally, you'll be able to find "the one" with low mileage and the colors and options that you want. The Jaguar CPO warranty extends the original new car warranty to 6 years or 100,000 miles from the date that car was first placed in service; it does not begin when you buy that car. Your Jaguar dealer can tell you that in-service date from the VIN. A knowledgeable Jaguar salesperson is your best resource to determine what options are important to you. Adaptive Cruise Control, for example, is hard to find. You don't need to buy an Extended Service Contract if the CPO coverage will last for as long as you'll be driving the XJ. Read this: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rranty-164118/

Since this will be a company car, I presume that you will lease it. But why are you concerned about the warranty being worth the cost? Doesn't the company pay/reimburse you for all expenses?
Nope. I wish they did that. Only thing they pay is gas and tolls. They put out reservations and I pickem. Get paid and deal is over. I never heard of a company that pays all of that. That would be sweet.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Jay, the big issue that most people have with the 13/14 XJ's isn't so much a "problem", but how the car functions. The car has a feature built into it called "START/STOP". In short, if you are riding around in downtown NYC lets say, when you come to a stop light, after about 10 seconds, the engine will turn off (all electrical still continues to run) and then when you let off of the brake, the engine will restart and allow the car to move again. Now, think about how often you might be in a stop an go situation. some people find this starting and stopping annoying. If you are thinking that you are going to just defeat it, I will guarantee that the dealership will not be able to help you and you won't be able to sell the car with whatever mod is installed as the car was designed with this feature to save gas in stop and go traffic.

As for suspension issues, the car uses a fairly robust suspension setup with only fancy shocks. So, the need for special suspension work should be kept to a minimum. As for other issues, not many out there as the car is ranked one of the most reliable out there.

As for a warranty, that is a loaded question and is very situational. If you are doing long drives a lot (hence why you rack up lots of miles), then I would say skip the warranty and just put away a little more each month to cover any unexpected repairs. If you are doing a lot of stop and go, this is going to be harder on the car and getting the warranty may be a good idea.

On a side note, it seems like your job requires you to put on a good show. If you are transporting clients around, you will want to get the XJL. 2 reasons behind this. The bigger thing is the L version is 6" long and all 6 inches is in the rear leg room. So, the client will be in more comfort, even if you have your seat all the way back. The other thing is the L version can come with airline trays built into the back of the front seats. May be nice for them if they need to do something and need a place to set their laptop. Granted, there are also some features that only come with the L version (reclining seats, massage seats) that may be something worthwhile to have if you want to really make an impression.
I dno if that will bug me or not. If anything it'll help save gas. Lol a big expense. I think I will go with a warranty. I checked out a few 3rd party warranties. Most of the ones I'm looking at are not in the jag dealerships In just worried about if it's a problematic car and cost me time and money to repair. That's why I'm staying away from the s class Benz and leaning forward the e class. But this jag is sexy

Old 07-18-2016, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 413 Posts

My secondary battery lost a cell and only develops 10 volts as a result my stop start is no longer functioning and I don't get any error except on long trips of over 2 hours and then the eco off lamp illuminates until the next start and then no lamp warning and no stop/start and I like it that way. So I opted not to replace that $300 modified motorcycle battery.