XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

X351 Supersport water damage

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 10:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post X351 Supersport water damage

So I got myself a new project - a flooded XJ.
First issue I had was getting to the trunk, then I was assessing the damage - mostly the right side of the car was wet.
That brings me to my issue:
There is a fuse under the carpet called littlelfuse Megafuse - a bit confusing.
To me that seems to be the positive cable.
Does anyone know what is the part number for that cable?
Also I am a bit confused - there is a very similar fuse locate in the front .
Has anyone relocated the fuse before? or was this done on purpose?

Old 11-21-2017, 08:47 AM
Received 225 Likes on 144 Posts

Have a look here for the electrical manual - it should help https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...11-xjl-186137/ The owners manual also gives the fuse box details.

You can search dealer parts websites for part numbers try https://www.jaguarlandroverrenoparts.com/

Is that salt or fresh water damage?

The following users liked this post:
florenm (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 10:35 AM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

Besides all that electrical or the engine or transmission or rear end getting water in it, don't forget the wheel bearings. A flood car really turns into a complete restoration project. Easier for you because all the parts are available. Get an interior out of a junk yard from a total and as many parts as you can. I found an interior for my Corvette for $1000. Carpets and complete seats, door panels and all from a 20,000 mile total. It's still going to cost you almost as much as buying a good used one though. At least in labor as well as money.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by hafren
Is that salt or fresh water damage?
Thank you for the reply!
It is fresh water - I got lucky - it was motly under the carpet on the right side(more at the front)
However, at the first look, I got really scared - the red thing on the floor is actually mudd/clay - a very fine layer.
I found out when I tried cleaning it. It was cleaning suspiciously easy with Windex. the only place where is actual rust is around that decomposed fuse.
To me it looks like electricity+water accelerated the corrosion a lot. It basically ate the whole positive lug along with the nut.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How’s your progress on the restoration? Did you ever get it started?

Old 02-13-2018, 11:58 AM
Smile Progress

It's alive!
So I checked and cleaned under the seats, there was some rust but electronically everything was fine
I Used a lot of alcohol CRC cleaner and Paper towels and a ceramic room heater since it was cold as hell during this time.
I had to cut the tip of the wire and install a new copper lug(I checked the section and the copper was still shiny)
The cable was long enough to reach the junction fuse even after the cutting.
To make sure I get really good contact I used wire glue on the crimping section.
I ended up buying a crazy hydraulic crimping tool for the job.
Just in case someone else might have a complete electrical failure here is how you open the boot the easy way:
(If the junction box is dead like mine - there is no other way) :

After this it still didn't want to crank - I could hear the relays click but no dice ...
So I went and used a power-probe type device to check the starter ... it turns out it was jammed took it off and disassembled it.
That made the car start - however the starter was still kinda flaky so I ended up replacing it.
Now the relays - I looked many places and I could not find the exact layout so I figured just place all 3 there.
The computer didn't give me any clues but one of them made the rear suspension lift
This is the cat idling :

Attached Thumbnails X351 Supersport water damage-img_1580.jpg   X351 Supersport water damage-img_1581.jpg   X351 Supersport water damage-img_1591.png   X351 Supersport water damage-img_1596.jpg   X351 Supersport water damage-img_20171025_150155.jpg  

X351 Supersport water damage-img_1589.jpg   X351 Supersport water damage-img_1588.jpg   X351 Supersport water damage-img_20171025_163452.jpg  

Last edited by florenm; 02-13-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Panthro (02-14-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 03:22 PM
Received 225 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by florenm
It's alive!

I had to cut the tip of the wire and install a new copper lug(I checked the section and the copper was still shiny)
Any information on where you sourced a copper lug like that?

Old 02-19-2018, 09:33 AM

This are the lugs: https://goo.gl/YR8Bfk
Your local AutoZone might have them
And this is the crimper: https://goo.gl/fT9LMe
I also used one of these river pliers: https://goo.gl/w9q7eq - I did have some big head rivets sitting around - the ones in the kit are not wide enough

hafren (02-21-2018)