XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009
View Poll Results: Does this brake proceedure help you do your own wrok?
Yes it helps me with my Jaguar. It's too hard. I'll take it to the shop.
0%
Yes it helps me with My Jaguar. I feel I can do this myself.
100.00%
I don't understand the proceedure. It's not detailed enough.
0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

2004 XJ Vanden Plas Total Brake Service. HOW TO

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Received 308 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Not experienced with XJR

From previous posts, I believe that the rear Brembo calipers are conventional and are changed just like the front. Regarding the electric parking brake, since it is used when the vehicle is generally stopped it would appear that it must have been dragging to wear it out. After replacing the pads I would suggest you review the emergency brake calibration procedure for the XJ VDP or start a new XJR thread regarding that subject.

The following users liked this post:
blindboy (02-21-2013)
Old 10-20-2012, 07:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've already put this in my favorites, so when it comes time, I'll have more great info.

Thanks !

Old 10-21-2012, 03:31 AM
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chadmc5c
Nice job on the brake replacement post. Thank you. Very easy to understand and follow.
Whenever I do disc brakes I usuallu put a hose on the bleed nipple and open it before I retract the caliper pistons. This allows the old (nasty) brake fluid to be expelled out of the caliper instead of being pushed back up into the system. Then when done I use one of the brake fluids that is a different color so I can see when all the old stuff is flushed out. I usually flush the brake system on all my nice cars at least every 24 months. The colored fluid I get from Pelican Parts.
Thanks again for the write up. You did a nice job on it.
Chad
I use that method also. A habit I probably picked up on a previous XJ40 where pushing old fluid back through the system was an absolute no-no.

Julian.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:47 AM
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

For those in the UK, I use this adapter (along with its associated rewind tool).

Laser Tools 4342 Brake Piston Rewind Adaptor No 18

It's not an exact fit, but works very well. I found it after measuring the dimensions of the holes in the caliper piston and then talking to their technical staff to find the closest match.

Julian.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your posting efforts. It saved me quite a bit of hassle this morning.

edobernig (11-09-2012)
Old 12-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Banned
Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by edobernig
Rotating a c-clamp clockwise to compress while rotating the piston counter clockwise to retract under tension is complicated and difficult:
A man has to know his limits. Depends on your skill and mechanical ability!

Old 12-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am changing rotors and pads for my 2004 XJR. I did alot of research. Bottomline its not hard but have the proper tools. Front brembo brake calipers use 18mm socket for caliber bolts to get to the rotors. BUT a 11/16 Socket fits just right if the bolts heads are not damaged. I installed Ceramic Pads. About to start on the read brembo nows. Will post results. Oh yes lift the entire vehicle on stands. Break the rim bolts BEFORE you lift the vehicle,, especially the front

Old 02-10-2013, 07:12 PM

like the sprayed red calipers- nice !

Old 02-21-2013, 08:06 PM

much help on 2008 xjl thanks

Old 03-28-2013, 01:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default kenxjr

Can I use this procedure on a 2006 XJR?

PigletJohn (07-05-2013)
Old 09-20-2013, 12:08 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Brake pad glue? 2009 VDP

Well I have had the Powerstop ceramic pads installed for a month now and very pleased. No dust whatsoever ans smooth gripping.

Problem is, the front wheel pads do not come with hardware (clips to keep the outside pads from clattering). I called Powerstop and they're sending me the 'optional clips'.

I was wondering if you folks still use pad glue and is it advisable if the clips they send don't work.

Thanks all

Old 09-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Default XJR has Brembo calipers

Originally Posted by kenxjr
Can I use this procedure on a 2006 XJR?
The front would be very similar. The rears I believe do not have the integrated parking brake style caliper which may make it easier. The piston would push straight back into the bore instead of being rotated.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:46 PM
JRP
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Just did my 06 XJR last weekend, it definitely has the electronic parking brake in the rear. Not sure what year Jag switched, but in 06 the XJR did not have Brembo on either front or rears. While doing the job, I cleaned and painted the calipers Black. TO replicate the "R" which was painted over I ordered a Red/Green/Chrome set of "R" made for the XFR trunk and placed on each caliper. Looks fantastic and really finished off the black calipers.

Make sure to rent the brake caliper tool from Autozone or O'Reily for the rear. It's very simple, but you can't do it without it. Also learned a new trick by using two bolts, washers and nuts on the eyelits after the calipers are removed to get the rotors off. Insert the bolt through the eyelit on the inside of the car (top and bottom), place two washers and then a nut on the inside. Tighten the top and bottom bolt while holding a wrench on the nut and the rotor will pop right off. Only way to do it! This made getting the old rotors off a 5 minute process vs. using a hammer and heat and possibly damaging something.

edobernig (09-23-2013)
Old 09-23-2013, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by JRP
Just did my 06 XJR last weekend, it definitely has the electronic parking brake in the rear. Not sure what year Jag switched, but in 06 the XJR did not have Brembo on either front or rears.

Make sure to rent the brake caliper tool from Autozone or O'Reily for the rear. It's very simple, but you can't do it without it. Also learned a new trick by using two bolts, washers and nuts on the eyelits after the calipers are removed to get the rotors off. Insert the bolt through the eyelit on the inside of the car (top and bottom), place two washers and then a nut on the inside. Tighten the top and bottom bolt while holding a wrench on the nut and the rotor will pop right off. Only way to do it! This made getting the old rotors off a 5 minute process vs. using a hammer and heat and possibly damaging something.
Great suggestion, should have took a picture. What eyelets are you referring to/located where? I used my brass hammer. If anyone knows what model year the XJR went to Brembo's all around that would also be helpful.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:13 AM
JRP
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Correct, I was thinking I should have taken a picture! The "eyelits" I am referring to are essentially the mounting bracket I believe part of the spindle that the calipers bolt up to/attach to. Using a bolt/nuts and washer from the local auto store in the top and bottom make the process of getting stuck rotors off extremely easy and eliminate the possibility of a hammer accidentally hitting something else like a lug etc.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:35 AM
Default Rear rotor sizes

Thanks for the write-up. On my 2006 XJ8 (H00754) the rear pads are the same part, but the calipers are 326mm in diameter. I don't know when the change was made, but if you order a 2006 rear rotor on Amazon or Rock Auto, it will give you the smaller rotors. If you ask for the 2007 rear rotor, you will get the correct 326mm rotor. So measure the existing diameter before you order.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:10 AM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bmbxj8
Thanks for the write-up. On my 2006 XJ8 (H00754) the rear pads are the same part, but the calipers are 326mm in diameter. I don't know when the change was made, but if you order a 2006 rear rotor on Amazon or Rock Auto, it will give you the smaller rotors. If you ask for the 2007 rear rotor, you will get the correct 326mm rotor. So measure the existing diameter before you order.
I wonder if the 07' rear rotors would fit on an 05'? and would the calipers work with it?

Old 11-26-2013, 08:25 PM

No, I don't think the larger rotor will work on earlier cars. The caliper and pads appear to be the same, so it appears that either the caliper bracket (part that bolts to the car) or the bracket bolt position on the car was altered to move the caliper and pads out further (from the center of the hub) to accommodate the larger diameter rotor. If it is just the bracket, a bracket from a later car would accommodate the larger rotor with your existing caliper. If the location of the mounting points for the bracket on the car have been changed, well, you would need to change the hub carrier, which is hardly worth the trouble.

Last edited by bmbxj8; 11-26-2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-31-2014, 03:35 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Do the expensive, high-performance brakes let you stop faster, in a shorter distance? I'd pay a lot for that.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:17 AM
Default High Performance Pads

Xeno, good question, difficult answer. From my experience doing track days, the high performance pads are mainly used to prevent brake fade after repeated high speed stops (140mph down to 35mph at the end of a long straight is like nothing you will ever experience on the highway). But yes, a set of Hawk HP pads will definitely shorten your street braking distances somewhat, but at the expense of shorter rotor life, more dust, and more noise. Ceramic pads have less dust and noise, but do not improve braking performance. I had a Mazda RX8 I took to the track. I changed the pads just for the track and went back to my standard pads because the squealing of the track pads in normal driving was so annoying. On my XJ8 the Wagner Quickstop pads I put on do not make any perceivable squealing, but I am sure they stop a bit better than Wagner Thermoquiet, which are made to be, well quieter, with what I suspect is some compromise in friction. So, more friction and fade resistance = more noise, dust, and shorter rotor life. The original equipment is supposed to be an ideal compromise, but I am sure in a car like the XJ8 the compromise is skewed to lower noise, while in an F-type, closer to friction and fade resistance at the cost of greater noise, dust, and rotor wear. I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 2004 XJ Vanden Plas Total Brake Service. HOW TO