XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2005 XJ8L - new front pads and rotors - now makes grinding noise when stopping??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 06:13 PM
Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Default 2005 XJ8L - new front pads and rotors - now makes grinding noise when stopping??

Hi there - so, i felt it was time to treat the 'bile to a new set of pads and rotors for the front - old ones were pretty worn out and it was getting a little weak. So I ordered the replacements from RockAuto, which are correct according to their application chart -

BENDIX MKD1065IQ {#C2C20686, C2C23786, XR837417} (Daily Driver) Premium Semi-Metallic pads

and

PAGID 355122872 (Premium (OE Quality + Added Features)) High Carbon Coated rotors.

And of course I did check my VIN as there are some differences.

The whole thing could not have been easier, certainly no mysteries there.

But...

so now under braking pressure of more than moderate pressure, there is a grinding/pulsating noise. I got everything back in just right, and all bolts tightened. Similar to what you'd get if the rotors or pads were worn or warped.

It has improved a little after maybe 10 miles, leading me to wonder if maybe it needs to bed in - no procedure was provided.

There wasn't any sort of spring that you sometimes see (the anti-rattle thingy) on the new pads but there was one on the old ones - but it was integral, ie I couldn't remove it. I assumed that the new ones should account for that in their own way if they are listed as compatible.

Before I tear it apart again, has anyone run into this before? could I have pushed the calipers in too much? I used the old pad and a c-clamp and very slowly pushed them in until they were more or less flush (so I could get them over the much-thicker replacement pads).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

adam

Old 09-18-2017, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

I'd go easy on them for the first few hundred miles. Give it a week and see if it goes away.

The following users liked this post:
ayavner (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 01:14 PM
Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

So I took it all apart again, double checked everything then put it all back together again. I didn't see anything out of place, though the right wheel was a bit easier to take off than I'd have expected... so perhaps I just hadn't tightened it well enough... anyway, did all that then took it out to go thru this Bedding In Brake Rotors

and now as far as I can tell, everything is great - firmer and no noise. I'll keep an eye on it, but we can probably mark this one as "solved" - though not sure what I did to solve it - perhaps I was in a better frame of mind this time.

Thanks!