XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air suspension fault

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jag_genius
yeah it will save a code.. C2302 plausibility fault under air suspension.. it can need a relay #4 under the hood in the fuse box p/side or may need a compressor.. which is very common.
I have this fault on a car at present, I've checked the compressor (times out in under 2 mins), changed the relay, block in the boot for the pipes, no air leaks, re calibrated the suspension, and changed the control module, any thoughts on what else it could be bearing in mind ive not changed any of the height sensors, but it's the same code time and time again C2302 Levelling plausibility error. If I stop the car and turn it off then on again the light goes out, but a short drive and it comes back on again...

Old 03-04-2012, 04:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Compressor run time is 2 mins max for therman protection. If the reservoir is not charged to the correct pressure in that time due to compressor seal wear, then you get the fault code. Essentially, from what you describe, the compressor's time is up, and its time to replace it; they don't really last all that long, mainly due to seal wear, hence service exchange ones are available from Jaguar, or there are plenty around on the internet. Price (UK) around £250-300

Old 03-04-2012, 05:06 AM

I would've thought that code would've been something to do with the height sensors, but it won't hurt to try a compressor, I've been trying to fix this for the last 2 weeks and haven't got anywhere with it!

Old 03-04-2012, 07:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all ,I ve got today after reading the thread, same message!! "Vehicle too low" alternating with message " Air suspension fault" Car was driving immediatly hard, as without suspension, and when i checked car was indeed much lower, little distance between wings and tires. I drove direct to Jaguar, and left car there now for checking.Will know by tomorrow they said. Will keep you posted.Any guesses? I have to say that after 3-4 minutes driving message disappeared, and car came up again, as usual.Still should be checked, message doesn't come without reason, and car gets lower.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:55 AM

Although mine gets the fault and rises up to its maximum and goes rock solid

Old 03-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same issue with my 2005 XJ8L. On cold days, I get the "air suspension fault" if I try to drive while the engine is still cold. However, if I let the car warm up to operating temperature, I do not get the warning. If I don't have time to let the car warm up and I have to drive in town for a while, I keep the transmission in a low gear (typically 2nd) and drive under 30 until the engine warms. This usually prevents the code from appearing. Its not a fix, but it keeps the irritating code from appearing. I can't wait for warmer weather!

Old 03-06-2012, 05:54 AM

Hi all,
As promised, the update. They checked everything related to suspension (electric, compressor, pipes etc,) nothing. So they let car 24 hours standing and checked then the height again, and found that right front airspring is the problem.(Internal leakage he said).
Part not available ,comes from Uk in 10 days. Costs $1685 the airspring,plus labour $ 150.

Cheers

Old 03-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

Try ebay for the units, I know these are in Europe but it may give you an idea on possible savings. A couple of years ago my main dealer got me mine for about £500 with discount.

JAGUAR XJ OR XJ350 FRONT AIR SPRING DAMPER SPORTS C2C41352 | eBay

Jaguar XJ - Air Spring Air Strut - front or rear / sport or comfort suspension | eBay

Old 03-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts
Old 03-08-2012, 06:24 AM

Thanks gyes, but those links are all rebuilt, or remanufuctured springs. I really do not put such parts on my car, only original, and thats what i advice everyone. Exept that, an airspring must be used maximum 6 months after manufucturing in Germany.After 6 months is no any fitting to advice. So no one knows when those shockers were built. It is clearly written on the manufucturing package and instructions, to be used max 6 months after the date of manufucturing. Thanks anyway, will stick to original, even if its so expensive.I allready changed last year both rear shockers also original.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Default Air Suspension Fault/Vehicle too Low

I had this problem on cold days last year. I don't know how much this well help but I took it to the Manhatten Jag dealer and they told me it was a broken shock. They charged my $1,100 and I haven't had a problem since. I'm not very well versed in automobile mechanics but whatever they did it's fixed, although I hope I wasn't ripped off....

Attached Thumbnails  Air suspension fault-jag.jpg  
Old 05-09-2012, 08:19 PM

hey my left shock has a hissing sound at times when i shut the car off..my air suspension light is on as well and overnight...it does go down a bit..do i need to replace my shock? or should i check the relay? when driving though, the compressor does fill the shocks..but seems too much..stiff ride.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:57 AM

Had the same problem and put up with it for about 18 months. The Air suspension fault would come on mostly when I drove off straight away, however if I gave the compressor time to finish its cycle before moving then for some reason it rarely displayed the fault notice..... then one day bit the bullet and bought a new compressor.
This may not be your problem... could be a leak or relay or who knows what, I am not a mechanic but it sounds familiar.
Hope you are just have a one off event ...
Good Luck

Originally Posted by datekho
Here's an errorthat just happened to me (2004 XJ8)...

Put key in ignition and started the car. After everything settles down, a message in the Message Center says "Air suspension fault". Naturally, I start to become anxious, but drive home anyway since it's Friday night and my dealer is closed so there isn't much I can do.

On the drive home, "Air suspension fault" remains on the Message Center. The ride feels a bit more rough (but don't know if it was just all in my head).

Get home and park in garage. Then I just leave it alone for about 3 hours.
After 3 hours, I decide to start the car again for no reason at all (just to see if the message is still there). But the message has cleared! Seems that everything is fine. Take it for a short drive around the block and everything seems normal. Get back home and park it in the garage again.

So what do I do?

Is it possible that the problem has "healed itself"? Or maybe the error was just a random event?

If I go and have the dealer check it out, would the tech believe my story? (Is there a history of error messages "saved" somewhere in memory so that a tech would know the error really did display?) Should I even bother to have it looked at? Or just keep driving it until it happens again? (Is it safe to drive with the "air suspension fault" message appearing?)

David

Old 05-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

hey my left shock has a hissing sound at times when i shut the car off
OK, you do have a fault displayed, but this is normal action to purge the water trap in the compressor situated behind the front bumper on the left-hand side, so can appear to be coming from the shock.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

If behind the left fog light then yes the air compressor is venting. But if its the shock its leaking. If you move the car up and down on this side many times you can hit the spot its leaking at and hear the hiss. Of use a jack to jack the car up//down

Old 05-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Default New XJ8 Owner

New Jag owner, 2004 XJ8 with 44K miles. Love the car and everything seems to work perfect, but!!! Occasionally I will also get the Air Suspension Fault warning. seems to be somewhat temperature dependent as in more often in cold weather. Always goes off after the car sits for awhile. I can hear the air compressor bleed when I leave the car, in the left front area. Car always sits and drives the same (No noticable lowering or harsh ride) with or without the fault. I actually have measured the fender clearence a few times to be sure. Any Ideas.

Oh, by the way, this forum is fantastic, one of the beswt I have been a part of.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member

Getting an AS system fault in cold weather is usually the start of the compressor failing. It goes on for a long time once it gets a bit dodgy, i.e. no sudden failure, but eventually you will need a replacement. The fault code will confirm this, (or maybe not !!).

Old 05-12-2012, 06:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Time until AS compressor failure

I've been getting a AS system fault error message for two winters now. Sometimes during this past winter, I would get the message when the temperature was as warm as 40F. Does anyone have an idea about how long, on average, the compressor will last in terms of vehicle age, total vehicle miles, or time since the AS system fault first apprears? I feel like I am running on borrowed time.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Compressor quality

Has anyone tried or considered an update to the Jag / Wabco compressor? Example - -

Viair 380C Pewter Dual Compressor - 38002 by Viair

Old 05-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member

OK, well here are the British prices, (from an internet supplier, not Jaguar agents). New units, not remanufactured.although they are selling used ones too.

Jaguar X350 Parts | Jaguar X350 Shock Absorbers & Springs | JustJagsUK.com

£674 = $1008

Not cheap, but not $1680 ! Note also the recommended price is the same so I do wonder who is charging such a high price in the UK.

Quick Reply: Air suspension fault