Battery needed to be replaced
0%
Other?
7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Air suspension, most common failure?

Old 01-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air suspension, most common failure?

In case you can't tell, the only thing keeping me from committing to an XJ8 is the air suspension.

So I wanted to poll you folks that have had an issue with the air suspension. Please advise year, miles, and cost involved if you would be so kind.

in other words, ease my so I buy one of these great cars rather than a lexus.....

TIA

Old 01-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Default RE: Air suspension, most common failure?

FWIW, the Lexus LSs are also optionally equipped with air suspension. You can visit clublexus.com for more details on failure rates. I owned a '98 LS400 years ago with the air suspension package and it promptly failed at 100k miles.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:54 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Go with the Lexus and you won't have to worry about it.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

I've replaced many compressors and only a few air springs. The springs were usually replaced for clunks on bumps not leaks. I usually replace the relay with the compressor due to possible overheating of the relay contacts when a failing compressor is either running too long or drawing too many amps. I've only seen a couple of actual leaks and always at the hose connection to the spring, very rare.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:59 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Real_Tech,

I don't know JACK about CATS. But recent threads point out problems more evident when ambient temperatures are below freezing. Is there a dessicant in the system, and if not, would it be feasable to install some sort of drier or water trap to eliminate the possibility of icing?

Old 01-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

hmmm I voted compressor too a couple days ago and tried to view results of votes, there are NO votes.....POLL FAIL!!!!
anyway you can get no better answer on that the from techs. compressors by far.....and there are easy ways to diag leaks and you dont need ids or wds to do them and they work every time

Old 01-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

BRUTAL,

I know you don't see the cold weather issues, but can you shed any light on my question?

Old 01-21-2009, 05:02 AM

There is an inlet air filter about the size and shape of a generic white plastic fuel filter(2" diameter x 4" length 3/8" hose connections)but it does not contain a dessicant. The compressor draws inlet air from behind the front bumper cover through the filter and into compressor. There is plenty of room for a bigger filter and I suppose you could add a dessicant but I would wonder about the life expectancy of the dessicant itself. It would be like putting a dessicant on your shop air compressor, it wont last long. The engineers should have put a drying system in in the first place but then the bean counters got a hold of the plans and that was the end of that. Jaguar is rebuilding these compressors now so the price has come down a lot but I still wouldn't call them cheap enough where you could stash a spare in the garage. The plausibility fault code C2302? is set simply by a timer program. As the compressor ages and gets weaker it takes longer and longer for it to build pressure and level the suspension. After the compressor runs for a certain amount of time the height is checked by the module and if it hasn't reached proper ride height the code is set. The combination of weakening compressor and cold inlet air just makes the problem worse. I am surprised jaguar hasn't come out with a reflash for the suspension module that extends run time before self testing by 15 seconds. That would probably eliminate at least 50% of the failures or at leas push them back another 15k miles. Not that that's a fix but it would certainly save jaguar a lot in warranty repairs. Almost none of the cars I've put compressors onactually had a ride height problem, just the code and message.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:24 AM

So, can a DiYer can put a compressor in fairly easily without taking it to the dealer? I read elsewhere that they are only around $3-400usd rebuilt from Jag?

Old 01-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

well JT REAL TECH GOT THAT FOR YOU, BUT THE SPEC ON THE FAULT IS 3 MINUTES AND MUST REACH 14 BAR. NOT RIDE HEIGHT. TO CHECK FOR LEAKS IF YOU UNPLUG THE ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR ON THE VALVE BLOCK BELOW THE SPARE THE MODULE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ADD AIR OVERNIGHT AND YOULL HAVE A CORNER DROP ON THE BAD SPRING, AND YES MOST LIKELY IS ALWAYS THE SPRING. I HAVE ONLY HEARD OF 1 LINE LK FROM CHAFFING AND THE CAR HAD BEEN IN AN ACCIDENT. SO THAT SHOULD HANDLE THE NEXT QUESTION. AND YES A DIYER CAN DO IT THEMSELVES I KNOW ITS ALREADY BEEN DONE HERE

Old 01-21-2009, 09:24 AM

Real tech - in your experience has the SE warranty been successfully used to cover the work involved for the compressor? I know SE is not applicable to air shocks/springs.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Sorry Jaglover, the poles do not work on this site. I have never had a suspension problem.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:24 PM

not my poll

Old 01-21-2009, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I just ordered a rebuilt compressor and the price will end up about $475, if I had gotten it in October when I first thought of doing it, it would have been about $280, the price has gone up fast, not down. I plan to install it myself in the driveway, probably take acouple hours since getting to it takes more time than changing it for me.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:50 AM

Thanks for getting my back BRUTAL I was winging that from memory. There is either a service bulletin or SSM that details the testing of the compressor by timing run time in an alotted amount of time. I did this the first couple of times but after 99.9% of the compressors were the problem we just started putting compressors on unless there was some ride height problem.

Select edition covers the compressor no problem. I have yet to see a spring/shock covered by select even after cals from disgruntled customers.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:20 PM

So it's been a few years and now I find myself in a position of car shopping again, for either wifey or kiddo.... after a dig through the want ads I found a really nice S-type (no air springs) that I'll probably go look at, but me being me, I'm brought back to the XJ8. How I still covet thee, but the air suspension, that damn that air suspension

Living in a high humidity summer, a humid below freezing winter geographical hell, would I be a fool to think air suspenders wouldn't make me go mad and broke? What is the failure rate? Have repair parts come down any?

Thanks for entertaining me again

Old 09-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

At 74000, lost one strut, front rightright. $400 from arnott. I did my own labor. At about 83000, i lost left rear air strut, two leveling sensors, and the compressor. I converted. $1200 from Arnott for a coilover conversion kit. Again, i performed my own labor. This suspension is very easy to work on with the proper tools and good knowledge of mechanics.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:54 PM

So there is finally a coilover kit? I don't think that was an option when I started looking.... this is a game changer for me, as outside of the suspension, the parking brake fiasco, and the TPS, I can't find another 'real' issue for this car (please advise if there is something else I should look into/at).

I must have one. I was in my sports car phase when the Merc W140 was out and I missed out on the first great sedan of my generation, I should hate to miss out on this one, as, no offence to any current owners, the new XJ looks not-so-jag-like to me and does nothing to tickle the base of my ***** (description of sensation ripped from James May.... not physically mind you).

Question: I've in the past replaced suspension bits from arms to shocks and springs on 'normal' autos (the tools I have, though they collect dust) is there anything particularly difficult about an air to coil conversion?

Many many thanks!

Old 09-07-2012, 07:07 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,005 Likes on 713 Posts

Based on the theme of this thread, I consider myself quite fortunate.
Sure, I have replaced the struts... But I don't recall ever replacing the compressor.
There's 200,000km on my car. And I drive it in -40 to 35 Celsius.

I have done some research and 'supposedly' found higher quality compressors on the market. But I do like the air suspension on my XJR, even more now that its lowered 5mm on the front and 7mm on the rear.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by silly_me
So there is finally a coilover kit? I don't think that was an option when I started looking.... this is a game changer for me, as outside of the suspension, the parking brake fiasco, and the TPS, I can't find another 'real' issue for this car (please advise if there is something else I should look into/at).

I must have one. I was in my sports car phase when the Merc W140 was out and I missed out on the first great sedan of my generation, I should hate to miss out on this one, as, no offence to any current owners, the new XJ looks not-so-jag-like to me and does nothing to tickle the base of my ***** (description of sensation ripped from James May.... not physically mind you).

Question: I've in the past replaced suspension bits from arms to shocks and springs on 'normal' autos (the tools I have, though they collect dust) is there anything particularly difficult about an air to coil conversion?

Many many thanks!
I found it to be a very simple job. It took some time, about three hours. I think the most difficult part is just forcing the lower arm into place on all for corners. There its a good bit of tension on them. Also, mind that there may be some residual pressure in the air struts, so careful when disconnection the lines. Removing the air struts its near effortless when all the air has bled out. You can pretty easily manipulate the strut up and down which helps with clearing the wheel well when removing. The kit comes with pretty thorough instructions, but they are just explain removal and say installation is opposite. So, you have to work backwards, or just wing it as I did. All in all, with the right tools, especially pneumatic tools; (an impact gun & air ratchet), torx bits, jack stands, pry bar, a good mechanics set, and whatever else ya figure you will need, it is a very easy job. It will also same THOUSANDS. Of coarse, the Colliers have there differences in performance over the air, but the ride is near the same. You only really lose the the adjustable characteristics of the air suspension. Arnott does note have there own "new" air struts. A whole set is less than for new oem struts. As long as the other components of the air suspension its still good, they may be a good route as well. If you ever end up working on your suspension, any troubles, get at me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air suspension, most common failure?