XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

alternative h7 lighting

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 10:49 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default alternative h7 lighting

After a weird headlights (2) burnout with one side melting connector and bulb i decided to go with high output Evo Alfas ordered from Walmart. At under 14 bucks, quite a deal, right? Well, first off, they're a chore to sneak past the wire retainer as these bulbs come with an attached tether, the purpose of which isolates the factory harness from the bulbs' considerable heat. So after bending the tether close, was able to snap that wire clip home, plug the tether into the harness, do a quick test, then reassemble the lamp assembly back cover, a rather poor design for the dipped (outside) beams. It's just a pain with no room to spare.

The result? An 85W consumption, claimed 120W output, noticeably whiter than stock, longer thrown beam, road signs and road markers really stand out, feels safer, but lenses are hotter, very warm to the touch, but no ill effects after several weeks. Since they're cheap, i bought another set, plus 55W Sylvanias made in Poland of all places. These are Chinese w filaments from Finland, all as spares, and the other Evos are maybe going into the brights (mains).

So a burnout has led to an improvement I feel. Comes with a decal as well, which i put on a side window. Taken as a whole, this car is a true diamond in the rough, with sparklers to match. It's an '04 model, all aluminum, all the time, with air cushioning and conditioning. Quite a feat of engineering, don't you think?

Old 09-07-2017, 06:41 AM
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Burnout

I would determine why the original connector burnt out.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Dan R
I would determine why the original connector burnt out.
The internal wiring inside the cheap h7 fused together without setting off the 20 amp fuse. Quite a meltdown, with the factory angle connector needing replacement. Note to self: never ever use no name halogens. Incidentally, Eros rated @ 800 hours life, which should be at least a few months.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:06 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 416 Posts

Evo Alfas are NOT DOT approved for on-road usage. You can be ticketed. Just sayin'

Old 09-07-2017, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Box
Evo Alfas are NOT DOT approved for on-road usage. You can be ticketed. Just sayin'
Fat chance, just sayin.' I'd rather see where i'm going, just sayin.' These are indescernable from HID lights.