XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Another aux input option - anyone tried?

Old 12-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Another aux input option - anyone tried?

I've been looking over options to add an aux input to my car for mp3 use and came across this:

TranzIt USB IS32 - Universal Car Integration Kit for Smartphones, MP3 Players

Looks like the easiest solution - it uses the radio antenna lead on the back of the radio head unit to deliver audio. Looks simple and effective, but my only concern is that the audio quality might be radio-quality rather than CD quality... but I could be wrong. Anyone have any experience with this product?

The following 2 users liked this post by Anticitizen:
BadinJezebel (12-06-2011), SuperTrav (12-05-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

My Sirius radio is using an FM Modulator plugged into the antenna line.. Sounds great.. I cant imagine this being any different.

The following users liked this post:
Anticitizen (12-05-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Thank you very much for posting this. I will be ordering it mid-month.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:04 AM

Thanks. I have ordered it, as well as a Blackberry bluetooth stereo gateway (compatible with any bluetooth audio device, not just Blackberries:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i01_details

I plan on getting the Kuda mount, too. My plan is to have all wires hidden. If everything goes according to plan, I should be able to drop my phone in the mount and play all music wirelessly via Bluetooth. I will post photos of everything with a report once I perform the installation.

The following users liked this post:
SuperTrav (12-05-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Excellent. I'm looking forward to your review and feedback. This looks like a great idea. I'd especially like to hear your thoughts on the audio quality.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bluetooth devices I've used in the past sound awful - very degraded. I ended up reverting to plugging in. I'm an audio snob, so your results may vary.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:33 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have hard-wired sirius with 3.5mm aux. cables in 2 vehicles...my 04 XJ8 and my 05 Ford F150. The sirus direct connect with the 3.5mm cables is a great way to add both sirius radio and Ipod/smartphone connection. The Jag input is through the antenna and the F150 is through an aux. port on the back of the radio. No comparison. The F150 is CD quality and the Jag sounds like radio.

Weren't many options when looking for a connection to the Jag Alpine unit, so the antenna route was acceptable, but sound quakity is certainly compromised. The Jag Audio Connectivity Module seems like the best way to go, but I didn't know it was available when I had mine installed.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:45 AM

I can live with radio quality, so long as it's not mono and staticky. The ACM is too pricey when all I need it for is the 3.5mm jack.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:48 AM

Thanks Anticitizen for the link. Please let us know how the installation went. I'm looking to do the same thing.

-James

Old 12-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Me too- really want to see how this works out.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:41 PM

Anyone have a link to a good photo or video guide to the disassembly of the stereo and trim?

Old 07-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Well I did it- Aux input installed.

Installed this kit from ISimple which just has the Iphone/Ipod cord (which is what I was after): iSimple TranzIt IS77 - Universal Car Kit - iPod, iPhone, iPad, Audio Devices ($48 delivered on ebay)
1. Remove rear center console vent assy (no screws-just pry out carefully with a plastic or rubber pry tool) and then disconnect the electrical connectors for htd seats and lighter (mine has no rear audio or ACC) and remove the 2 torx bolts behind it to unattach from console. I also removed the storage tray under the armrest which wasn't necessary.
2. Remove the black plastic trim piece and then wood trim around shifter. There are no screws here just clips and it pulls straight up. I was afraid of cracking the wood but turns out it is backed with metal.
3. Remove 2 torx screws holding the side trim pieces to the console and then remove the 2 ashtray retaining screws (under small round covers).
4. Pull ENTIRE center console assembly (from the top piece that ends over the heated seat/hazard switches) all the way to the rear vent that you removed earlier STRAIGHT BACK. Then remove ashtray assy.
5. Remove the 2 screws that hold the metal bracket that holds the audio and climate control units and pull forward to gain access. Connect the unit per directions. ***You will need 2 antenna adapters (a 40-EU20 and a 40-EU10) that I got at the local car audio place for $15 each***. There is plenty of room above the audio unit and behind the CC unit for the Isimple unit and wires. Set the gain on the unit to max (which is how it comes from the factory)
6. I ran the Ipod/Iphone cord through a groove I cut above the lighter in the plastic and mounted the power switch right in front of the lighter next to the ashtray itself. I used a Scotchlok to tap into the lighter power wire (white one I think) which was very convenient and is switched with the ignition.
7. Sound quality is better than expected and I can listen to my Ipod playlists, podcasts, or Pandora. I haven't used the CD or factory AM/FM since I installed it. I set my radio frequency to 87.9 and I occasionally get static if I drive through an area with an close frequency broadcasting. As an added bonus the phone charges as I use it.

Hope this helps someone who is considering a similar install...

The following 2 users liked this post by gbs28173:
josh_77073 (07-10-2012), NatRay (10-07-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 09:14 AM

I finally got around to doing this myself. The setup is sweet, but the audio quality stinks - there's a hiss in the background, some static at volume, and I can hear a whine that increases as I accelerate. I'm going to take it all apart again this weekend and try to separate the power lines from the audio cables and antenna leads - I had everything bundled together, tied for neatness... I think it's creating some interference.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

One might experiment with this: Jaguar Antenna Adapter FM Modulator Wire Set 2000 2008 | eBay

It is cost effective.

You may do one or all of the following to eliminate noise:
Add shielding to the adapter cables
Install an Ignition Noise Filter
Install a suppressor
Check the antenna ground
Add grounding to the adapter cables
Check all media grounds

Last edited by reyesl; 01-02-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts

Great, look forward to seeing your installation.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by reyesl
One might experiment with this: Jaguar Antenna Adapter FM Modulator Wire Set 2000 2008 | eBay

It is cost effective.

You may do one or all of the following to eliminate noise:
Add shielding to the adapter cables
Install an Ignition Noise Filter
Install a suppressor
Check the antenna ground
Add grounding to the adapter cables
Check all media grounds

Thanks for the advice... I will check all those things out.

So, here's some pictures and video! Sorry for the quality (and my rambling nature). I had to use my ancient cell phone to film this because my other phone was being used in the demo.

The whole setup consists of:

1) A Kuda mount, fitted with neodymium magnets scavenged from an old hard drive to allow me to magnetically stick my phone to the Kuda without any mounting brackets or whatnot - in conjunction with the magnetic Powermat case I use on my phone
2) iSimple FM modulator kit with antenna adapters
3) Blackberry stereo gateway connected to the modulator, hidden inside the Kuda mount, wirelessly connected to the phone

I found the easiest place to tap for power was off the rear cigarette lighter. Installation was a lot easier than I expected. I've had most of the parts to do this for over a year, but I was afraid I'd ruin something when trying to take the center console out. It's actually dead simple (thanks to gbs28173's simple instructions above).

The poorly lit video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55nYGjptUM4

The crappy photos!

Mount in action

Very strong neodymium magnet holds the phone in its place.

Mid-installation.

The Blackberry bluetooth stereo gateway, hidden in the Kuda mount.

The button that turns the FM modulator on and off.

Attached Thumbnails Another aux input option - anyone tried?-rrnd4.jpg   Another aux input option - anyone tried?-uh94q.jpg   Another aux input option - anyone tried?-4yurn.jpg   Another aux input option - anyone tried?-asduk.jpg   Another aux input option - anyone tried?-zrn8n.jpg  

Another aux input option - anyone tried?-bpbmx.jpg  
Old 01-02-2013, 07:27 PM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Your photos might have given me an idea on how to tap into the video cables. I have to replace my J-gate, so I might experiment with the video tie-in at the same time.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by reyesl
Your photos might have given me an idea on how to tap into the video cables. I have to replace my J-gate, so I might experiment with the video tie-in at the same time.
Color me interested...

Old 05-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Default Fm modulator Sat Nav model

Hello i installed one the jag xj8
Fallow the instruction to remove the center counsel.
2 remove radio need to put car in D to pull out.
remove Antenna input install adaptors shown in picture to RCA jack in and out route the wires i chose the right side method under the ash tray then side by plastic ac conduct to center counsel shown in the photos took 2 hrs. Also i took 12+ from cigarate lighter in the back the right one and grounded the - on one of the bolts that hold the gear selector it came a fuse link so did not mind the out put to jock is placed in the center counsel as seen in the photos. Hope this helps some one. Also did not come with but i put 2 tex T for added strength messure before u cut or drill that u have enough of a space between a the arm rest and the plug out put so it can close.

Attached Thumbnails Another aux input option - anyone tried?-imag0779.jpg   Another aux input option - anyone tried?-imag0776.jpg   Another aux input option - anyone tried?-imag0780.jpg   Another aux input option - anyone tried?-imag0774.jpg   Another aux input option - anyone tried?-imag0781.jpg  

Old 05-29-2013, 10:14 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

So how did all this end up for you? I bought my car with the sirus radio already wired in like this and the sound quality is not great at all. Is this our only option to get an AUX cable in? I have the nav system, if I fitted the phone part with it, could I BT audio as well?