XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Arnott Coil Conversion Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Also you dont have to have experience with something stupid to discourage people, like wouldn't you discourage people from doing heroine? Or coke? Lol I'm not saying coils are super bad and you shouldn't get them, it's just that if you are paying 1200 something for something you expect to see some proof that shows they are safe and reliable.

Last edited by JagMaster; 12-20-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm starting to envision XJ's bouncing and hopping at the lowrider shows now.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:47 PM
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperTrav
Brutal. There's hope after all. Thank you for shedding light. but to my additional point, that now that Arnott manufacturers new, not reman., air shocks that they claim surpass OE quality, why even bother converting?
I'm no expert, but just a sadly affected owner who has had air-shock problems for much of this past year... my reason would be just so that the air leak problems are solved once and for all..... From what I hear from my mechanic, many other luxury cars with air suspension also leak after a few years, some very consistently at around 3.5 years and this issue may just be a limitation of the technology. So even if the new Arnott's one is better than the original Bilsteins, it seems to be that sooner or later, it will leak and even if it doesn't cost to get a replacement shock from Arnott's, having to troubleshoot, install and recalibrate is a real hassle. For those of us not from the USA, the shipping costs for the shocks is almost 50-70% of the price of the shock itself, so even if the replacement from Arnotts is free, the shipping, sadly, is significant.

If I had a choice, I wouldn't get an air-shocked car again... but I like the Jag, much more than a Benz or a BM......

Old 12-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JagMaster
Also you dont have to have experience with something stupid to discourage people, like wouldn't you discourage people from doing heroine? Or coke? Lol I'm not saying coils are super bad and you shouldn't get them, it's just that if you are paying 1200 something for something you expect to see some proof that shows they are safe and reliable.
You are an idiot. Comparing drugs to coil springs? The best performance cars use coil suspension. See BMW, Mercedes, Audi... Air suspension has its place for a plush ride but that's about it. It's not considered "performance" by any means, expensive to repair and lacking durability.

The following users liked this post:
independentman (12-16-2019)
Old 12-22-2011, 05:21 AM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Also you dont have to have experience with something stupid to discourage people, like wouldn't you discourage people from doing heroine? Or coke? Lol I'm not saying coils are super bad and you shouldn't get em, it's just that if you are paying 1200 something for something you expect to see some proof that shows they are safe and reliable.
I hate air suspensions! I know several guys that converted Rovers, Cadillacs, Lincolns to coils without any issues with safety/performance. And if these conversions were dangerous I'm sure after decades we would all know... my brother had his Rover conrverted in 2000 and performed fine until he sold it 3yrs later.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 04XJ8
You are an idiot.
A little harsh, don't you think? Act like adults.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any feed back regarding the arnott coil spring replacement kit and that they only offer the one version and that it is intended for the R and the standard xj8.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm on an iPhone gosh, it was an autocorrect obviously. And I agree with SuperTrav why bother converting when you can have life time warranty air shocks? And he is also right about the behavior of coils versus CATS in an emergency, after all Jaguar engineers took a long while to develop and test CATS on our XJs.
For whose lifetme are these air shocks warranteed ? Anytime I see someone offering a lifetime warranty I become more than a little sceptical. Nothing lasts a lifetime and no ligitimate company offers a warranty for that long on anything unless they don't intend to honor the warranty. Just my 2 cents and not directed at you personally. Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,356 Posts

dadio, acrually they have warrantied their shocks and Ive returned them from not the original purchaser, and without paperwork. Their shocks are labeled and they just verify theyre indeed leaking and replace or repair them depnding on stock at the time. But yes youre still out the labor to replace them. But you should check out their new units on Ebay. Of course Im not a saleperson for them, I am just fair with info I know about.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gonna take another stab at this, don't think my original question was all that clear!

Arnott only offers one version of their coil over conversion to be used on both an XJ8 as well as XJR. Does anyone know or have any experience with the replacement and whether or not it is better suited to replace the comfort ride or the sport ride? I just can't get my brain around how it could work for both types of suspensions.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:28 AM
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by first jag
I'm gonna take another stab at this, don't think my original question was all that clear!

Arnott only offers one version of their coil over conversion to be used on both an XJ8 as well as XJR. Does anyone know or have any experience with the replacement and whether or not it is better suited to replace the comfort ride or the sport ride? I just can't get my brain around how it could work for both types of suspensions.
I'm not sure if Arnotts did optimise the coil overs for one type or another, after all I was told that Bilstein has stopped producing the shocks for the XJR earlier this year or last year and they only supply the ones for the comfort shocks now.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by klfong
I'm not sure if Arnotts did optimise the coil overs for one type or another, after all I was told that Bilstein has stopped producing the shocks for the XJR earlier this year or last year and they only supply the ones for the comfort shocks now.

I replaced the air shocks on my 2005 Jaguar XJR with the re-manufactured sport air shocks from Arnott. After three weeks, I am very pleased with the results. These shocks from Arnott have a slightly firmer feel and corner flatter than the original sport shocks, but that may be due to the fact that my OEM shocks were leaking air for a long time. The sport air shocks have a smaller air bladder than the comfort air shocks from Arnott. I went with the sport air shock because I wanted to maintain the sporting charactistics of the XJR.

As a point of further clarification, Arnott also makes a new front air shock that features a custom momotube assembly that eliminates most of the design flaws of the OE shocks. These shocks do not have the option of Sport or Comfort, and are valved closer to the OE comfort suspension.

The following users liked this post:
SuperTrav (12-29-2011)
Old 12-29-2011, 05:06 PM
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

If my woes continue with my ride it is COILS HERE I COME!

Old 12-29-2011, 05:08 PM
Banned

I am not doubting it's accuracy but can you tell us where you get your info about these new Arnott products. There seems to be little out there.

Originally Posted by calcareer
I replaced the air shocks on my 2005 Jaguar XJR with the re-manufactured sport air shocks from Arnott. After three weeks, I am very pleased with the results. These shocks from Arnott have a slightly firmer feel and corner flatter than the original sport shocks, but that may be due to the fact that my OEM shocks were leaking air for a long time. The sport air shocks have a smaller air bladder than the comfort air shocks from Arnott. I went with the sport air shock because I wanted to maintain the sporting charactistics of the XJR.

As a point of further clarification, Arnott also makes a new front air shock that features a custom momotube assembly that eliminates most of the design flaws of the OE shocks. These shocks do not have the option of Sport or Comfort, and are valved closer to the OE comfort suspension.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:45 PM
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Eddie, he either talked to Bill @Arnot, or read the Ebay ad

Old 12-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MK 82
I am not doubting it's accuracy but can you tell us where you get your info about these new Arnott products. There seems to be little out there.
I spoke with a technical person at Arnott (I believe his name was Bill) when I was looking to repalce my suspension system. He told me how the coilover and the new air springs were calibrated in relation to the OEM air comfort and sport suspension calibrations.
You can look at the new systems on their website. The coilovers are the first item listed and the new air suspension struts are the second items listed.
JAGUAR Air Suspension Parts - XJ Series 2004-2010 XJ Series

Old 01-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mstolley
Hey, new member here. I just got my 2004 VDP back from getting the suspension replaced with the new Arnott coil kit. I think it was just released today.

JAGUAR Air Suspension Parts - XJ Series 2004-2010 XJ Series

So far, so good. If any issues arise, I'll report to the forum.

If you are in the Austin, TX area, I had it done at Luxury Auto Works. The owner, Thomas Dere, is a straight-talking, good guy. Apparently, he was very impressed with the kit.
Any input on the ride since the conversion?

Old 01-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Banned

I strongly discourage this conversation, I know that air suspension on our cars fail every 50k but we should keep in mind that they offer a great and safe ride. Some of of guys may think that it's just a simple conversation but I assure you CATS is one of the most important parts of our cars, just my 2 cents.

I question the safety of a system that can go flat at hiway speeds and leave you with a white knuckled stop.

The following 2 users liked this post by MK 82:
danveenstra (09-01-2014), Marsden (02-22-2012)
Old 01-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dadio
For whose lifetme are these air shocks warranteed ? Anytime I see someone offering a lifetime warranty I become more than a little sceptical. Nothing lasts a lifetime and no ligitimate company offers a warranty for that long on anything unless they don't intend to honor the warranty. Just my 2 cents and not directed at you personally. Just my 2 cents.
Unfortunately their warranties are not transferable. If you sell the car it is null and void. Most people end up selling them eventually. That is how they get out of the "lifetime" warranty.

Also, I have had occasion to call their tech support three times. Each time I had an extended wait. Two times I got women who not only were not knowledgable of the conversion but also had no basic mechanical knowledge. The third time I got a very short, surly young male. Tech support has been a low point. See my Conversion Thread.

Last edited by MK 82; 01-06-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:19 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I put my arnott coil over kit on about a month and a half ago. It drives just fine. A bit different, but I have no complaints about it. Its still great. Also, the car itself has no issues with the computer being disconnected. I did noticed that the front end bottoms out EASY. I reported this issue to Arnott and they investigated it. Turns out other people have reported the same issues. They did their whole engineering investigation on the units and found something wrong with the front struts, making them weak and also causing the front of the car to be lower than need be. Makes alot of sense to me when it comes to my car bottoming out. They informed me that they fixed the issues with all the future manufactured units and also that they have recalled all the front coil over struts they sold and are sending the new ones "free-of-charge" to the individuals who purchased them. I get mine on Tuesday, I will post on here after I replace them on my XJ8 and let y'all know the results.

Quick Reply: Arnott Coil Conversion Kit