XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Buying a 2007 XJR - what to look for

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 04:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 2007 XJR - what to look for

There is a 2007 XJR with 24000 miles, one owner, that came in at my local dealer. I unfortunately was traveling so I couldn't look at it. My husband facetimed me so I was able to get a walk around look. I put a deposit on it to hold it but I can still back out. I am going to be able to go look at it this week-end. Is there anything that I should pay attention to when I go look at and drive it?

Old 09-14-2017, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Look for maintenance records and get a Carfax report to begin with.

Also look at this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...d-know-112913/

Very low mileage which on the face of it is good.

Certain things such as bushings deteriorate with age so check those as best as possible if you could look with the car raised.

If bushings are cracked they are relatively easy to see.

Take it for a test drive and look for "knocks/clunks" going over bumps which would indicate something wrong in the suspension area.

Check the color of the engine oil to make sure it is ok. You do not want dirty black.

You cannot check the transmission oil as there is no dipstick but you can make sure the car changes gear smoothly under acceleration.

Make sure the brakes operate smoothly with no "grating/grinding" feeling.

Look for even tire wear.

Others will add more.

Last edited by jackra_1; 09-14-2017 at 08:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Tazzberry (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

With a mileage like that it should look and drive like an almost-new car. Having said that, it is now 10 years old and unfortunately some things deteriorate with age rather than miles, so a test drive is absolutely essential to satisfy yourself that the car is one you want to buy. Being an XJR it is likely to have large diameter wheels and low profile tyres. These do NOT give a "boulevard" ride, so if you want a lot of comfort this car is maybe not for you. However, you can look for wheels on the internet and could buy a set of 18", and then sell the 19" or 20" that I suspect it has.

A 2007 benefits from the unnanounced mods made by Jaguar based on running experience since the car came on sale in 2003. My own 2007 Sovereign has gone a full year not needing anything doing apart from distorted brake discs, a £45 job to fix and covered by the warranty. My previous X350 needed a lot of repairs due to Jaguar's failure to fully develop the car by the time it came on sale. The car was heavily delayed in development, (the aluminium construction cost Ford almost the US defense budget !!), so some things were skipped. A 2007 can be bought with a lot more confidence.

I think you'll like the car, one of the last traditionally styled Jaguars and elegance personified.

The following users liked this post:
Tazzberry (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information! I was able to drive the car and found it did shudder a bit for the first mile and then it calmed down and was very smooth. Otherwise it's like a new car. The oil was just changed so I couldn't check the color.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:42 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Most cars sold from Dealerships come with new rotors and pads along with new tires.

After 10 years, expect a total bushing suspension replacement cost around $3,500.00. Belts, Wheel Alignment, fuel filter, air & cabin filters, transmission & rear end oil/filter replacement, cost about $1,200.
If not already done, try to negotiate a dealer discounted price for the above services as part of your deal.

Make sure you check for the multi CD player cassette tray in the player located in the trunk. Also look at the interior headliner for signs of coming lose.

Also, try and negotiate a bumper to bumper extended warranty at a discount into your deal.

Wheel shutter/shimmy is mostly from warped brake rotors or out of round wheel rims. Both are common problems of Jaguar ownership.

Good Luck.

Last edited by mberman; 09-14-2017 at 09:50 PM.