XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Correct HID bulb for 2006 XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Correct HID bulb for 2006 XJ8

When I use any of the online parts stores' "parts finder" to locate replacement HID bulbs for my 2006 XJ8 they tell me it takes D2S. The Sylvania and Philips sites say the same thing.

But most posters here say this information is wrong and that what I need are two D1S bulbs. The bulbs are the originals (five years old) and are losing their brightness (although they haven't gone violet yet).

I think I can get away with just changing the bulbs, but I want to order the correct ones. Can anyone confirm which HID bulbs the 2006 XJ8 takes?

Thanks,
Fr. Craig

Old 01-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

D1S is the correct bulb and Sylvania is the OEM replacement brand, FWIW.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

FYI; When you install the D1S bulbs, do a 10 - 15 minute burn-in process. If you do not, the ballast will likely fail (5 yrs old) and you will have to spend about $250 for a new LAD5G ballast.

Last November, I purchased 2 D1S bulbs for the same reason as you. Installed both and tested by turning the lights on for a few seconds then off. I forgot about the burn-in period.
I turned them on again to initiate the burn-in; too late, the left ballast gave up.
I ordered a used ballast and it just gave up about 2 hrs ago.
I ordered another ballast (NEW) from a fellow in Oakley, Fife, United Kingdom for $231. I wish he could ship by UPS. I think I may have to wait about 2 weeks.

The right ballast gave up last month. I ordered a used one and it lasted about 2 minutes. The seller was kind enough to give half a refund (no warranty) Ordered a new ballast and all is fine with the right side HID.

ADDED: I forgot to mention that the reason I purchased the HID bulbs was to replace the right bulb that was blinking. I removed the bumper cover then removed both headlight units. The right headlight had about a quart of water in it. I swapped out the ballast and confirmed that it was bad. I replaced it with a new ballast and it is still operating correctly.

Last edited by reyesl; 01-11-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by reyesl
FYI; When you install the D1S bulbs, do a 10 - 15 minute burn-in process. If you do not, the ballast will likely fail (5 yrs old) and you will have to spend about $250 for a new LAD5G ballast.

Last November, I purchased 2 D1S bulbs for the same reason as you. Installed both and tested by turning the lights on for a few seconds then off. I forgot about the burn-in period.
I turned them on again to initiate the burn-in; too late, the left ballast gave up.
I ordered a used ballast and it just gave up about 2 hrs ago.
I ordered another ballast (NEW) from a fellow in Oakley, Fife, United Kingdom for $231. I wish he could ship by UPS. I think I may have to wait about 2 weeks.

The right ballast gave up last month. I ordered a used one and it lasted about 2 minutes. The seller was kind enough to give half a refund (no warranty) Ordered a new ballast and all is fine with the right side HID.
Can you explain what you mean by a 10 - 15 minute burn-in process? Do you simply mean that once I've installed the bulb and put everything back together I should reconnect the battery, turn on the car and let the engine run for 10 - 15 minutes?

Old 01-09-2012, 06:00 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by frcraig
Can you explain what you mean by a 10 - 15 minute burn-in process? Do you simply mean that once I've installed the bulb and put everything back together I should reconnect the battery, turn on the car and let the engine run for 10 - 15 minutes?
Yes, after the engine is started; turn on the lights for 10 - 15 minutes.

Short story, it allows the gases, voltage, and metals within the bulb to stabilize.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:26 PM

UPDATE:
The original factory installed Sylvania D1S bulb is model 66043 and the replacement is model 66144. The new model is slightly different - a bit lighter and less rubber around the base of the bulb. Sylvania's web page says the 66144 is 'improved' and replaces the 66043, although some places still stock the older bulbs. Don't be worried when you pull yours out and see the number is different from the replacement. It works / fits fine.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Correct Ballast

Well, installing the new hid bulb/ignitor units was simple and straight forward. Then only a few weeks later my driver's side low beam hid went out. I noticed condensation drops in the lens and swapped out the bulb/ignitor with the passenger side to confirm the bulb is fine. It is. So obviously some moisture shorted out the ballast.

It took it to Jag today (it is still under Select Edition) and asked them to replace the ballast (which is covered by warranty - although bulbs aren't). They told me that because there is evidence of moisture penetration my warranty doesn't cover a new ballast. I said fine, I'll pick one up for $200 from ebay or NAPA, and have them install it.

There response was that they can only replace the entire driver's side headlamp assembly for $1,700 dollars!!!!

So, I'm going to just replace the ballast myself. I didn't need to drop the bumper to change the bulbs, but I know I must do this to access the ballast. I'm trying to get away with ordering the ballast without having to drop the bumper first just to find the part number. From surfing the web I see conflicting entries, even on the hid parts company sights. Some say LAD5G 12 pin fits the 2006 XJ8 (saying LAD5L 4 pin came into use in the 2007 model), while other sites say the LAD5L 4 pin was used in the 2006 model.

I'd like to get away with just dropping the bumper once (the day I do the install), so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Dropping the bumper is very easy, I have done it on mine several times. Valeo makes the ballast and it is used in other cars as well but you want to make certain you have the correct one.

Also, it is VERY important when replacing the cover for the headlamp assembly that the rubber seal seats properly or it will leak or pickup up moisture from the air during temperature changes and humidity, one of the several reasons I am not comfortable changing the bulbs without removing the bumper and the assemblies.

The following users liked this post:
xjrguy (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
Dropping the bumper is very easy, I have done it on mine several times. Valeo makes the ballast and it is used in other cars as well but you want to make certain you have the correct one.

Also, it is VERY important when replacing the cover for the headlamp assembly that the rubber seal seats properly or it will leak or pickup up moisture from the air during temperature changes and humidity, one of the several reasons I am not comfortable changing the bulbs without removing the bumper and the assemblies.

I'd venture to say everyone with moisture in their X350 lamp assembly got it for the very reason Jahummer outlined.

jahummer (03-21-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 04:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Ballast installed

After arguing with my Jag dealer who told me I had to pay for an entire $1,700 headlamp assembly because my ballast had burned out and they 'suspected' moisture damage, I read all the references to ballasts on this forum and did an online search for the specific Valeo part. The 06 -09 XJ8s take Valeo (or Valtec) LAD5GL. This is a four pin ballast. The earlier models take the LAD5G (no L), which is a twelve pin ballast. Jaguar conveniently fits the ballast at the very bottom of the headlamp assembly where any moisture can run to and cause a short.

When I called the Jag dealer back and asked if I could order the ballast (which is covered by warranty - bulbs aren't) and gave them the Valeo part number, they told me they don't sell them. So I searched again on the internet and found this very Valeo part is used in Chrysler 300s (06 -09), Cadillac CTS, and VW Passats. Chrysler told me they could order one for $212.00. As I had already dropped my bumper to find the part number on the ballast I wanted to pick one up today, so I kept looking.

The VW dealer told they had them in stock for $596.00. Same part - what a difference. When I told the parts chap my situation he said "listen, we've just salvaged a wrecked Passat, I can sell you one of its ballasts for $200. I picked it up and it is identical right down to the bar code of the one I pulled out of my Jag. Plugged it in and it works like a charm.

If you need the part number for VW, Chrysler, etc. just query LAD5GL VW for example and you'll find links that quote the VW part number. VW need their own part number and Chrysler need their Mopar number, but as I say, you can find them on the net.

u102768 (03-22-2012)