XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

EGR valley hoses NON S/C

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

Michael. Thanks for an excellent write-up. Two quick questions please!
Could this hose be the cause of a coolant leak from the back of the engine?
I do not have a Factory Workshop Manual (FWM); will I be able to extract the same information you used from your FWM from my copy of the X350 Workshop Manual kindly supplied to me as a download on this forum?
Thank you.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Box;1971893]I think you owe Michael an apology. FSM = Factory Service Manual. Stop being so quick to judge others. (SMH)[/QUOTE]

Box, I make an innocuous, throwaway comment about Michael's use of an acronym that is 'inexplicable only to me' and your immediate response is to accuse me of somehow 'judging' him? Yet you end your accusation with an acronym - SMH; I had to look it up on Google, since (yet again) I had no idea what it meant and it was not in the Jargon Buster? It transpires that it means 'Shaking My Head'!
So it would appear that you are 'Shaking Your Head' at me whilst accusing me of 'Judging Others too Quickly'?
You know it is said that when you point your index finger at a person, there are always three fingers pointing back at you.....
May I suggest that if Michael feels that somehow I have 'judged' him, he tells me so and then I will certainly apologise to him, for it was certainly not my intention; however, it seems I am guilty of failing to realise that the stalwart veterans on this forum were so hypersensitive to the slightest tincture of a criticism! MYOB....

Last edited by EsRay; 10-08-2018 at 02:25 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 281 Posts

Hi EsRay,

Yes the online x350 workshop manual is the book I was referencing. For your leak behind the LH tire, it's possible any number of leaks show up on the ground in that location due to the underbelly pan. The hose in the valley is a likely candidate if you see coolant dripping out the rear of the engine. There are also heater hoses that run behind the engine into the firewall, but if I remember correctly those are closer to the RH side.

The following users liked this post:
EsRay (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you Michael.
My underbody pans are still off from my coolant flush and replace. I used your 'up on jack stands and get under there with a torch' method and sure enough, my leak was running down the driver's side of the back of the engine/transmission. Thank you for your excellent write up! I followed you and my workshop manual exactly (except I did not remove the Cowl Vent Screen - I do not have the necessary 'puller' to remove the wiper arms) and the job was very nearly a pleasure!
Once removed, I was presented with an identical view to yours posted, except I had a thin stream of orange coolant down the R/H side (when viewed from the front) of the valley. I really was very pleased to see that coolant!
I blocked one end of the guilty hose and pumped some air into the sealed other; in a bowl of water, I only got a very small stream of bubble (under a fair amount of pressure) from that rather ugly looking adapter which takes the hose down to the smaller bore. Still, I cannot see anything else that could possibly have caused that stream of coolant?
I wonder why Jaguar did not adapt the bore of this hose to smaller at the throttle body end - At least it would be easier to get at!
Thanks again.....

Old 10-08-2018, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

I wonder why Jaguar did not adapt the bore of this hose to smaller at the throttle body end - At least it would be easier to get at!

If you make things easy to see, as well as access, they don't need to come back to the dealer to replace a small hose that would take 5 min to do with a pair of pliers.
That is what Mr Honda did made it well, simple, at a reasonable price, then sell more than you can imagine, to the every man type of people .
Jaguar looks to another group of people for its income, sales,service,trade it in for another.

EsRay (10-08-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 02:34 AM
Veteran Member

Michael, which solvent is best to use, please?

Old 10-09-2018, 04:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mhamilton
I need to correct my previous post--the hose in the photo and the part number are not correct. I inadvertently received the hose for a S/C 4.2 from my dealer.

The correct those for the N/A 4.2L is part AJ811763
Just in case of use to someone, the TB Return Hose for my 2005 XJ8L N/A 4.2L was part number: AJ89554

Sean W (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member

Hello Michael.
At some point in its 13 year existence someone has used silicon sealant on both sides of my gaskets - Presumably in an attempt to avoid replacing them? Please (when you have a spare minute) confirm that I am correct in assuming that my replacement metal gaskets do not require any form of gasket-maker or sealant?
Any idea what that plastic covered foam packing is for and why it is only present on bank 2?

Last edited by EsRay; 10-11-2018 at 02:09 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

Any idea what that plastic covered foam packing is for and why it is only present on bank 2?

Sound killing foam, install it as it came out,nothing needed on those metal gaskets. This would be the best time to install those eight internal,intake manifold gaskets, while things are apart.

EsRay (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Wingrider

Sound killing foam, install it as it came out,nothing needed on those metal gaskets. This would be the best time to install those eight internal,intake manifold gaskets, while things are apart.
Thanks for your post Wingrider.
Which eight internal intake manifolds do you refer to, please?

Old 10-11-2018, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member

Intake manifold has them inside, it comes apart and there they are.
While the manifold is out of the car, is the time to replace them.

EsRay (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Wingrider
Intake manifold has them inside, it comes apart and there they are.
While the manifold is out of the car, is the time to replace them.
Hello Wingrider. Thank you. I can now see the edges of the gaskets you are referring to.
Wingrider, (in your opinion) is it likely that these undisturbed gaskets are causing any vacuum leaks? I ask, because to replace them, I would have to have them shipped in from either the UK or USA at an overall cost of some £60 to £80 (AUD110 - AUD145), and (of course) the resultant delay in receiving them?
Obviously I understand that what you say about now being the best time to replace them is right and that really only I can decide, but I would welcome your opinion?

Old 10-12-2018, 01:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 740 Likes on 623 Posts

Methinks those gaskets are rubber or silicone?
Are they compressed at all?
Do they protrude at all from the face of the manifold?

EsRay (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 03:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by meirion1
Methinks those gaskets are rubber or silicone?
Are they compressed at all?
Do they protrude at all from the face of the manifold?
Thank you for your post Meirion1.
Wingrider is fundamentally right - This is an ideal opportunity to replace them. However, I will probably only be in Dubai for another three or four years and I shall not be taking my L/H drive Jaguar back to a R/H drive country? If I were keeping this car longer term, I would take Wingrider's advice in a heartbeat!
However, if it aint broke.....?
They are green coloured silicone and they appear to have small lugs which sit in recesses machined into the flats; all I can see of them is the very edge of these small lugs?

Last edited by EsRay; 10-12-2018 at 03:39 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:53 AM
Veteran Member

The replacement's are indeed green, cost me $100 for the set of eight.
Yes they are the source of the dreaded vac leak,causing my check engine to come on.
Throwing the code for a bad air flow sensor, which was fine.
You might want to snug the fasteners on the manifold itself, maybe not.

EsRay (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 281 Posts

Who's a good source for the 8 intake gaskets these days? I recall these aren't available from Jag?

Old 10-12-2018, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Hello Michael,

You can get them on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/jaguar-xj8-...%7CModel%3AXJ8

Dan R (11-01-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member

Better price than what i paid, nice work.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EsRay
Michael. Thanks for an excellent write-up. Two quick questions please!
Could this hose be the cause of a coolant leak from the back of the engine?
I do not have a Factory Workshop Manual (FWM); will I be able to extract the same information you used from your FWM from my copy of the X350 Workshop Manual kindly supplied to me as a download on this forum?
Thank you.
Hi, I was reviewing info about the valley hoses and all that's involved and noticed that you made reference to "the X350 Workshop Manual kindly supplied to me as a download on this forum".

I've been looking for that particular download and have not been able to find it. Will you please send me the url of the place I can download it from?

I'm not anxious to remove the intake manifold to do any of this, but will, of course.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards, Brian

Old 11-01-2018, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member

Hello Brian,

I cannot remember where I downloaded it from - I think a kind soul on this forum had attached it to his post. Anyway, I have put it into a Dropbox Folder and herewith the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bw1atx6cr...anual.pdf?dl=0

Brian, I don't think it is fundamentally different to the Workshop Manuals downloadable from the 'Stickies' in six parts? However, I like it because it has functional menus under the Bookmarks tab to the left of the pdf page?

Ray

Last edited by EsRay; 11-01-2018 at 03:44 AM.

Quick Reply: EGR valley hoses NON S/C