XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Ghost windows and sunroof!

Old 03-07-2019, 04:09 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ghost windows and sunroof!

I recently had some repairs done to my 2005 Jaguar XJ Vanden Plas...putting it back on the road after being sidelined for awhile. The repairs included an engine replacement and several other components that had mysteriously disappeared from other shops that had worked on it. The car runs great, no warning messages. However, now that I have the car back, other issues have arisen:

1. The car failed inspection due to emissions. I took the car to the inspection station shortly after getting it back. The inspector queried me about completing several driving cycles after the battery had been removed. The mechanic indicated that he had failed to tell me to drive the car for awhile in order for the computers and sensors to reset, then take it back through inspection? Now, I have an ugly red “Rejection” sticker on my car until re-inspection! Does any of this make sense?
2. I cover the car with a car cover. (I believe these cars deserve a garage!) We have had a period of frigid weather in New Jersey. I walked out to the car to find that the inner lining of the car cover had stuck to the car! I dare not peel it off for fear of ruining the finish of my beautiful BRG Jag! I have been waiting for warmer temperatures for the car cover to separate from the car...need I wait ‘til June? Now, I can not even drive the car to allow the computers to re-set! Besides, ordering a better quality car cover or finding a garage, any thoughts?
3. This is the kicker! On three consecutive nights after locking the car, I came out to find all windows down and the sunroof open! I used another key than the key given to the repair shop. Is this a locking issue, a key issue, or what? Furthermore, given that the windows and sunroof have been open during frigid weather, I notice that moisture has gotten in to cause sagging of the headliner!!! I wii need to protect my interior until I figure this out...possibly pulling the fuses for the windows and sunroof. I am now returning to the original key, but I don’t see how that matters given the fact that the doors did lock. Incidentally, the doors were unlocked, along with the windows and sunroof being open.

Any thoughts on any of the above?

Old 03-08-2019, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Where was your key when this happened?
Mine was found in the garage with all the windows down, the sun roof open & doors unlocked.
The remote will work in your pocket if a button is engaged by accident.
As far as emissions check, an inexpensive reader will tell you when all systems have cleared to pass.

The following users liked this post:
staggerlee51 (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 08:49 AM

Thank you for your response, Windgrinder. I, naturally, put the key in my pocket after locking the car...then, store it on the top of my bedroom dresser. As mentioned above, I switched keys last night and found everything secure this morning. So, I wonder if it’s a key issue? When this occurred to you, did you have any re-occurrence beyond the one time with that same key?

Old 03-08-2019, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Not yet, laid down with key in pocket, must have held the unlock button down.
But a guess at best.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:19 AM

1. OBDII scanner ordered.
2. Car cover “released” vehicle as warmer temperatures arrived.
3. No problems with other key, yet.

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (03-11-2019)