XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Got a front end clunk? Check your rear wheel bearings!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 12:41 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Got a front end clunk? Check your rear wheel bearings!

So, I had a minor issue of a clunk/creak coming from the front end during lower speed tight turns. I was thinking tie rods (inner and/or outer) and getting ready to replace them. After all, they are the last part of the front end I haven't replaced over the last year so what's left! however, before I did that, I had a completely shot left rear wheel bearing, like, completely totally gone (had about 1/2 inch of play in the rear wheel!). Now, don't think I was ignoring a problem, there were really no signs the bearing was bad until about 6 weeks ago when I noticed some noise above about 90 kph from the rear. I didn't have the time to check it right away but figured it's no big deal since it was the first sign and I probably had some time. Then over the next week the sound started to show up at progressively lower speeds, 80, 60, and finally anything over about 50 kph started to sound bad. So, I made the time to check it out. Well, that is when I noticed the massive play in the wheel, and that the center of the tire had been worn to the wear bars, likely due to the wheel wobble. It was as this point that I pretty much stopped driving the car unless I had to. I ordered the parts and managed to replace it last weekend. (Big thanks to Lagonia for his thread on it a while back and for helping with some questions I had). After it was all buttoned back up, I noticed that besides the now perfectly quiet ride again, that the front end noise was gone as well. After a few more days of trying to make it clunk again, still nothing. I guess when turning the rear wheel would sometimes just pop out/in due to the bad bearing causing the front end to try and compensate, resulting in the noise I was hearing. It's amazing how some things will telegraph themselves to other parts of the car making you think something is wrong. In the end, the moral of the story is, check your rear wheel bearings, especially if you are up there in miles (as I am), and that they can go from slightly bad to terribly bad over the span of a week or so. Just thought I'd share my experience and hopefully it may help someone else down the road!

ps. On changing the rear bearings. I know you are supposed to have the official Jag tools (as Lagonia did), and I will admit that the pressing in/out will be easier with them. However, I did it without them and had no issues. I used a front wheel bearing press kit and it worked fine. Getting the old bearing out is the issue if you ask me, but it can be done with the right size socket!

The following 4 users liked this post by WinterJag:
jackra_1 (12-01-2016), Lagonia (12-02-2016), meirion1 (12-01-2016), Panthro (12-07-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 740 Likes on 623 Posts

I had a similar problem with my teeth-it's called referred pain! lol