XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

"Holo Lamp Delay" Message???

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Holo Lamp Delay" Message???

Hi. This morning when I turned on the headlamps the indicator message HOLO LAMP DELAY 20:00 briefly came on, then disappeared.

My park lights came on, but not the headlamps. I ended up turning on my foglights so I could drive to work.

Can anyone advise how I can fix this? My 2006 XJ8 has the touch screen/GPS in the dash. I went through the setting but couldn't find a solution - maybe I missed it? I'd like to keep the lights set to AUTO and let them automatically turn on/off according to the sensor.

Thanks!

Old 12-13-2016, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

Ah, now you do realise that the headlamps only work when the ignition is switched on ?

With the key in the AUX position (ie ignition off), or with the key out, you only get the side (parking) lamps even if you turn the switch to the headlamp or AUTO position.

There is a message:

AUTOLAMP DELAY X:XX

for which the owner's handbook says:

Changing the time delay will display the newly set time that the headlamps will remain ON after exiting the vehicle.

If you turn the lighting switch beyond 'AUTO' to one of the three straight lines then after switching off the ignition it delays the headlamps switching off for: 10 seconds / 30 seconds / 2 minutes.

(ADDENDUM)

If the headlamps don't work when the ignition is ON then there are a number of places were the problem could lie:

1. the headlamp switch;
2. the wiring from the switch to the Front Electronic Module;
3. the FEM itself;
4. the wiring from the FEM to the Front Fuse Box;
5. the fuse or relay in the FFB; or finally
6. the wiring from the FFB to the lights.

1 and 4 are known problem areas.

Q. Is it only the dip beams that don't work, or is the problem with the main beams as well ?

Last edited by Partick the Cat; 12-13-2016 at 12:47 PM.