XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

How to service Jag XJ X358 2.7 tdvi (2008)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 04:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to service Jag XJ X358 2.7 tdvi (2008)

Hi All

So I have realised that due to my short journeys the regeneration process is not being completed and due to fuel being dumped in the oil, it goes over the max mark.

I have spoken to my indie and a few jag friends who have urgently recommended a oil and oil filter change urgently.

I spoke with national Tyres who habe quoted me £80 all in.

As I will need to do this regularly I was hoping I could learn to do this myself but the information and videos available are scarce.

I was hoping someone had or regularly do this themselves as I'm led to believe that an oil and oil filter/fuel/air/pollen filter replacements is not too difficult.

I'm ashamed to admit I don't own any tools but am willing to invest in the kit needed to for this purpose.

What kit will I need for this and how do I do it? Any videos or reading material available to become good at this.

Any advice would be useful. Thanks.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by axr383
Hi All

So I have realised that due to my short journeys the regeneration process is not being completed and due to fuel being dumped in the oil, it goes over the max mark.

I have spoken to my indie and a few jag friends who have urgently recommended a oil and oil filter change urgently.
I spoke with national Tyres who habe quoted me £80 all in.

As I will need to do this regularly I was hoping I could learn to do this myself but the information and videos available are scarce.

I was hoping someone had or regularly do this themselves as I'm led to believe that an oil and oil filter/fuel/air/pollen filter replacements is not too difficult.

I'm ashamed to admit I don't own any tools but am willing to invest in the kit needed to for this purpose.
What kit will I need for this and how do I do it? Any videos or reading material available to become good at this.

Any advice would be useful. Thanks.
Hey there, someone at NT is pulling your chain, its only £45 for an oil / filter change, £40 if you use the 10% discount online voucher
Takes around 40 mins or so, they use the correct grade of oil and its cheap ( a loss leader for them )

Here's a thread on pollen filter change below
Takes around 10 mins and costs around £10 or so depending on who you buy from, aftermarket or genuine OEM will be slightly more

See pic below

On the windshield cowling near the windscreen washer reservoir there are 3 or 4 little plastic clips, simply remove them and lift to expose the pollen filter.
Remove, clean out any debris and replace, job done.

The air filter as arrowed again is only around £10, maybe less, maybe more depending n where you buy. To be fair this can be a little trickier, but can be done and you would be charged around £40 - £50 to supply n fit.
Fuel filter again as arrowed will only be £10 - £20 depending on where you buy from, probably around £50 to supply n fit

The guys at my local NY do the oil change for £40, I supply air filter and fuel filter and they'll fit them for me for £20 cash, so around £80 or so all in.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:54 AM

Thanks Jim,

I spoke with them this morning and the best price that both branches near me are quoting is £59.95 (Oil and Filter Change).

With the voucher comes to £54 (approx) I think I am going to go ahead with it and get it done as I need to.

Maybe the prices are different in different areas.

Would like to be able to do this myself, anyone done it? What tools are needed for this?

Old 09-18-2015, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by axr383
Thanks Jim,

I spoke with them this morning and the best price that both branches near me are quoting is £59.95 (Oil and Filter Change).
With the voucher comes to £54 (approx) I think I am going to go ahead with it and get it done as I need to.
Maybe the prices are different in different areas.
Would like to be able to do this myself, anyone done it? What tools are needed for this?

Strange, the only thing I can think of, is they do ( or can ) make a charge for the removal / reinstallation of the engine undertray.
To be honest its a real faff getting it on and off, and you want to be sure it's on again securely.......My local guys don't charge me, perhaps that's the difference?

The proper oil can be expensive, so I'd hazard a guess at around £40 or so for the oil & filter to do the job yourself ( if you want the satisfaction of doing that and knowing its done and done correctly )
You'd ideally need access to a ramp. I'd say that unless you were proficient it could take a couple of hours or so until you get comfortable. The filter housing is at the top of the engine bay

Not totally sure, perhaps some of the other guys can chime in, but there's a large plastic nut on top of the filter housing, around 22mm - maybe 24mm
You'll need a socket for the drain plug, probably some tie wraps if there are missing / broken undertray screws

Just for ***** n giggles, you could ring my NT on 01786 475196 and speak to David, tell him you spoke to Jim with the Black Jag XJ and see what he quotes you?
Might not make a difference, you may be able to use that against your local guy, or just for info / ammo

Good luck

Old 09-18-2015, 11:19 AM

Spoke to David, its a promotional offer in Sterling Scotland Branch only. This all depends on region to region.

Never mind, still at £54 its worth it as I purchased the oil and filter and that cost me £50 itself.

Have got it booked in for tomorrow at 8.30am.

Thanks for the info Jim.

Might weigh up if its worth doing it myself or not.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (09-18-2015)