XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Installing OEM Navigation into 2004 XJ8 (without nav)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing OEM Navigation into 2004 XJ8 (without nav)

Hello Jaguar Fans. Just bought our first Jag, it is an '04 XJ8. Very excited - gets delivered this weekend. Have been a Jag fan for years and just couldn't pass up a great opportunity to own a car I've loved.

It does NOT have factory navigation. I was able to source a navigation head unit, including climate controls, from a 2005 XJ8 VDP, which also includes the DVD drive and computer. Not sure what is included in the way of cabling, but it says some cabling is provided. It should be arriving early next week as well, and I will know more then.

Now I know this install is tough, based on what I have seen from other posts, but I wanted to find out if anyone has themselves or has heard of someone else successfully making the upgrade. I owned a custom stereo install shop for 10 years so I have a lot of experience, and am looking forward to the challenge. Just wanted to take advantage of all the experienced owners out there.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide. I know the dealer will do it for $6K (i've seen on other posts) but this is a DIY-or-bust install (computer programming aside, if needed).

-Phillip

Old 09-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Default RE: Installing OEM Navigation into 2004 XJ8 (without nav)

anybody??

Old 09-08-2008, 01:35 PM

Sounds like the ultimate DIY project. Hopefully the reward is greater than the risk. Where are you going to mount the DVD player or the nav unit? Trunk mount like the factory does? That's a scary amount of wire to run in spots that probably have scary amounts of wiring already.

I think the lack of response is due to not many people have tried this heady type of open car surgery on their own. It would be great if u photo-documented the procedure and posted to the board. We'll cheer you on every step of the way! If u get stuck along the way, I'm sure there are techs who could point u in the right direction.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:25 PM

I am going to keep everything stock-looking and do it in the trunk.

Hopefully things will go smooth - it will be another week or two before i can begin. In the meantime, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Let us know how it goes and take lots of pictures.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:31 PM

I just purchased an '04 XJ8 without navigation/satnav, JagVoice or bluetooth.

I want to add navigation to it. I purchased a navigation system from a 2005 XJ8 VDP and want to integrate it. I have been following x-dave's X-type install forum (http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=10271) and want to do the same thing for my XJ8.

Here is the current state of the car, as it is now:

Dash

Trunk

Here are the parts I purchased so far:

Antenna

Dash Harness

Rear of touchscreen

Front of touchscreen

Navigation DVD

Rear of DVD-ROM

DVD-ROM Drive

So...here are my questions.

1. What additional parts do I need to acquire? I don't have any wiring for the DVD-ROM (no harnesses are factory installed). I can also build harnesses if anyone has diagrams.

2. What should I expect needing to add once I open up the dash? Will the harness I have be plug and play, or do I need to add more wiring?

3. Has anyone successfully completed this upgrade, and, if so, do you have any tips?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well the problem is there is no wiring for the dvd in trunk, also there is no wiring for the antenna of navigation/sat system, other then navigation system should be plug and play. Good luck and if you get it done Ill do the same on my jag lol.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:52 PM

Well, I finally had some time to work on this and got the OEM Nav fitted. For more info jump over to the uk jag forums: http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20740

Old 02-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey Phillip, Saw you were a Tampa member from the other site, what dealer do you use? ( i have some recommendations for you if you need some, i also have dealings in the car business myself ) im from south tampa

Good to know information for another new member asking the same question...

I have to ask what was the total time and dollar investment it took you?

Old 02-25-2009, 02:26 PM

Bought entire system off eBay for about $250, and that was my only expense.

Time was probably 10 hours or so to figure it all out, would only take 2-3 hours to do an upgrade in the future.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:29 PM

btw, i go to jag/aston of tampa.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Congratulations Phillip on your completion. Not many of us would attempt such a task. You have just proved it isn't as tough as it may look.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Good stuff Phillip, you should try to make the Sebring 12 hour meet next month, I made a thread in the regionals-south section about it!

Old 04-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Let me add my congrats as well. You're very resourceful as well as persistent (I just read the entire UK thread). A real team effort too!

Captivating topic, and actually the reason I joined the forum today because I'm finding that pre-owned XJ8s with nav are costing $5 to $8K more than without, controlling for all other factors (VDP, XJR, etc). So do you want to rent out your services, now that you've figured it out? Might be a lucrative cottage industry in these hard times

A guy on the Mercedes forums does this sort of thing as an itinerant laborer. Makes a good living at it too. Not saying you need a new career or anything... but I really want that satnav and not keen on paying so much more for it. Arrgh. The great deals on XJ8s are all without nav. I didn't use to think it was a big deal but now I've gotten used to it on my other cars. Not so much the directional prompts (which I hardly ever use) as the on-screen maps telling you where you are and what your options are. I've really gotten used to those.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Thats pretty impressive, makes my install of a Sirius controller behind the ashtray using a FM controller inline pale by comparison...

Old 04-20-2009, 03:43 PM

Marsden, where are you located? I'll help anyway I can.

Kthrash, I still don't have satellite, so you're one up on me. Wife is prioritizing DVD's for the rear now that she's pregnant, so she might win out on that one.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by pmcmillan3698
Marsden, where are you located? I'll help anyway I can.

Kthrash, I still don't have satellite, so you're one up on me. Wife is prioritizing DVD's for the rear now that she's pregnant, so she might win out on that one.
I installed Sirius for a grand total of @$85, by modifying the existing ash tray area and using a Stratus 5 Radio and some antenna adaptors.. was not hard at all I really shoulda taken some pictures..

Total Parts needed:

Stratus 5: $36.00
http://electronics.shop.ebay.com/ite...86Q2ec0Q2em282

Sirius Professional Vehicle Install Kit SIR-PVK1: $27.95
http://www.amazon.com/Sirius-Profess...0262923&sr=8-1

Metra Antennaworks 40-EU30 European FM Antenna Adapter: $19.99
http://www.myradiostore.com/

If you have the ACM installed you could get by without the FM Antenna Adaper and just use the direct connection through the ACM..

Basically you remove the ashtray, I dont smoke anyway so I have no use for it, remove the center console, remove the ash tray holder (held in with some clips and two screws, I then modified the holder by drilling two holes in it to mount the radio firmly and removing the left retaining clip for the removable ash tray. The stratus 5 then fits neatly in the cut out.. you will also need to drill or rout out a 3/4" hole for the power cord to fit through.. It all makes much more sense with the holder out and the radio held in place.. Once installed the radio is inset where the ash tray used to be and the lid still closes.. I rarely change the channel so looking at it is not a big issue to me but if I do want to see what is playing I simply open the door.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:54 AM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks pmcmillan, I'm in Washington DC and Richmond VA --although with luck, in Miami in the winter!

Appreciate the offer of help, but I really don't have the nads to tear up my car and mess with the electronics like that. I'd pay someone else to do it though! My dealer is clueless of course--dealers can be like that.

Anyway, I did buy a 2005 XJ8 this week, with only 17,000 miles. Haven't even picked it up yet but I'm stoked

No NAV so am keenly interested in the topic still. I have NAV on my Mercedes and even though it's a relatively primitive system (another 2005 car) you really get used to just having the maps up while you're driving. Keeps you oriented and shows you your options at all times.

Also have a portable Mio unit (for my other cars, yes I'm a car freak) which was under $400 but runs rings around mfr factory units. That's also typical. But there's something about the OEM unit in the dash/console that can't easily be replicated. So you did 'the real thing' and that's really excellent. It was a great example of the online brotherhood too, because without that you were flying kinda blind. With it, you achieved success.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:13 AM
Default My Hat is Off to you...

Hello, very impressed you did this. I just bought a 2007 XJL without nav, bluetooth, or sirus, and want to convert as well.

As I am a new member, I am unable to see you pictures as of yet, but look forward to seeing them in the future.

I am just now trying to purchase the parts...seeing the head unit on E-Bay as well as the player. Other than the antenna and wiring between the unit and player in the trunk, what else might I need?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tim Davis

Old 09-09-2010, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Check here.

Quick Reply: Installing OEM Navigation into 2004 XJ8 (without nav)