XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Oil Filter Housing Gasket Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2024, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EsRay
FriendlyJagXJ8L ,
Please see my post #4
I need to decide whether this is something to be done on axle stands in my basement car park (in 50 degrees C) or at my friendly garage who only charge me for a hoist?
How messy, please?
Sorry that I couldn’t get to you in time, however the others in this thread make good points and it may be better to do the oil change while doing it to save the headache of wondering and it is also a bit messy. I was being a bit stingy and didn’t want to purchase another gallon of oil, saving some money but not so much time and effort lol. I did use an extra large drain pan which helped as the part fit pretty well but after removing when full of oil, a good amount will come out rather fast and uncontrollably.

Old 01-18-2024, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Thomas-S.
As you did not get another answer, I would suggest to combine the replacement with an oil change. That way, you do the work only once and it should not be messy as there will be no oil in the car. Furthermore, as you normally also replace the oil filter, I would say that without the filter accessibility will be better.
In any case, I would do the job at your friendly garage, it is much nicer to do it standing up than when lying under the car...

Best regards,

Thomas
Agreed. I didn’t have access to a lift and if you do I would take advantage to save yourself the pain. I just jacked it up put on jackstands, layed on my back slid under, elbow practically scraping the ground and got very dirty I’m sure in the process as well 😂

Old 01-18-2024, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by JoeDredd
I was going to do mine on the last oil service but those 3 bolts were tight! Next time I am going to get the engine up to temperature first and hopefully they will come out. They are not in a good place if one snaps.
Definitely not a great place. Once loosening those bolts you actually have to tinker with them a bit to get clearance from the chassis as the bolts are longer than you may think at first, but a little movement left and right back and forth and should be able to make its way out.