XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Pedal adjusting issue

Old 02-14-2012, 07:05 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Pedal adjusting issue

Hey guys im just curious if anyone ever experienced any issues the the adjusting pedals. If I turn the knob the pedals only move about an inch if that. The were working totally fine yesterday with full movement and now they only move an inch. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:11 PM

Anyone with feedback?

Old 02-14-2012, 11:30 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Ive had a lot of wine, so forgive me if this sounds dumb. Turning my knob doesnt do anything except switch control from the steering wheel to the pedals and back again. You have to turn the knob away and then push it forward and back like a joystick. Maybe Im not understanding your problem properly. Sometimes my headrest wont adjust, I just figured I said something to make her mad. Try saying,"I love you" first. This usually works for me. Heres a rabbit with a pancake on its head. Hope it helps.

The following users liked this post:
IrishDaimler (03-18-2024)
Old 02-15-2012, 04:33 AM

Okay let me rephrase that.. When the knob is turned to the pedal position, and when I push the pedal back and forth the pedals only move 3/4 of an inch in either direction and not the usual full amount of travel.

Any feedback?

Old 02-15-2012, 05:14 AM

Okay let me rephrase that.. When the knob is turned to the pedal position, and when I push the knob back and forth the pedals only move 3/4 of an inch in either direction and not the usual full amount of travel.

Any feedback?

Old 02-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,418 Likes on 1,933 Posts

These things are controlled quite precisely because of the driver position memory. The pedal setting is stored in the vehicle memory system, so the system needs to know the last pedal position, and this could get lost in some unknown way.

My technical notes says that the pedal adjustment system requires initialisation after any component has been removed. No doubt you have nor removed anything, but it suggests there is an initialisation process that could restore your full travel of 2.75".

Old 02-15-2012, 11:14 AM

I have not removed any components. Is there any way to reset it or initialize it like you say?

Old 02-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

Is there any way to reset it or initialize it like you say?
It will be something in the Jaguar diagnostics system. All Jaguar dealers will know, and many independents, but not me, I'm afraid !

Old 02-15-2012, 07:44 PM

Any other ideas guys?

Old 02-15-2012, 09:19 PM

Does anyone have access to a jaguar computer in the Queens or long island Ny area to help me out with this issue. Please respond ASAP.. This problem is driving me crazy

Old 02-15-2012, 09:32 PM

Does anyone have access to a jaguar computer in the Queens or long island Ny area to help me out with this issue. Please respond ASAP.. This problem is driving me crazy

Old 02-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by solerydr
Ive had a lot of wine, so forgive me if this sounds dumb. Turning my knob doesnt do anything except switch control from the steering wheel to the pedals and back again. You have to turn the knob away and then push it forward and back like a joystick. Maybe Im not understanding your problem properly. Sometimes my headrest wont adjust, I just figured I said something to make her mad. Try saying,"I love you" first. This usually works for me. Heres a rabbit with a pancake on its head. Hope it helps.
Well I got my laugh for the day. The pancake-topped rabbit was pure genius!

Last edited by XJRont; 02-22-2012 at 07:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
IrishDaimler (03-18-2024)
Old 02-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

i had this same issue once before. Mine would only move just a tiny bit. Every now and then they would start to work properly. Then they quit moving alot again. It was an ongoing trend. I took the unit out and examined the guts of the pedal adjusting system, the gears and motors, etc. The gear that drives the brake pedal forward and backwards was plastic, cracked, and was binding up. I mended it a bit, it still barely moves, but after i freed the gear up, the gas pedal moves perfectly forward and backwards when attempted to be adjusted. I figured the issue was that plastic gear. Now, I just deal with it. I manual set the brake pedal where it is comfortable for me and went with it. I hope this helps you.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:18 PM

The pedals werent adjusting for two weeks and today i started the car and they worked totally normal!

Old 03-05-2012, 02:21 AM
Veteran Member

Looking at your location, very cold weather can do strange things to a car, as some have found out with the air suspension.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:35 AM
Received 212 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Pedal plastic pinion gear required

I was also having pedal adjut issues. The car is new to me, but thought it should have 3" travel. Only moved about an inch ans sounded as though it locked up.

I dived into the weel well and there seems to be two drives to the gas and brake pedals, and the brake adjust has a flex cable drive. I removed the drive and found that the gas pedal moved fine. I removed and inspected the worm drive gear that was metal in a plastic housing and the pinion gear that turned the pedal jack screw. Damn, it was cracked and split. I am sure that grease on plastic affects it and caused it to shrink and split.

Due to the way it moved, the teeth offset was causing the worm drive to lock on pinion. I carved away a little of the two teeth either side of the crack gap so the pinion could bridge it. After assembly, it did adjust now end to end, with a little 'cough' when the grap was bridged. Not ideal.

I suspect that the 'fix' may cause the brake and gas pedal to get out of sync if it jumps a tooth now and then.

Does anyone know if the brake pedal adjusting pinion can be separatelly replaced? I could not see that it could be easily removed & replaced.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pedal adjustment

Be happy you have pedal adjustment at all. I was about to update my 2006 XJ8 to a 2014 model and was running though the specs when I noticed: No Pedal Adjustment. This is one of the most critical things I have found to give me a comfortable driving position. It is not on my wife's 2013XF but I sort of assumed that the XJ would have more refinement: Apparently not. I can have the stupid Blind Spot monitors that are simply a dangerous ditraction and don't tell me what I need to know if someone is crossing into the same lane I want to join.... but not the pedal adjustment that makes driving my XJ a comfort delight.
I am a long term Jaguar devotee but as far as I am concerned Jag have shot themselves in MY foot with the latest specs.
Now looking for an older model with all the good specs and low K's

Old 11-07-2014, 01:03 PM

Very interesting. I also have an issue w/ both pedals having a short throw. Looking at the units under the dash, it appears the brake and gas pedals are separate units, yet they move simultaneously. Do you know how they are controlled? Could one pedal be bad, and the other good, but not able to fully operate? Appreciate your view, sir.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also had the limited pedal travel issue. I took the little drive boxes on the pedals apart and thought that the plastic drive had split. Given the number of reports I am not convinced that it isn't designed like that. Anyhow I gave it all a bit of percussive maintenance and when reassembled it just all came back to life. I now move the pedals from one end position to the other every so often just to keep them moving and have had no issue since. I know this reply is a bit inconclusive but it might be worth just taking a look.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:41 PM

This is very good info, allgin, thank you. Did you get at the drive boxes with the pedals in place, or remove the assemblies first?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pedal adjusting issue