XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Suspension Options Super Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 05:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just replaced front shocks yesterday... gotta fix rest.. I just don't understand why no fault light...

Old 09-19-2015, 05:31 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I went with the Arnott steel coil spring retrofit (their kit p/n C-2290). So far, the verdict is that it's slightly more transmissive of bumps in the road (which was to be expected), but it's definitely not a harsh ride by any means. The car rides roughly an inch higher than it did before, but it's not an objectionable difference. The huge difference is peace of mind, knowing that I will never be stranded by an air suspension issue ever again.

The following users liked this post:
byrdlimo (12-18-2016)
Old 09-19-2015, 05:48 PM

I'm gonna stick with air...

Old 09-19-2015, 05:50 PM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by scooternva
I went with the Arnott steel coil spring retrofit (their kit p/n C-2290). So far, the verdict is that it's slightly more transmissive of bumps in the road (which was to be expected), but it's definitely not a harsh ride by any means. The car rides roughly an inch higher than it did before, but it's not an objectionable difference. The huge difference is peace of mind, knowing that I will never be stranded by an air suspension issue ever again.
New install? If so it will settle a bit.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:54 PM

I just replaced front air shocks and the back is shot now... once I install new compressor and air shocks, It should be good to go for 100,000 right..

Old 10-01-2015, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm buying a 2004 XJ8 which has the "too low" light on intermittently but which seems to sit, ride and drive fine. I'm expecting to drop $2000 ish to fix the problem some time in the next few months and am wondering if anyone with the Arnott or other kit can tell me about ride quality/handling differences once they have the new suspension in. Also wondering if putting the XJR oriented coilover kit on an XJ8 is an okay idea to tighten up the handling a bit or if it is a big ride quality destroying mistake.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:50 PM

I have read someone say the ride quality is night and day... I am fixing my air shocks, because it was designed with air for a reason... plus, I don't know for sure if someone recommending coil overs works for a company selling them or not... I know that some companies on other subjects like health pay Ghost Writers to promote their agenda... once you replace the air it should be good to go for at least 100,000 I would think.. some airshocks offer lifetime warranty on the shock... I am getting the labor for 2 shocks and compressor for $300... labor only... front air shock was $444.. and rear was $469.. these are new shocks with lifetime warrant to original owner... use Google to find a good deal... if you load the trunk and have 5 people in the car you want the air to keep it level, add pressure and keep it from sagging...

Plus this car is awesome... why settle for less to save a few bucks...

Find a good mechanic that will use your parts... price around... I have 2004 Vanden Plas and absolutely love it...

Me personally would not consider coilovers... that's just me though...

pkoko (12-10-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 03:55 PM

And I test drove one with coil overs and it would bottom out on speed bumps with the dealer in the backseat... just imagine if the trunk was fully loaded...

Old 10-01-2015, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by rocknrollteddy
And I test drove one with coil overs and it would bottom out on speed bumps with the dealer in the backseat... just imagine if the trunk was fully loaded...
My car used to bottom out on speed bumps with the OEM air suspension. No more bottoming out with the coilovers.

byrdlimo (12-18-2016)
Old 10-01-2015, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

I have read someone say the ride quality is night and day...
It's definitely not night and day, but there is a difference. You do feel the bumps a bit more at low speeds, but at highway speed it's much better than the airbags.

I am fixing my air shocks, because it was designed with air for a reason...
Maybe so, but even Jaguar saw it was a mistake when they put coilovers back on the fronts of the new XJ. The XJ40 was designed with hydraulic self leveling suspension and that was a mess. Also, Jaguar would have you believe that you never have to change the transmission fluid, so I wouldn't take their word as gospel.

plus, I don't know for sure if someone recommending coil overs works for a company selling them or not... I know that some companies on other subjects like health pay Ghost Writers to promote their agenda...
Seriously?

once you replace the air it should be good to go for at least 100,000 I would think..
Don't be so sure. My OEM shocks went out at 75k miles, and their replacements when out at 130k miles. I replaced those with 5 year old remanufactured units which began to lose their shock absorbing abilities after 10k miles. Those were replaced with Arnott coilovers last week. That doesn't even take into account that the air compressor needed a piston rebuild last year, and who knows what else in the future. No more suspension failure on cold mornings for me!

Plus this car is awesome... why settle for less to save a few bucks...
It's definitely not just "a few bucks" when you're trying anything and everything to get rid of the Air Suspension Fault warning light, and even the dealer can't figure out what's wrong (after charging you $150 for his trouble, of course). So if you've got tons of money and time to spare, feel free.

Imanonamas (12-24-2022)
Old 10-02-2015, 09:30 AM
Received 126 Likes on 78 Posts

FWIW, I've ridden in an XJ with Arnott coilovers, we then drove my air ride XJ...we both commented that the coilover ride was a bit harsher, but certainly not the end of the world

XJ8JR (10-02-2015)
Old 10-02-2015, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

With 4 adults in my 2005 XJR it did not bottom out over bumps.

When driving hard around twisting roads, with no one else around, it hardly leans at all.

So very pleased with the original CATS system at 104,000.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:30 PM

I never had bottoming out issues with my air suspension either. When it worked it worked well.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:31 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone that went through with the coilovers keep the compressor for use on the tires. In other words can it be converted to a tire pump?

Old 10-09-2015, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by FabCat
Anyone that went through with the coilovers keep the compressor for use on the tires. In other words can it be converted to a tire pump?
I'm not sure if it can be done without rewiring. I just removed everything air related including the suspension module.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:53 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You would need a switch, gauge etc... Seems a shame to chuck it if it could still be of some use.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:57 PM

True, though you can sell the good components you remove. I made more than half of my cost of the conversion kit back selling parts.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have looked at a site called Suncore Industries.com for Xj6/Xj8 2004-2009 re-manufactured air shocks. Might want to take a lot.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:01 PM
Received 126 Likes on 78 Posts

Yes, if you've heard of anyone who's used these...let us know. I came across them in my research but very limited info. As others have pointed out, Arnott does not sell the remanufactured shocks anymore for our jaguars - I do wonder why, too many problems? ...which, if they don't want to deal with, makes me question if some smaller rebuilder is going to be a lot of pain with problems.

Old 11-06-2016, 12:37 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just in case you're uncertain about airspring options...

UNRIVALED. The BILSTEIN B4 air suspension module

fully explains the dilemma of keeping an air suspension.

If you go rebuilt..they don't touch the actual shock internals. (eech)

If you go Arnott, you don't get CATS (whats the point?)

If you go OE...you're gonna pay 4 GRAND for a full set of 4!!!! (OUCH!)

Now there is A LOT written on coilovers (basically S type R stock units) but you cant just bolt a set in...the upper mount bolt pattern wont fit. Some guys just make "new holes" in their aluminum chassis to make S type units fit....braver men then I. What the aftermarket companies do is make a top hat that will fit. but they don't use off the shelf Bilsteins from the S type R..they cheap out. Im working on a hybrid...ill post soon.

Sochi2014 has a really interesting option. scroll down this link for his post:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...n-79499/page3/

Quick Reply: Suspension Options Super Thread!