XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Tire Suggestions: 08 Vanden Plas

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Suggestions: 08 Vanden Plas

My tire shop is recommending new tires to resolve a wobbling issue at higher speeds.

Im looking for comfort in ride.

Here is what they suggested: Pirelli Cinturato P7 or Micellin Pilot Sport AS 3

I usually dont care but then again I've never own a European luxury car.

any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-26-2017, 08:37 AM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Depends on your driving needs.

Touring
High performance/ Summer Tire
All Season

check out tirerack.com for reviews.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:28 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am getting the Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+'s. I've always had a good ride and decent wear when using them on Mercedes S class (Heavy) cars. I currently have miss matched brands of Pirelli Cinturato P7's on the rear and Continental Extreme Contacts on the front. This is about third on my list of "things to do " to sort out the car. I have no experience with Jag XJ8's so I will be interested in the answers of others.

The following users liked this post:
jwburch21 (09-02-2017)
Old 08-26-2017, 10:37 AM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

The AS 3s are good tires. They are an all season tire made for rain and light snow. The design has a higher road noise than a Touring tire. They are a good choice for a combination winter tire and a performance tire.
Check the date codes on each tire. Do not accept manufactured tires older than 18 months old.
good luck.

jwburch21 (09-02-2017)
Old 08-26-2017, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by mberman
The AS 3s are good tires. They are an all season tire made for rain and light snow. The design has a higher road noise than a Touring tire. They are a good choice for a combination winter tire and a performance tire.
Check the date codes on each tire. Do not accept manufactured tires older than 18 months old.
good luck.
Agreed. I live in Murderland and the Middle Atlantic States get ice and snow.

jwburch21 (09-02-2017)
Old 08-26-2017, 08:20 PM
cjp
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Being an old curmudgeon and thinking I might show the car, I put a brand new set of the original Michelin HX MXM4 grand touring 18s back on the car when I got it, which are not the most modern or the grippiest, but suit it appearance-wise, are smooth and quiet, solid in the wet, and appear to last well, the originals still being on the car when I got it, at eleven years old and 50K miles. Cheap, they were not, so more modern tires will be more cost effective. TireRack put up a video comparing the Michelin Premier AS to the Pirelli Cinturato P7, Continental and Bridgestone when the Michelin's were new. TireRack found the Pirelli to be the smoothest today, but not so good in the wet as the Michelin.

jwburch21 (09-02-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 05:51 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 416 Posts

I currently run P-Zero All Season Plus. This is the most neutral tire I have run on any of my Jaguars, and can highly recommend them. Subtle understeer/oversteer issues with other tires at speed has disappeared with these. The wet performance is outstanding.

jwburch21 (09-02-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 12:54 PM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I run the BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S on my XJR. They are great in the wet & dry, and on par with the Conti DWS in the snow. Cheaper than the Michelin and Conti. Also made in the USA.

jwburch21 (09-02-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by JagsteRJX
I run the BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S on my XJR. They are great in the wet & dry, and on par with the Conti DWS in the snow. Cheaper than the Michelin and Conti. Also made in the USA.
I saw those at both Tirerack and Costco. I have never driven on BFGoodrich tires. They were highly rated by customer survey.

jwburch21 (09-02-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I only just realized that I have Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus 255/40R19 100W on the front and Bridgestone Potenza 255 40 R19 100W M + S on the rear.

I thought the were all Potenza.

In any case very pleased with grip and ride. I only drive on dry warmer days in the Winter.

I was checking the depth of tread on my rear tires the other day and was thinking that sometime next year I will need to replace them. The front are fine but now I have to decide on what to get.

Last edited by jackra_1; 08-27-2017 at 08:08 PM.
jwburch21 (09-02-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 10:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a wobble in the car for years (with its original 19" Sable chrome rims).

I've tried balancing, alignment, new summer tires, swapping out each wheel for the 5th spare wheel, finally getting 18" rims with winter tires (235/18 Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 XL)... nothing helped. There's still a vibration, some days it's almost not there, other days the car is shaking.

By now the only part I have not exchanged around the wheels are the axles - the part the holds the wheels onto the body. (Can those even get bent? On the other hand, I drive in Baltimore, and the streets are completely shot.)

Don't give up.

But to your question - the Bridgestones are OK. Not outstanding.

jwburch21 (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 12:42 AM
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I just put a set of Sumitomo HTR Z III tires on my XJR. I bought the car a few months ago and it had a set of Goodyear F1s on it, but they were so dry rotten that the front tires wouldn't hold air for more than a week and they hummed so bad that it sounded like the wheel bearings were going out. Now that the Sumitomos are on, the car is much quieter. The grip is amazing as well; I got the opportunity to test their grip in a panic stop in the rain today...

Old 09-02-2017, 02:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwburch21
My tire shop is recommending new tires to resolve a wobbling issue at higher speeds.

Im looking for comfort in ride.

Here is what they suggested: Pirelli Cinturato P7 or Micellin Pilot Sport AS 3

I usually dont care but then again I've never own a European luxury car.

any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
If you don't need Winter or All-Season tires, I can highly recommend the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. As a high performance Summer tire, it's completely useless in ANY kind of snow, but it has a great ride considering the 19" wheels, and the handling is great. I've just done the first 10000 Kilometer rotation and there is very little wear.

jwburch21 (09-03-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 02:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A warning from 2008 XJR, optional 19" wheels:

This car came with Pirelli P6s, a tire with no know merit and very noisy after 15,000 miles. I then replaced those tires with Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position "an ideal blend of ultra-high performance handling with the added benefits of enhanced wear and all-season traction. " Possibly true if you live in the tropics.

Noise: Not as quiet as Yokohama AVS DB which I had on a Infinity Q45. Much quieter than P6s. After about 17,000 miles they began to get noisy. Not bad but noticeable.

Wet roads and rain: When moderate temperatures they are unbelievably good, the best I have had in a long time.

Packed snow and ice: Terrible. Really bad. You have minimal traction and when you lose that you have next to none. In any direction. DCS is based on the idea that something has traction so it may or may not help. Think effortless spin out.

If you have to drive on snow or ice get something else.

On the Q 45 I had Michelin Pilot Alpine Sport winter H-rated tires which were quiet for a winter tire and really good overall. Much better that some Pirelli winter tires I had previously.