XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Transmission slipping in 2nd but no codes

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission slipping in 2nd but no codes

My 2005 Jaguar XJ8 has 188,000 miles on it. The engine runs great. But, my transmission started to slip when I would start from a stop and then again around 40 miles per hour. There weren't any codes showing. I immediately drove it to my mechanic (who doesn't normally work on Jags). With the number of miles on my car, and considering my options I asked him to rebuild my transmission. We ordered a master rebuild kit, new transmission oil, filter and pan, rebuilt torque converter and solenoids. However, I didn't think at the time to replace or rebuild my transmission valve body.

When my mechanic finished the work and returned the car to me it shifted better than when I first purchased the car. After a couple weeks however, it started to slip in second and go into limb mode. I immediately returned the car and he started trying to figure out the problem. He's an excellent mechanic but admits that he's having trouble figuring out what's wrong with my car. Again, there weren't any codes showing. He ended up putting another known good used transmission into my car.

It drove fine for about a week or so and then started doing the same thing as my original transmission. After my research online, I was thinking I really should replace or rebuild the valve body. He's thinking it's due to the transmission control module...since both transmissions have similar problems. He told me that he reset the module and the transmission worked fine for a week or two and then started having problems again. He's frustrated and I want my car fixed. He's not charging me for any of this troubleshooting time. But, if anyone can give me some guidance for him, it would really be appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-11-2018, 04:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 621 Posts

I see that you are in California which is where the ctsc is located
About Us: Genuine ZF Parts

The may advise you (email) also Zf in germany will also give advice

https://www.zf.com/mobile/en/homepage/homepage.html

Search this forum using google for more info