XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Upper and and lower grille - anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default Upper and and lower grille - anyone??

Ok so I've had my XJ for a little over 3 years now, one of the first things I noticed and attended too were the imperfect grilles, just a little dirtier than I would have liked, so got them all cleaned up.

I was having my oil changed a few days ago and noticed that the lower grille was again getting a little dirty once more.
To be clear, they're washed as part of the cleaning process EVERY time, but I guess that only goes so far....

So tomorrow I'm hoping to do this along with a few other things.
She's sitting at present, really messed up having done 500 miles these past few days AND into see a few customers. She looks like she's been rallying / racing with mud sung up the haunches front n back, a thousand midgies / flies on the bumper, number plate and windscreen, a real mess.

The thought process is if, time allows......
Tomorrow.....Get the hubs and calipers cleaned properly and wheels don't all the way through, exhaust tips as well. Hoping to be able to clean the interior and give her a going over to freshen up as best I can, probably windows cleaned inside n out too al being well. The engine bay is pretty sorted but a quick going over will see it ok for Sunday hopefully.

But.....The grilles will be the thing getting my main attention, especially the lower of the two
I'll use a 1" paintbrush and some APC or perhaps Sonax Full effect cleaner and perhaps Fairy liquid as a degreaser along with HOT water. Take a little time and get into ALL the little squares of the mesh individually and remove the built up grime that's attached over time

Assuming that gets done, it'll leave Saturday for a wash and dry of the overall car, then maybe some PB Blackhole to tidy up the paintwork so she looks her best

Its either that or show up Sunday as is and get slated

Looking forward to seeing you all then
Jim

Old 07-13-2017, 10:26 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

I am suddenly feeling so lucky that I only have one mesh grill and so far miraculously its seems to be staying clean :-) I wish you luck with it Jim.. It's got to be a toss up between trying to do it in situ or removing it and just soaking it overnight in a degreaser?

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

I have to clean my mesh at least once a year. A bucket of soapy water, the coarse side of a sponge and some elbow grease does the trick. Easier to remove them first obviously. You don't notice how dirty they've gotten until you see the clean bits hiding behind the grille surround.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (07-13-2017)