XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Window won't close

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 09:52 AM
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Window won't close

Hi All
My X350s latest peculiarity is to not allow me to close the passenger ( Left side) front window. The window opens with no problem from either switch or by using the window opening feature on the key fob. When closing however if I fiddle with one of the switches it closes a bit at a time. Holding the switch in the close position has no effect but sort of tickling it produces random jerky movements in the close direction.
The wiring diagram shows a motor regulator and a position sensor but gives no indication as to where they are.( maybe combined with the motor)
It seems to be a switched earth arrangement so my next move is to take the door card off and jump an earth lead directly to the motor terminal to prove the switches.
Any ideas and theories most welcome.

Pete

Old 04-13-2017, 11:52 AM
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

I had a problem with the left side window due to the regulator cable failure. Interestingly I had similar symptoms until the cable finally broke. I found the Service Manual is pretty easy to follow and works well for removing the window regulator, motor and glass.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:37 AM

I've convinced myself that the fault lies with something being tight or on the point of seizing. Would explain your broken cable Six Rotors. If it stops raining for long enough I'll show it who's boss.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:00 AM
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

Maybe, but the cable was corroded. I posted pics in my write up.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:58 PM

Replacement regulator/motor unit fitted today and everything in the garden is rosy.

Every moving part in sight lubed up and it's working fine. Replacement cost £34 inc postage from jagpartseurope and fitting was fairly straightforward,

Now what's next?