XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

x350 timing cover removal - I cant free up the RH side by the AC compressor

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 02:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question x350 timing cover removal - I cant free up the RH side by the AC compressor

Howdy,
My x350 has a blown head gasket and I decided to change it myself. ( I had already done a similar job on a Mercedes, so I have a general understanding of what it takes.

On my prep work, I got the manual (6000 pages) and read the instructions, purchased the gaskets, timing lock tools etc.

What have I done so far? All Valve covers are off, harmonic balancer off, steering pump off BUT on the RH side of the engine where the AC compressor is located, I can’t figure out how to free up the AC support (with that support in place the timing cover won’t move a hair...)

All I really want is to remove the timing cover buy I must be missing something. I did remove 3 screws that attach the compressor to the engine.
Can anyone tell me the steps to remove the Timing cover specifically on the compressor side which just don’t move

Do I need to remove the AC compressor all the way? (I hope not).

Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated

Old 07-30-2017, 01:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Front cover removed...

There was a bolt I had not seen for which you need to move the AC compressor 1-2 inches. I didn't realize about the location of this bolt as there is no space to look and no space to work on.

The AC compressor has to be moved a bit, even though on the manual it says REMOVE COMPRESSOR (recover refrigerant etc.). I didn't have to do that but just move it 2 inches, find the bolt and remove it. (Special tool needed).

1 or 2 phrases of wisdom would've made a huge difference. I will need to work on my writing skills as I didn’t get any answers. I am not a mechanic so what can be obvious to many in a forum may not be so crystal clear to new DIYs in Jags.

Needless to say that If I had followed the instructions in the manual I would have (unnecessarily) removed the compressor and that makes a HUGE difference in time and $.

So... at least for my x350 no removal is needed and the (dumb) question is resolved. Thread closed.

The following users liked this post:
XJ8JR (07-31-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 01:31 PM
Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

You need to move the compressor which way? Up, down, out ?

Old 07-30-2017, 05:59 PM
Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Judaji: You have over 350 views - so people are interested but don't know the answer. I looked at the post to find the answer in the event I need it in the future.

Your pictures are great. Every piece of info you learn and can post will help others.

You mention "special tool needed" Where, why and what does it look like.

Keep it coming - you are the pioneer.

The following users liked this post:
judaji (07-30-2017)