XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

XJ TDVI 2006 Air Suspension Fault

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ TDVI 2006 Air Suspension Fault

Hi all out there, first post here so here goes!

I'm hoping someone can give some advise on this as it seems to have stumped Jaguar themselves as well as my local dealer.

I've had an intermittent "Air Suspension Fault" warning for the last few months. The dealer so far has replaced 2 Ride height Sensors, the Suspension Control Module, physically checked all air lines, compressors, shocks and been in constant contact with Jaguar Head office but this fault remains illusive.

The first time it faulted the offside rear suspension raised to a max height and was rock solid, the second time the other side seemed to be at its lowest height with the other 3 shocks appearing normal.

They've had the car in the workshop for 8 weeks now and still no sign of it coming home soon!

Anyone heard of anything like this before?

Thanks all.....

Old 06-18-2017, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 740 Likes on 623 Posts

I am not surprised.

I have read this post before, was it on the UK forum?

For God's sake take the car off them ASAP.

Have the codes read and report them here.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

The only way I know of getting a definitive answer is to grab the codes while the fault is present. That is easier said than done with an intermittent fault.

It sounds like the dealer has looked at the codes and replaced any module/part that relates. Im not sure from your post if they have done any investigation other than inspection of parts.

It does sound like an electrical fault. Possibly in the harness to the height sensors or earths. It could also be the valve block.

Can you get the codes that were present and post them?
Do you have any more information you can add?

One thing does come to mind is the front earth points (G1, G2, G3)
At some point you will need to deal with these anyway so I would upgrade them now so you can discount this as a factor.

The headlamps and compressor use these points. If you have
If you have HID headlamps disconnect them, this will produce and "Air Suspension fault" but dont worry. See if this triggers the issue.

Check the earth G17 in the cabin. This is the earth for the ASM and valve block.

With the valve block it is possible a valve is sticking open. The way to confirm this is via the valve block harness. When the fault occurs check the pin for the strut that is extended. It should not read 0 volts. Each solenoid has power all the time and is grounded via the asm when in operation. What you are looking for is an un-commanded movement indicating the valve is sticking. The next way to confirm it is to remove the air hoses and fit a ball valve to each one. You can get push in ball valves cheaply. Lock off each shock which will prevent movement. Every now and then open the valves and see what happens. IF you get the fault while stopped a valve is sticking pen.

With the codes some are generated as messages, some sa mil lights and others as both. You did not state if you got a mill lamp and what colour.

Finally the dealer has replaced a number of parts that have not resolved the issue. The ASM module in particular is not cheep. It is fair to pay for there labor but I would not be paying for an ASM that is not needed.

If it was my car id be getting it back, upgrade the earths and do some fault finding. Even if you get the dealer to fix the fault do some more work
yourself or it will become an open checkbook for the dealer

Cheers
34by151

The following 2 users liked this post by 34by151:
Jaguarpaul99 (06-19-2017), paydase (06-19-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by meirion1
I am not surprised.

I have read this post before, was it on the UK forum?

For God's sake take the car off them ASAP.

Have the codes read and report them here.
Not me I'm afraid, first post today. Probably main dealers going along the same route sadly.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by 34by151
The only way I know of getting a definitive answer is to grab the codes while the fault is present. That is easier said than done with an intermittent fault.

It sounds like the dealer has looked at the codes and replaced any module/part that relates. Im not sure from your post if they have done any investigation other than inspection of parts.

It does sound like an electrical fault. Possibly in the harness to the height sensors or earths. It could also be the valve block.

Can you get the codes that were present and post them?
Do you have any more information you can add?

One thing does come to mind is the front earth points (G1, G2, G3)
At some point you will need to deal with these anyway so I would upgrade them now so you can discount this as a factor.

The headlamps and compressor use these points. If you have
If you have HID headlamps disconnect them, this will produce and "Air Suspension fault" but dont worry. See if this triggers the issue.

Check the earth G17 in the cabin. This is the earth for the ASM and valve block.

With the valve block it is possible a valve is sticking open. The way to confirm this is via the valve block harness. When the fault occurs check the pin for the strut that is extended. It should not read 0 volts. Each solenoid has power all the time and is grounded via the asm when in operation. What you are looking for is an un-commanded movement indicating the valve is sticking. The next way to confirm it is to remove the air hoses and fit a ball valve to each one. You can get push in ball valves cheaply. Lock off each shock which will prevent movement. Every now and then open the valves and see what happens. IF you get the fault while stopped a valve is sticking pen.

With the codes some are generated as messages, some sa mil lights and others as both. You did not state if you got a mill lamp and what colour.

Finally the dealer has replaced a number of parts that have not resolved the issue. The ASM module in particular is not cheep. It is fair to pay for there labor but I would not be paying for an ASM that is not needed.

If it was my car id be getting it back, upgrade the earths and do some fault finding. Even if you get the dealer to fix the fault do some more work
yourself or it will become an open checkbook for the dealer

Cheers
34by151
Thanks for the reply, very interesting especially the part about the HID lights. I've had an intermittent fault on and off for a while, One light goes out and occasionally takes a few attempts to come back on.
If they share the sane eart point!?

The cars still under jaguar extended warranty so I'm stuck with the main dealer.
If I didn't have that it would be in an independent garage.
The warranty had covered everything so far luckily.

They picked up codes for a ride height sensor and the control module only. They've said the new module isn't talking to the car!?

Mind if I pass since of your suggestions to them.... Can't harm

Old 06-18-2017, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

If the new ASM is not talking either it is faulty or they have not flashed it correctly
You cant just swap modules between cars

Re the headlamps
Passenger side (RHD) has one earth that is used by the HID and compressor
Drivers side has 2 earths

I drilled a hole next to the old earth lugs. On the side with 2 earths I drilled between them. Use M8 Stainless bolt with washers either side of the body. Tighten it up with a nut. Now you have a new set of lugs. Add another washer and move the cables over, add another washer and nut and your all done.

When I did mine I also added a short cable to the old lugs just for good measure.

Re you lamps its most likely its the lamps but doing the earths will take that out of the equation. Id tackle the earths first then the globes and if all else fails the ballasts.

I doubt the dealer will do the earths for you under warranty.
Id get the codes from them and post them here.
Take the car back and do the earths then see how things go
If it is still an issue take it back

We really need to know the codes before we can offer more help

Cheers
34by151

The following 2 users liked this post by 34by151:
Jaguarpaul99 (06-19-2017), paydase (06-19-2017)