XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

xj8 4.2 lwb faults/codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question xj8 4.2 lwb faults/codes

Hi

Fantastic site !!!!first post here.

Bought an xj8 4.2 lwb 2005 228000 miles and converted to LPG 5 years ago ,full of faults (like a challenge, jag daft,no just daft) a big thanks to everyone on this site xx,trawled through for weeks,

Ok, when I first got the car ABS fault,air suspension fault,restricted performance,etc

When I put the windscreen wipers on the engine cut out and said low brake fluid ,which wasn't, fix for this was strip abs unit and fuse/relay box clean off corrosion ,particularly bad on abs unit also clean electrical board inside fuse/relay box,on doing this found one of the main earth leads broken off(probably the main problem,oh well found that last) re-earthed and checked the rest,problems solved !!!

Second problem,air suspension fault the light came on(after a lot of reading its a mileage thing 1.6 kms or 1 mile or viseversa)

So stripped down the compressor as they seem to be the first thing to go(mate of mine has 4.2 range rover £500 lighter for same compressor) and nothing to lose,what a mess of corrosion inside and out,main problem not snapping any bolts,lots of wd40, heat,gentle persuasion,swearing,moaning to any one that would listen,wd40 etc finally stripped down,shimmed the piston ring with some fine copper braided de-solder wire(don't ask seemed the best thing at the time),spring was also rusted and weak,replaced with the spring from my torch (perfect fit ??go figure)

Thoroughly cleaned, emerycloth, wd40, tlc etc

By the time I was finished 6 hours later wasnt really caring if it worked or not lol

So drove the car down the street,Fantastic suspension fault gone !!!!!!

So far all is well in the suspension department !!

Now all the faults i have left are parking sensors(not had time yet to bodge did hear mondeo ones were the same) and ECU faults which are the ones i am tackling just now,bought myself an obd ii bluetooth adapter and have the torque app on my phone.

Anyone want to know more about my fixes just ask.

So my first post question ???

codes p0300 random misfire,p0302,04,06,08,misfire,p1314 misfire cat damage bank2,p1316misfire excess emission,p0430 cat system eff below threshhold bank 2,p0171 system too lean,p1000 system check not complete.

Car is a tiny bit lumpy when cold on tickover otherwise runs great on petrol or LPG.

I have changed new plugs,swopped over the ignition coils to opposite banks(4 were new 4 old)swopped over the o2 sensors to opposite banks and basically same faults appear ??

Has anyone any experience of this or ideas .

Old 04-16-2013, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 622 Posts

How much did you pay for the Jag?......10 GBP? LOL

I can't help with the misfire but congratulations on the compressor job!

Yes Mondeo sensors are the same-there are supposed to be inners and outers but I am not convinced.

BTW Mondeo door locks/actuators fit too.

How would we manage without these forums?

Old 04-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I know they are top class,i did get the car cheap so it was worth the risk lol

Old 04-18-2013, 11:13 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

lots of misfires, using torque, you can at least watch the fuel trims. However, for those upstream 02 sensors, in order to determine if they're reading correctly, or your cats may already be toast...you'll need a more advanced scanner. I used AutoEnginuity to look at the voltage of the upstream and diagnosed the cat at fault, rather than the sensor after I swapped it over, and the same bank showed a poor voltage reading (WAY above 0.1V IIRC, which is normal)