XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

1995 XJ6 Will not start!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is going to sound unusual, but while trying to figure out why mine won't turn over after replacing the electrical harness, I was directed to a reset under the glove box in the back corner of the kick board on the passenger side. This is a shut of to protect things from happening when something goes wrong. pull out the trim kick board, and you will see a small 3x3 black box, feel the top of the silver cylinder on top of it, (3 wires coming out of this). there is a soft black gasket on top of this, push down, if it clicks you have reset it, then try to turn over. If it doesn't click, tap it lightly on the side with handle of screwdriver etc.(NOT TOO HARD) you will hear a balance spin and the button will release for resetting. Hope this helps. If not...can I buy your right fender Electrical Harness...LOL I might need one...

Old 12-17-2013, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jag won't start

Here is what I found. The jag would crank, but it would not start. So, this is what I did:

1. Spark plugs had spark and smelled of fuel
2. added propane to system, still would not start
3. Fuel pump turned on for 2 secs when key was on so I suspected that the fuel pump worked.
4. Checked for fuel in the line and found that it was present
5. I determine that there was too much fuel in the system so I disconnected the fuel pump relay and cranked the motor, after a few turns it fired up.
6. I reinserted the fuel pump relay and the engine ran fine.

Apparently the engine was flooded! The whole even cost me 0 dollars (really weird for a jag repair), and about 3 days of scratching my head. Oh, and when you take the battery out of the car....DON'T CLOSE THE TRUNK! That mistake cost me a coat hanger and many frustrating hours until I just cut a whole behind the license plate ...that worked!

Old 12-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by huntj
Here is what I found. The jag would crank, but it would not start. So, this is what I did:

1. Spark plugs had spark and smelled of fuel
2. added propane to system, still would not start
3. Fuel pump turned on for 2 secs when key was on so I suspected that the fuel pump worked.
4. Checked for fuel in the line and found that it was present
5. I determine that there was too much fuel in the system so I disconnected the fuel pump relay and cranked the motor, after a few turns it fired up.
6. I reinserted the fuel pump relay and the engine ran fine.

Apparently the engine was flooded! The whole even cost me 0 dollars (really weird for a jag repair), and about 3 days of scratching my head.
If you suspect the engine is flooded, the easiest way to restart is to crank the engine while the accelerator is pushed all the way to the floor. In this condition the ECM cuts off the injectors and after a few moments the engine will catch as the excess fuel is burned off.