XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

96' Jaguar XJR Supercharged won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96' Jaguar XJR Supercharged won't start!

Fellow Jaguar Lovers, my cat will not start. My car has never done this before, I drove the car one day, the next morning, I put the key in the door and only the drivers side door unlocked. I put the kety in the ingnition, steering wheel adjusted, the dash lit up as normal, windows worked, sunroof worked, radio comes on, car didnt crank up. She was dead! I tested the battery and it had 0 volts. I buy a new battery, put that battery in and I hear a ticking sound from the trunk by the battery. I think nothing of it and the car starts back up like normal. I turned the car off and went into the house. a few hours later I notice the lights flicking on an off a couple times, I go back outside, try to start the car up and its dead again. I take the battery back to get tested, and it is a good battery. I exchanged that battery for a brand new one again, go home, install and the car is dead!

do I need to change the starter? do I have an electrical problem? Why am I not getting enough power through the car to start it up? Please Help, I love my car!

Old 08-20-2010, 10:29 AM

Sounds like an electrical problem of some sort i have an XJR and it has trouble starting like that some times but never killing the battery.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you started the car on the last ocassion and then turned it off again without letting the engine warm up properly, the engine may have gone into a flooded engine mode.
If so, this will not clear unless you turn the engine over while holding the accelerator hard to the floor...engine should cough back into life...worth a try before getting carried away with testing other components.
This happened to me when a locksmith was testing a newly cut key, and the car hadn't warmed up properly. Quite a well documented condition with these cars.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by gambeezy3000
Fellow Jaguar Lovers, my cat will not start. My car has never done this before, I drove the car one day, the next morning, I put the key in the door and only the drivers side door unlocked. I put the kety in the ingnition, steering wheel adjusted, the dash lit up as normal, windows worked, sunroof worked, radio comes on, car didnt crank up. She was dead! I tested the battery and it had 0 volts. I buy a new battery, put that battery in and I hear a ticking sound from the trunk by the battery. I think nothing of it and the car starts back up like normal. I turned the car off and went into the house. a few hours later I notice the lights flicking on an off a couple times, I go back outside, try to start the car up and its dead again. I take the battery back to get tested, and it is a good battery. I exchanged that battery for a brand new one again, go home, install and the car is dead!

do I need to change the starter? do I have an electrical problem? Why am I not getting enough power through the car to start it up? Please Help, I love my car!

Turn the key "on" , apply the brake, and run the gearshift back and forth a couple times, briskly. Now see if she'll start.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagqueen
If you started the car on the last ocassion and then turned it off again without letting the engine warm up properly, the engine may have gone into a flooded engine mode.
If so, this will not clear unless you turn the engine over while holding the accelerator hard to the floor...engine should cough back into life...worth a try before getting carried away with testing other components.
This happened to me when a locksmith was testing a newly cut key, and the car hadn't warmed up properly. Quite a well documented condition with these cars.

Yes, but this muddies the water a bit. Gambeezy has an inoperative starter.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Turn the key "on" , apply the brake, and run the gearshift back and forth a couple times, briskly. Now see if she'll start.

Cheers
DD

Silly me, I hit the "submit" button before I was done.

If the car now starts you have a problem with the linear switch at the gearshift.

However, the lights blinking suggests a problem with the security system. I've never had to dig into those circuits so I'm not much help. Sorry.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-23-2010, 08:15 AM

My car will not make any sound at all. the only thing that turns on in the engine compartment is the radiator fan. The doors will not unlock automatically, the car will not even try to turn over, I cant even put the car in neutral. Has ther security system locked my car down? is there a way to reset the system?