XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

'97 X300/XJ6 front end issues developing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97 X300/XJ6 front end issues developing?

New Jag owner here. When going over rough road, front driver side suspension makes a thump/clacking sound like something in the suspension is bottoming out prematurely. I'm thinking lower shock bushings and have the new parts to repair. Have had the car for 3 weeks, and has done it since I bought it, and seems to be getting worse and more noticeable. It has KYB shocks up front, doesn't look like the rears were touched. Upper bushings, which look like the ones that come with this manufacture of shock seem to check out fine. Steering suspension parts are sealed units and seem to check out fine, no noticeable loosness when jacked up and checked for excess movement. Put new Granada Performance Plus tires on her last week. Starting to notice a mild vibration through steering wheel at about 70 mph.

Suggestions and like experiences welcome. I'm a home mechanic and very adept and adequate once the actual problem is diagnosed.

Thank you. This site rates #1 thus far. Haven't found it to be snobby or Jag OEM beligerant!

Steven

Old 05-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Those lower shocks bushings are a known problem and I think you're on the right track.....if nothing they're as good a place to start as any.

How many miles on the car? Just wondering.

I'm sure you've considered a wheel balance issue with respect to your vibration. Another thing to check is the front wheel bearings. Since you just bought the car you'll probably want to clean and repack the bearings anyway.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-05-2012, 09:08 PM

Thanks Doug. I've seen you on here alot, read alot of your posts. I appreciate your willingness and diligence to input and reply man! The car itself has 222000 on it, the motor and trans were rebuilt 70000 miles ago. Car seems to have been maintained very well in out under and over. All the electronics work perfect. Everything under the hood is brand new with the rebuild. I was specifically looking for this year span and model cause they reviewed the best. Getting accurate repair/parts info has been a bit amuzing at best, it seems like we have the Ford/GM battle going on in Jag Lover World regarding OEM/Aftermarket. But all you experienced guys seem to emphasize research. So here I am. Put performance tires on it (V rated) because the price wasn't very different from lower rated tires, unless one went really low end. Boy, the opinions out there regarding tires for Jags!! Les Schwab sold and installed, so I would assume they balanced them correctly, but the vibration did just occur after this... so maybe I'll go back.
I received with the car a black key and the green valet key, not fob or extra key. Would like to get a fob and extra key. Even the dealers here are confused as to how to go about this...! Amuzing in the least....
Will be in touch. Thanks for posting. Very much appreciated. Will probably attack the bushing job next weekend, sun is finally out here in the North West, so will be driving her and enjoying it! Was considering just replacing the shocks altogether to eliminate this piece of it...they're relatively inexpensive.
Take care and God bless.
Steven

Old 05-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Kryarwolf11
Thanks Doug. I've seen you on here alot, read alot of your posts. I appreciate your willingness and diligence to input and reply man! The car itself has 222000 on it,

That very big mileage for Jaguar suspension bushings. Jag favored soft-ish bushings to help with their NVH control. They often start showing enough wear to warrant replacment at half that mileage

Getting accurate repair/parts info has been a bit amuzing at best, it seems like we have the Ford/GM battle going on in Jag Lover World regarding OEM/Aftermarket. But all you experienced guys seem to emphasize research. So here I am.

Yeah you have to pick-n-choose carefully. Even some of the better Jag vendors sell no-name parts so you have to ask for higher grade options.

One thing every can agree on, I think, is to stay away from Beck Arnlet ignition coils :-)

Put performance tires on it (V rated) because the price wasn't very different from lower rated tires, unless one went really low end. Boy, the opinions out there regarding tires for Jags!!

Yup! Not to mention engine oil, spark plugs, and high octane fuel :-)

Les Schwab sold and installed, so I would assume they balanced them correctly, but the vibration did just occur after this... so maybe I'll go back.

I would go back, yes. Sometimes a balance job gets flubbed. I had new tires isntalled a couple months ago and had to go back. They admitte that a couple were improperly balanced. It happens.

I received with the car a black key and the green valet key, not fob or extra key. Would like to get a fob and extra key. Even the dealers here are confused as to how to go about this...! Amuzing in the least....

To some Jag dealers the X300s are dinosaurs. There are several great Jag techs on this board who can help.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-06-2012, 04:06 PM

Thanks again DD. Much appreciate your sincerety and forwardness. Will try to remember that regarding Beck Arnlet ignition coils.

Steven Christensne
Whatcom county, Washington USA
1997 X300/XJ6