XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

97 XJ6 hit a bad bump and won't do anything

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 XJ6 hit a bad bump and won't do anything

I was going down the road and didn't see a small but deep pothole in the semidarkness of dawn. Now it won't start, wont even try to start. It's dead on the key.

I accidentally posted in the classics forum and they mentioned the inertia switch. It is not in the passenger door. After checking with google on my phone, I checked what I assume is the passenger kick board, the plastic panel under the dashboard against the right hand wall to find the computer and connectors. I checked the driver side to find a few hidden relays but nothing resembling a black box with a kill switch. I even saw a mention on this very forum of a beauty board but I cannot locate anything. One post on yahoo answers suggested behind and to the left and a little above of the brake pedal

Can anyone show me a picture of the actual location of the switch plus the switch itself? This is the American model, not the British. Please?

Old 04-20-2017, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Forward of the ECU on the right passenger right foot behind the small sidewall cover , it can be jumpered with the 2 white wires . Works fine . Ask if any further questions

Thanks , Joe

Attached Thumbnails 97 XJ6 hit a bad bump and won't do anything-jaguar-switch-untitled.png  
Old 04-20-2017, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ah thank you so much, the only image of that I found was very tiny and barely readable. The gas pedal threw me off too. The switch was up, I pushed it down and it clicked into place.

It turned out to be also a bad instrument/radio relay as well. We switched it out for the brake relay and VROOOM! it worked like a charm.

Thank you so much!