Old 03-06-2015, 03:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add power x300 3.2.

Hello everyone.

I'd like add power at my car x300 3.2.
Approximately 50 cv.
How do I do? What is the easy solution?
Is there a guide for it?

Don't talk me the XJR6 please because I like it and I do not have it.

Thanks

Old 03-06-2015, 11:35 AM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

Genza,
I think you will struggle to easily add 50 horsepower to a 3.2 without major effort.
However if you add Andy Stoddart's bracket (see thread about DIY performance in this X300 section) and either take off the restrictive pipe into the airfilter box, or replace the airfilter box with a cone filter, it really improves the 3.2
I cant tell you horsepower increase, not much perhaps 10 bhp.
But midrange response is vastly better, and livelier.
The bracket advances the cranksensor about 3 degress and 'tricks' the ECU into sparking earlier - ie: it shifts the whole ignition curve 3'. this makes a good difference.

Also, If you find you have to push the accelerator to the floor to get the auto to kick downa gear, it is easy to adjust the kickdown cable so it responds at half throttle.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:35 PM

Thanks!

I'm sorry,
I meant to easily a kit already tested, something already tested and not experimental (perhaps he will be very expensive).

I mounted a bracket which advanced by 5 'and I drove without air filter but I have not found any difference .... and here you are the thread.
Does The cone filter not suck hot air from the engine?

Old 03-06-2015, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

There is no single off-shelf "kit" that will give you major improvements. Follow AL's advice, the combination of the revised CS bracket and a direct air intake are very worthy modifications. Read through the thread, it is very long but contains much information about both.

XJRengineer's bracket is tested and proven, it is well beyond the experimental stage and is not expensive. The direct air intake is best fitted with a heat shield to minimise hot air flow into the cone.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...engines-66536/

Old 03-06-2015, 11:49 PM
Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

There are NOT ANY easy modification to add 50 ps to a normal aspiration cars. If it is a supercharged or turbocharged car, there are some ways to add power like that, but NONE to the NA cars.

In Japan it is often said that you will need 10k yen to add 1 ps. Theoretically you will need 500k yen, I mean approx 4-5000 USD to add 50 horses to your car.

It seems you have already put on Andy's timing advancing crank sensor bracket and felt any deference, but I think it's because you removed the air filter. It reduces low end torque significantly, so usually it makes a car slower when accelerated. Of course the top end power will be gained. So if you didn't notice a difference, that means the bracket was effective. Without it you must have felt that your car became slow.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:27 AM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by genza
Hello everyone.

I'd like add power at my car x300 3.2.
Approximately 50 cv.
How do I do? What is the easy solution?
Is there a guide for it?

Don't talk me the XJR6 please because I like it and I do not have it.

Thanks
where did you down load the horse being spank?
just give your car a proper preventive maintenance and a GOOD tune up, clean ETA, don't expect anything more than what the car was build for, be happy it is running and not in any trouble.

Last edited by cool; 03-07-2015 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by cool

where did you down load the horse being spank?

It is one of the built-in forum emoticons you can select when creating/editing a message.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:07 PM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
It is one of the built-in forum emoticons you can select when creating/editing a message.

mine don't have it.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:42 AM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

you're all going off-topic with this emoticon crap..!

My 3.2 X300 is running beautifully at the moment.
It is hot here, 26-28'C, and I have clocked up 150 miles this weekend buzzing around my area, alot of it on the open road at 60-70 mph. The air con is degassed and off at present, and I have averaged 25 mpg (imperial gallons) , about 11-12 L/100km. I think that is testimony to Andy's bracket and better filter flow (I have a K&N pod).
And I have not spared the horses with my size 12 foot.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:31 AM

The emoticon is just a metaphor: I am the horse that is beaten by my contradictions: I bought a 3.2 ... but I'm not happy because I was expecting something more from a 211hp, this is due to my ignorance of the brand.

I expected answers like:

you can add this supercharger;
you can change the camshafts;
see this website because they sell kits for tuning the engine ...

I hope not to offend any puritanical of the brand ... otherwise I'M IN THE WRONG PLACE.
In conclusion I will try to anticipate even more the timing of the engine and to find other solutions...

Thank you all.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Talking

The emoticon is just a metaphor: I am the horse that is beaten by my contradictions: I bought a 3.2 ... but I'm not happy because I was expecting something more from a 211hp, this is due to my ignorance of the brand.

I expected answers like:

you can add this supercharger;
you can change the camshafts;
see this website because they sell kits for tuning the engine ...

I hope not to offend any puritanical of the brand ... otherwise I'M IN THE WRONG PLACE.
In conclusion I will try to anticipate even more the timing of the engine and to find other solutions...

Thank you all.
I don't think you are at risk of offense by asking reasonable questions, and I haven't gotten the impression anyone here is puritanical about the brand .... just enthusiastic

I will say however that there is a wealth of information here and the search function is your friend

The 3.2 was the lower performance version of X300 (relatively speaking, although 200+HP is nothing to dismiss), and its a heavy car in any configuration, so one has to adjust their expectations accordingly.

Even the supercharged X300 4.0 XJR while fast, is not furiously quick like a light sports car. It's forte is luxury GT driving, not supercar or muscle car performance.

As mentioned above, the market for performance "bolt on HP" or "kits" for the X300 is pretty limited. There were probably more at one time, but I suspect there never were many. But after 20 years and a relatively low volume (as compared to say, a Honda Civic) the number of vendors still making anything for the X300 has dwindled.

And after 20 years, and the aforementioned low production numbers, it is unlikely that many (any?) new products for the X300 are in the pipeline except for cottage industry items like Andy's products.

So don't take the lack of options or suggestions as a negative, just for what it is.

That being said, there are several 3.2 owners here that have improved the handling and performance of theirs apparently quite satisfactorily.

Good luck!

Old 03-08-2015, 04:02 PM

The emoticon is just a metaphor: I am the horse that is beaten by my contradictions: I bought a 3.2 ... but I'm not happy because I was expecting something more from a 211hp, this is due to my ignorance of the brand. I expected answers like: you can add this supercharger; you can change the camshafts; see this website because they sell kits for tuning the engine ... I hope not to offend any puritanical of the brand ... otherwise I'M IN THE WRONG PLACE. In conclusion I will try to anticipate even more the timing of the engine and to find other solutions... Thank you all.
To add a supercharger you will have to change the compression ratio, which means you need to change the piston.
Changing cam shafts won't help much, it just changes the power band, not the actual power.
Totally and eventually, to pull out the power from an NA engine is really difficult.
You said you don't want to go for an XJR but it is much cheaper to change the car than do such modifications as above, actually. Sadly it's the fact.

As mentioned above, there are little market for tuning Jags, especially when it comes to X300s. So you will have to ask custom shop and have them fabricate everything from the scratch, thus you need much budget.

I have never done this before but the fastest X300 would be an XJR with a diff from 3.2 sport and a larger crank pulley to spin SC faster.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

I wholly agree. People in this forum are a wealth of information and always eager to help, but sometimes there is a limit to what's possible. You are in the right place here, even if it means discovering that there are no miracle performance improvement options.

That said, the 3.2 is a very sweet engine, it has a reputation for smoothness, strength and reliability. With the shorter stroke it's just a little lazier (less stressed in my book). Mine has been enhanced enormously by making the small modifications already discussed here, plus a few regular "servicing" items such as:

Full synthetic engine oil (oil & filter changed every 3,000km)
Full synthetic trans fluid
Clean throttle body
Good spark plugs (I stay with Champions)
Clean crank breather (with oil separator installed to keep it that way)

I drive an X300 4.0 occasionally and I can honestly say that any performance difference is negligible, so little in fact that it never occurs to me to compare. My sweet 3.2 may be better maintained, but she moves well and will keep up with the 4.0 all day long.

The following users liked this post:
MikeyB10 (03-20-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

Genza,
I was going to echo the points made above regarding improving the performance of your 3.2, but one wild thought struck me: the Aston Martin DB7 was fitted with what was essentially a supercharged jaguar 3.2......
I can't remember off hand whether it was an AJ16 based engine, but it was a straight 6, and would certainly be a conversation piece if you could pull it off. Just in case you have other things to do with your life, an XJR would be a more economic and potent solution to your desire for more performance.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:23 PM

Precisely, Aston's 3.2 was based on AJ6. It has distributor system instead of direct ignition system.
So it won't be a straight swap, it is much easier to put in an AJ16 from an XJR.

BTW the trans 4HP22 can only handle 380Nm of torque, which can easily be exceeded when the engine is swapped/supercharged or whatever. So the trans has to be changed too.
"Tuning" is, when you change something you have to adjust other parts...