XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Advice on possible XJR6 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on possible XJR6 purchase

Hey everyone,

I've wanted an X308 XJR for a while now, but the late production cars are still a bit out of my range at the moment. Just came across this XJR6:

200,000KMs on her.

My main concern is reliability. I've heard tons of horror stories about the X308 XJR - tensioners, water pumps, nikasil issues, etc. How is the X306 as far as reliability and running costs/repairs are concerned?

Thank you.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

In many ways the XJR6 is the better of the beasts. The AJ16 engine is pretty much bullet proof. As long as it has a good service history there really is no need to worry about the engine.

It was unfortunate how the 4.0 V8 turned out initially in the X308. There was a lot of forward thinking in the design of the engine. BMW's of the same era had similar problems as far as the Nikasil lining's, but the chain tensioners were another story. I personally wouldn't let either problem keep me from buying the X308 as long as the tensioners were replaced.

Like I said though the AJ16 engine is one of the best ones that Jaguar built. The predecessor the AJ6 and the AJ16 itself would run forever. Mine saw 260k miles before my car got totaled. I'd just give the electrics a good going over to make sure everything works.

Good luck on your purchase!

Old 11-11-2010, 05:50 PM

Solid advice and info, thank you!

I was definitely plannnig on checking out all of the electronics before purchase. I'm hearing a lot about the seats failing in one way or another.

Anything drivetrain related that I should look out for? I was told to make sure the intercooler isn't plugged up with deposits.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the money take it to a dealer mech and have them check it out. Best bet imo

Old 11-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,747 Likes on 7,099 Posts

These are great cars but most...such as the candidate car in question...are of the age and mileage when problems CAN start occuring. Beside all the "typical used car checks", keep an eye/ear open for.....

Differential and rear wheel bearing noise (both somewhat troublesome on the X300s)

Suspension clunks (these cars are a bit hard on bushings)

Rattle-grinding noise from the engine (idler pulleys...not a big deal)

Fully operational radio/cd player, memory seats, and panel lights/displays would be a "plus" as these are known problem areas.

Another bonus would be if the records show the lower radiator hose being replaced somewhere along the line: it's a huge job .

On your road test watch out for tramlining, a known bugaboo with the the XJR/6. Some worse than others. Tires are a major player here.

My XJR has needed a number of repairs over the years but has been very reliable. That is, it has never let me down or left me stranded. I love the car...it does everything well.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-11-2010, 07:44 PM

Thanks, Doug.

I read that the rear bearings aren't sealed and need to be greased.

Also read that the lower rad hose job can cost up to $900 at a shop. Why is this such a huge job?

The outlook seems good though. Seriously considering getting the car.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,747 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Peregrine
Thanks, Doug.

I read that the rear bearings aren't sealed and need to be greased.

Well, they're not like modern sealed bearings, no. The hubs have seals but there is no (practical ) way of greasing the bearings....you'd have to tear down the hubs

Also read that the lower rad hose job can cost up to $900 at a shop. Why is this such a huge job?

This series of pics says it better than I can :-)

http://www.jag-lovers.org/snaps/snap...?id=1110599606

It's certainly not the type of job you'd do by the side of the road....or at Bubba's garage in Po-Dunk Nowhere :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 11-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having replaced the hose several times, I will second, third and fourth the recommendation to determine if the lower rad hose has been replaced recently! As well as the short hose leading to the coolant rail also located under the intake manifold. I would also have the cooling system checked for hydrocarbons. The AJ16 hides blown head gaskets remarkably well. As was mentioned, if the timing chain guides are original they will likely be very worn, and that is another "big" job. The ones I pulled out of a 220'000 km engine were shot to blazes and were on the verge of causing a much larger failure. If the car "tram lines" excessively, check the steering rack for movement. If loose, the rack is a really wretched job that is best avoided unless planning for a divorce... As you are in my neck of the woods (more or less) I would also look for signs of moisture around electrical connectors throughout the car. There are millions connectors and billions of miles of wiring and none of it likes damp weather. Any sign of corrosion should be investigated thoroughly. Getting under the car for a good reconnoitre is also highly recommended.

Just remember that this is a Jaguar after all. It requires an owner that keeps an eye on things and really likes fussing up the car. These Jags sure turn heads though! The 95-97 XJR is a true Land Shark.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:44 PM

Thanks, everyone.

Turftech, whereabouts are you located in the Fraser Valley? I'm in Abbotsford.

How do I check the condition of the timing chain guides? Is there another way to check for a blown head gasket? Telltale signs?

Thanks!

Old 11-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No real way to check the condition of the timing chain guides without performing a little surgery, but it wont be an issue with this engine.

The telltale sign for a blown head gasket is checking if there is any coolant in the oil. Just remove the oil filler cap and see if you can see any white foam or by checking on the dipstick

Old 11-12-2010, 06:26 PM

Found out that the car was sold today. Pretty choked.

Will keep my eye out for another one.

Thanks for your input, everyone!