XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Air Bag Removal Help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 02:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air Bag Removal Help.

Hello,

I am going to put a new steering wheel on my 96 VDP, I found a nice one with good wood, then had the leather replaced. I would like to do it myself and I have read how to do it, but it would be a challenge to get the front of the car in the air.

I am wondering what is the danger in the airbag removal. I assume the electrical connection, but I was wondering if turning the steering wheel to access the torq bolts before I undo the battery would be a problem? This way I can undo the bolts, then undo the battery connection and let the system discharge and then pull the bag and unplug it. I would also have to do the reverse to re-install the bag, plug the bag in, place it on the wheel, re-hitch the battery, then turn the wheel to tighen the airbag bolts.

Is this possible or am I looking for trouble? Also, what is up with the clock spring I have read about? Is this an issue too?

Thanks,

Kevin

Old 10-17-2015, 04:24 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

There isn't any need to get the front of the car "in the air" in order to change the steering wheel. First thing to do is disconnect the battery and go have a coffee, just to allow the system to discharge.

Then, undo the screws (torx if memory serves me right) at the rear of the steering wheel. You will have to turn the wheel left and right, in turn, to access both of these screws.

Then gently lift the airbag module/unit away from the wheel and disconnect the electrical connections, including the horn.

Place the unit out of harms way, in a safe location.

Then, changing the wheel is just a matter of undoing the large centre nut, but not fully. Undo it almost fully and then tap/thump/jiggle the wheel from behind to free it from the splined shaft, as it may be slightly "seized" in place. It will release, but as it has a large spring behind it, leaving the nut in place will prevent it suddenly coming free and breaking your nose!!

Refitting is just the reverse, but make sure your wheels are centred and in the straight ahead position before tightening everything up.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-17-2015, 04:36 AM

Ok,

I was worried about turning the steering wheel without fighting with it, but I guess a half turn each way shouldn't be that hard.

Thanks,

Kevin

There isn't any need to get the front of the car "in the air" in order to change the steering wheel. First thing to do is disconnect the battery and go have a coffee, just to allow the system to discharge.

Then, undo the screws (torx if memory serves me right) at the rear of the steering wheel. You will have to turn the wheel left and right, in turn, to access both of these screws.

Then gently lift the airbag module/unit away from the wheel and disconnect the electrical connections, including the horn.

Place the unit out of harms way, in a safe location.

Then, changing the wheel is just a matter of undoing the large centre nut, but not fully. Undo it almost fully and then tap/thump/jiggle the wheel from behind to free it from the splined shaft, as it may be slightly "seized" in place. It will release, but as it has a large spring behind it, leaving the nut in place will prevent it suddenly coming free and breaking your nose!!

Refitting is just the reverse, but make sure your wheels are centred and in the straight ahead position before tightening everything up.

Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
sogood (10-17-2015)
Old 10-17-2015, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

Here's a tip for making some single use turn plates.

Take a couple of good quality plastic carrier bags. Smear the inside with grease (or even washing up liquid would do). Put the bags flat on the floor and drive the front wheels on to them. This will significantly decrease the resistance to turning the wheel.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:45 AM

All done !

Easy and nice to have smooth wood on the steering wheel!

Thanks for the help,

Kevin