XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

AJ16 virtues and vices?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 04:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting, cheers Andy - thanks for the traction heads-up, always remember it (XJR) as being the first model whete a lot of us heard the term ‘traction control’....

Old 06-30-2018, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

I thought that they did do the diesel option. In fact on one of the Top Gear Shows I recall them driving a diesel powered XJ probably around a early decade of the 2000s and it got great fuel economy. Or did I imagine all that???

Old 07-07-2018, 09:14 PM
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I found an XJR/6 for ridiculously short money. I also acquired an XK8 Coupe. Unfortunately X300 had to go at this point. I like the XJR/6 and I am contemplating installing the 3.46 LSD from X300 that I have left over. Given how overbuilt the AJ16 is, I was wondering if twin-charging it is a good idea. Essentially, install an M45 or a similar small supercharger with electromagnetic clutch (like the one used on Mercedes SLK, similar to the clutch on AC compressors). This supercharger will only work as a low-rpm anti-lag device for a large turbocharger that will take over at higher RPMs. When the turbo produces enough boost, the supercharger clutch is disengaged. Using turbocharger this large alone would have produced tons of turbo lag. If you supplement it with a small supercharger there will be no lag. Small used superchargers are dirt cheap. Ultimately, this setup would need front-mount intercooler, water-methanol injection and an aftermarket engine management computer.

I have a spare normally aspirated AJ16 engine collecting dust. I am considering using it for experimentation. The stock X300 pistons are unusable for this application, the compression ratio is too high. I can get a rotating assembly from XJR/6 for almost nothing. Are the stock XJR/6 pistons cast or forged? What else will likely break?

Old 07-07-2018, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by XJRengineer
Steve
The "traction control" on X300 is pretty crude. I've experience the rear of my manual XJR get "loose" accelerating off a roundabout in the drive, when there must have been a diesel spill on the road. The traction control is nowhere near the level of modern stability control systems.
I was driving on a rainy day when the road was about half dry. My XJR started skiiing on a 30 degree bend - there was no sign that traction control did anything - just had to use the steering wheel to correct the tail without hitting the truck on the left or concrete wall on the right. It was quite scary.....not that I know X300's traction control is almost non-existent I would have to be more restrained while driving in the rain and, better still, replace the tires with better performance on wet surface.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:26 PM
Received 649 Likes on 309 Posts

The pistons in AJ16 engines are cast.

I would recommend twin turbochargers , if you want the best trade-off between low speed torque and high power.

Engineering a solution with an electromagnetic clutch would be a lot of work If you wanted a large single turbo solution it would be easier to use the turbo to "blow through" the standard Eaton M90 supercharger. However, you would need a charge cooler between the turbocharger outlet and the supercharger inlet to stop the temperatures inside the supercharger from getting too high.

The following users liked this post:
someguywithajag (01-10-2021)
Old 07-09-2018, 04:44 PM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Qvhk
I was driving on a rainy day when the road was about half dry. My XJR started skiiing on a 30 degree bend - there was no sign that traction control did anything - just had to use the steering wheel to correct the tail without hitting the truck on the left or concrete wall on the right. It was quite scary.....not that I know X300's traction control is almost non-existent I would have to be more restrained while driving in the rain and, better still, replace the tires with better performance on wet surface.
my XJR is glued to the road in the wet on Bridgestone Potenzas. When they’re half worn, I start to experience some wet drifting if I push it, so I always replace them before they get to the wear bars.
the traction control is a horrible ‘on-off’ agricultural experience which I think is so dramatic it is actually dangerous - it just kills the engine for about 1-1.5 secs then kicks back in and nearly rips the diff out. So if it’s slippery I actually turn it off, and just stay alert. With good tyres I have plenty of grip.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Traction Control Dampening ,

One way to dampen the traction control over responding would be to add a resistor on either of the 2 wires coming out of the bottom of the TC actuator . The size is yet to be determined . This would slow down the throttle retraction and maybe the back to normal resumption as it's not spring loaded .

One thing not determined is the followup position sensor on top of the actuator . This must come to agreement with the retraction command signal after a unknown period of time and may flag the TC inop light other then the TC in use light . The inline resistor would have to be made waterproof with some electrical shrink wrap after applying some light bulb grease before heat shrinking . .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 07-09-2018 at 08:22 PM.
someguywithajag (01-10-2021)
Old 07-16-2018, 12:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by AL NZ
my XJR is glued to the road in the wet on Bridgestone Potenzas. When they’re half worn, I start to experience some wet drifting if I push it, so I always replace them before they get to the wear bars.
the traction control is a horrible ‘on-off’ agricultural experience which I think is so dramatic it is actually dangerous - it just kills the engine for about 1-1.5 secs then kicks back in and nearly rips the diff out. So if it’s slippery I actually turn it off, and just stay alert. With good tyres I have plenty of grip.
The X300 is a very heavy car, so I agree that better performing tire on the wet is more reassuring than traction control.

Old 05-27-2021, 11:03 AM
Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts
Cool I STILL appreciate the engine of my X330.

I just drove 2326 mile round trip (including one side excursion) to Tijuana, Baja California Norte. The side excursion was to Puerto Nuevo 33 miles further down Baja California's Mexican Federal Highway 1D (their toll road). The X330 performed flawlessly. I use the speed control to cruise at 96.56 Kph (60 mph). As a result, the AJ16 in the X330 returns 25 MPG (US gallons).

I don't care if people pass me in their faster vehicles. I usually see them at the next rest area, or further down the road as I'm only about 10-15 minutes behind them. I'm happy to sit in the air-conditioned comfort of my luxurious Jaguar, traveling no less than 500 miles between refueling stops. I'm happy to let other drivers flash past me at between 75-80 mph. I generally arrive more relaxed and less frazzled than other drivers. (I drove 921.33 on my way back up Interstate 5 before taking a four-hour sleep break to drive the extra 208 miles in order to make it home). I doubt that many other Luxury Saloon drivers can make these kinds of claims. The 1997 Jaguar XJ6L (X330) just "kept on truckin'". The proud "leaper" on the hood (bonnet) lets everyone know that I'm driving one of the world's greatest automobiles.

God help me, I adore this vintage machine!

Last edited by captainobvious1; 05-27-2021 at 11:08 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by captainobvious1:
Cafcpete (05-27-2021), dagny747 (05-28-2021), Nobeel Masri (05-27-2021), Rivguy (05-27-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 08:38 AM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

While I appreciate your relaxed approach, I hope that you take the opportunity to open it up once in awhile:-) There's nothing like flying along with the sunroof open over a buck and hearing the cat roar like she was meant to............

captainobvious1 (05-28-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 04:07 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dagny747
While I appreciate your relaxed approach, I hope that you take the opportunity to open it up once in awhile:-) There's nothing like flying along with the sunroof open over a buck and hearing the cat roar like she was meant to............
I was westbound on US 30 when people began tailgating the Jag. I "put my foot into it" and the big cat accelerated away rather quickly. (I think that I surprised more than a few drivers).
Some people believe that the big, luxurious 6-cylinder Jag is a slowpoke... WRONG!

Last edited by captainobvious1; 05-28-2021 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 06:10 PM

What you must understand is that I was trying to stretch my "fuel dollars". On this long journey, I wanted to spend less than $500.00 for the entire trip. (I'm certain that I spent about $440.00 on fuel). Premium fuel in California costs about $4.67 a gallon. (This was on Slauson Avenue, about two miles south of the Los Angeles city limits on Interstate 5). This was one of the few places open during the middle of the night. I wanted to stretch that fuel as far as I could and ended up refueling in Willows, California. (I could have continued on for another 65 miles but I didn't want to risk running out of fuel on Interstate 5). I refueled in Albany, OR, 430 miles later.
Incidentally, The X330 isn't burning oil and it is running well (not leaking) on the Valvoline Full Synthetic 5w-40 Oil.
While I was pulled into "Secondary Inspection" in San Ysidro Customs, I burned up a lot of fuel sitting there. (What a pain!)

PS. Gasoline in Tijuana (Rendichicas) was running about $4.25 per gallon for 91 Octane Premium Unleaded Fuel.

Last edited by captainobvious1; 05-28-2021 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonn
Thanks again, AL - yes, many moons ago I was subscribed to XJR6.com and understand Andy's unique breadth of knowledge and experience, on these engines - and also understand his insistence that the factory ECU is the only ECU to use. Mine wouldn't work with the factory ECU, being in a different Gen car, but am always open to suggestions.
Does anyone know if Andy recommends his crank sensor bracket on the xjR6? I had good results with the x300, but havn't heard whether or not it improves performance on the S/C six.

Old 05-12-2022, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by dejer
Does anyone know if Andy recommends his crank sensor bracket on the xjR6? I had good results with the x300, but havn't heard whether or not it improves performance on the S/C six.
I used the Andy bracket on my XJR/6. Good results, works as advertised.

Cheers
DD

XJRengineer (05-14-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 03:54 PM
Received 247 Likes on 156 Posts

Yes it’s great on the XJR6, I have one fitted on mine, very happy.

Also for those who like these things there are dyno readings which I have stolen from Facebook post (NOT mine). These show improvement with Andy bracket also did a run with/without air filter (?)

Facebook post

Old 05-14-2022, 03:18 AM
Received 649 Likes on 309 Posts

Thanks for the dyno plots. It's great to be able to provide potential customers with evidence of the improvement from fitting my bracket, if used in conjunction with no air filter.